PDA

View Full Version : [News] Highly transparent solar cells could be boon for green energy

StyM
10-24-2017, 11:39 AM
http://hexus.net/tech/news/psu/111380-highly-transparent-solar-cells-boon-green-energy/

?Highly transparent solar cells represent the wave of the future for new solar applications,? said Richard Lunt, the Johansen Crosby Endowed Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at MSU. ?We analyzed their potential and show that by harvesting only invisible light, these devices can provide a similar electricity-generation potential as rooftop solar while providing additional functionality to enhance the efficiency of buildings, automobiles and mobile electronics.?

MSU scientists consider the thin, plastic-like material of these transparent solar cells to be suitable not just for windows of offices and dwellings but also for car windows, cell phones or other devices with a clear surface. Absorbing invisible wavelengths of light (like infra red and ultra violet rays) to generate energy, the transparent solar cells are about 5 per cent efficient. Opaque cells as used in roofing systems can of course harvest more light, and their efficiency levels are typically about 15 to 18 per cent. The MSU team reckon they can improve the transparent solar cell efficiencies as they are estimated to be only working at approx a third of their potential.

adamsleath
10-25-2017, 12:01 AM
that's a really clever and beautiful invention / idea. i like it.

Sparky
10-31-2017, 08:23 AM
Double duty - absorbing the IR and such reduces heat buildup inside the building (although during the winter you may want that!), and it makes a little bit of electricity. I like it.

Think of all those tall glass skyscrapers!

I wonder how much it would cost to do vs regular glass windows though. Ouch. Well, ROI may not be there initially, but it is just a start.

adamsleath
10-31-2017, 09:13 PM
could really suit a hot climate where cooling is required though...

turbo098
11-01-2017, 06:48 PM
maybe i missed it but could you stack them. you could have them 3 to 5 deep to help with the low efficiency.