PDA

View Full Version : PC Down... MEDIC!!!!

Cyaneed
03-22-2018, 09:31 AM
My system has been running flawlessly since 2013. I rebuilt the cooling system because the hoses were getting pretty bad and I needed to clean the entire system anyhow. After I put it all back together I noticed Prime 95 was sending my temps into crazy land so I figured the thermal grease I used was too old. Replaced it with new AS5 and now if I try to boot into Win10 I get "b1initializelibrary failed 0xc000003f". If I try to use a Win7 DVD I get a blue screen with 0xc00003f. If I try to boot into Linux it fails out unless I boot into UEFI with Fedora. Even then, the usability seems extremely limited.

I've run IPDT64 with UEFI and it passes everything but the CPU Frequency check. I've tested the RAM with Memtest and it passes with flying colors. I'm able to boot the machine only if the OS is a CLI based like DOS or UEFI Linux, otherwise it's a no-go. What can I do to determine whether my Processor or Motherboard is the issue? I'm thinking its the proc because it's old and the temp shot up to 100C for a few seconds with the bad AS5. At this point I can't afford to replace both, and I CERTAINLY can't afford to upgrade the processor, MB and RAM to newer stuff. Basically I just need to know how to troubleshoot this further so I can get back to running because no X-plane 11 or Arma 3 is making me very cranky LOL.

Thanks in advance.

Charles Wirth
03-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Re mount/replace your heat sink with new paste

Sparky
03-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Are you overclocked? If so, stock clock it and start that process over.

Cyaneed
03-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Remount and replace was the first thing I did. The UEFI was set back to defaults so everything is standard clock speed and automatic everything. I was really hoping the Windows Error code would be a clue but I can't find any reference to 0xc00003f anywhere. On top of that, I can't find an earlier version of IPDT64 to determine if that CPU Frequency Failed is a version issue or an actual diagnostic but everything else passes so I'm confused.

Sparky
03-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Unplug and reseat all PCIe stuff.

Turn off Fast boot (and/or CSM) in the UEFI

Cyaneed
03-22-2018, 08:08 PM
Fastboot is always off. and if I disable CSM it won't see any HD's or USB's. Right now it's set to enabled and everything is legacy only.

zanzabar
03-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Try reseating the cpu, then try with each stick of ram.

Fastboot is always off. and if I disable CSM it won't see any HD's or USB's. Right now it's set to enabled and everything is legacy only.

You have windows 7, why are you using legacy boot.

Cyaneed
03-23-2018, 07:48 AM
So it might be MB. I tried disabling CSM and the board won't even boot into UEFI. It'll just reset and come back with CSM enabled. If I try keeping CSM enabled but changing all the CSM variables to UEFI Only instead of Legacy Only, I get WSC 0xc0000229, but it still won't boot. Using Win10 BTW. ;)

zanzabar
03-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Try booting the windows 10 thumb drive with all of your storage unplugged.

Cyaneed
03-24-2018, 02:25 PM
Tried that. same outcome. I'll be replacing the MB sometime next week. Bought an ASUS Maximus VI Formula on Ebay so I'm hoping it'll be at least as good as ths ASRock has been, well till now. LOL