PDA

View Full Version : Restarting a SS phase after many years

systemviper
11-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Hi, I have a SS Phase that I want to restart after about 6 years of it hanging around in my attic.

I purchased it from Runmc @ Under the Ice, it's still a monster, it would do -50c when i started it up and it was hooked to the board, then it would vary based on the load I would put on it...
Ron and Under the Ice are Top Notch

Anyway I just picked up some new hoses and gauges. I think i still have some of the coolant, I need to look at back up again, i forgot if it was r509 or something like that.

So now i need to remember how to best get it going again,

I will keep you posted as to what i am doing and how it works out for me.

Is there anything i need top know besides just plugging it in to the wall socket?

here is a pic of it...

https://img.techpowerup.org/181104/image-id-378920.jpg

Buckeye
11-04-2018, 05:54 PM
I believe they used R507 ?

Plug it in a fire it up, if it doesn't get frosty then it prolly had a leak.

Charles Wirth
11-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Yes it was R507.

If you do it yourself, adjust for 5psi on the low side while running.

systemviper
11-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Yea, i have directions somewhere from Ron @ under the ice for recharging it. I might have even saved it...

I also have a new head mounting for it, not replacing the chilly1 but everything around it....

I'll plug it in over the next few days and see what happens.

I have a lot of questions once i start getting my boards ready, there is so much that is better they back in the day.
I remember using those grey erasers to protect my boards.
I know the old stuff will work, but i want to know the cutting edge way to set it up.
Also need those blue rags too, :rofl: blue rags, everybody has them

I also see there is a heater for the bottom of the board being sold by Kingpin, is that helpful for a SS phase?

thanks

Buckeye
11-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Depends on where you live for the heater. I am out in the central valley of CA, low humidity here so I had no need for that heater.

This is a guide I made for that stuff.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?224911-Xtreme-Phase-Change-Insulation-Guide

systemviper
11-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Yea, i remember that thread, it was a very big help, i used it a lot and used a lot of eraser.

Is there better insulation now days, 8 years later. I just picked up some liquid electrical tape to try?
I also read about some other stuff to that you just paint on like a nail polish, but it isn't nail polish it's called something else.
Dunno but I read it somewhere.

90% of the boards I will overclock with this winter will be strictly for overclocking so i am not worried about saving the board for a sale or anything but
making sure i get a good seal and it isn't crazy hard.

I do know that what you wrote I did use....

Thanks man... :up:

uRnOdAiSy
12-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Systemviper, great to see a phase rig being fired up!

Buckeye, I benefited from your guide years ago and use the same methods today - thanks!

Buckeye
12-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Thanks ! :)