PDA

View Full Version : Antec Sonata

Ubermouser
02-17-2004, 06:24 PM
I was looking for a dual 120mm case that I could mod to have a window and add 3 120mm fans... 1 on the bottom, one on the top, 1 on the side.

The Antec Sonata looks like an incredibly good case to choose, and all I need are some statistics.
Does anyone with this case Like it? hate it? Does it have enough room? Will it fit under a desk? Is it loud as a monster? Is there a case like it with 4 drive bays instead of 3? Thanks for your feedback.

Speed_Mechanic
02-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Ubermouser
Is there a case like it with 4 drive bays instead of 3? Thanks for your feedback.

Have you checked out the Antec SLK3700 BQE?

FreZhm@ker
02-18-2004, 10:02 AM
I have just bought the 3700BQE. It's almost the same case as Sonata, but it is bigger and IMO it's more nice :D When i get the time, i will also put some more 120mm fans in it to boost the airflow!

There was no trouble installing the HW in the case exepct, my Abit AI7 wouldnt work after the case change (stupid me :( )

hollywood
02-22-2004, 08:59 PM
I have the Sonata, actually my father does as I sold him my "old" system. Yes...It's a really nice case. Very quiet with the supplied fans. If you slap two 120mm Panaflos in there, it really cools well and still isn't too loud. It's very compact for it's size and the hard-drive mounting is sweet as they load from the side. You get alot of hardware and screws with it as well. My only complaint with the Sonata is that you can't remove the other side panel. Only the side that uncovers the motherboard and stuff comes off...as the top, other side and bottom are all the same piece of rolled sheetmetal.

Also, black picks up dust quick...

Ubermouser
02-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Is this the same way with the 3700 or the P160?
It needs a window.. I was hoping I could get one put inside with a 120 mm fan.
I'll not have a case with no window.. Hell, even my Dell has a window. Laptop? thats going a bit too far

Tedinde
02-23-2004, 12:49 AM
I've been Buying the 3700 for customers rigs lately. Nice, roomy and quiet with the 2 fans. I preferr it over the Sonata.

3700's at staples It used to be a steal with a $15 off $75 coupon. Plus free shipping.

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=IM1372828

These are nice and cheap also

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=IM1366522

I got a sonata for like $84 after some deals and rebates onece from officedepot.com

benonmsn
02-23-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood
I have the Sonata, actually my father does as I sold him my "old" system. Yes...It's a really nice case. Very quiet with the supplied fans. If you slap two 120mm Panaflos in there, it really cools well and still isn't too loud. It's very compact for it's size and the hard-drive mounting is sweet as they load from the side. You get alot of hardware and screws with it as well. My only complaint with the Sonata is that you can't remove the other side panel. Only the side that uncovers the motherboard and stuff comes off...as the top, other side and bottom are all the same piece of rolled sheetmetal.

Also, black picks up dust quick...

i agree. i put a better 120mm in there, better airflow. reralyl quiet, great hard drive mounting mech. its very compact as well. good space for airflow and routing, i really enjoy that case

Speed_Mechanic
02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Ubermouser
Is this the same way with the 3700 or the P160?
It needs a window.. I was hoping I could get one put inside with a 120 mm fan.
I'll not have a case with no window.. Hell, even my Dell has a window. Laptop? thats going a bit too far

Make a Window. Use Lexan instead of Plexiglass most "pre-modded" cases come with.

Ubermouser
02-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Lexan is overkill.. Lexan is an Industrial strength 'bullet proof material' in as little as a quarter of an inch.

I'm not saying I wouldnt mind having a bullet proof computer window, If someone ever took a shotgun to the computer, everything but the window would be ripped to pieces :D

And for making a window..

Trust me I would.. but my cordless Black and Decker 3.3 volt drill has had better days.. It cant even bore through the ~1 mm steel in the RaidMaxx case. Honest to god. :shrug:

Do you think that a simple precut Lexan or Plexi window from FrozenCPU or VoyeurMods will fit on an Antec Window? Do the Antec cases have removable motherboard tray? Cuz hell, if you cant remove the back of them, where would you stick all the wires? That must be why they dont come with windows in the first place :p:

Darkfold
03-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Nope, wiring is a pain in the arse with the sonata. You can run molex's under the back of the mobo (just, and my god was it a squeeze) Dont go for this case if you wanna see the innards. Get one with a removeable mobo tray and 2 removeable sides if possible. Dont get me wrong, the Sonata is an incredible 'sophisticated' case, but it wont like modding. I moded a new sidepanel up for one as i didnt want the handle/latch and i thought it would look good with a window. It totally wrecked the look of it, so i just have the standard side on it but with moded dust filters to keep the inside clean, it is a bit odd when you see a perfect replica of the side venting in dust on the side of the psu!