PDA

View Full Version : 1080 AMG cooling idea...

grey
02-17-2004, 01:02 AM
This is my "I have too much time on my hands" idea. Any thoughts would be great. What if...

...reverse the exhaust fans in the back of an Antec 1080 AMG and run a 120mm 70+cfm exhaust fan off a blow hole at the top of the case.
.....meanwhile adding a reversed 92mm where the pci slots are to bring in cool air from the rear of the case onto the video card.
......and an 80mm mounted to the outside of the case to force a little air in behind the mobo. (I tried to draw a pic but it wasn't good.)
Basically all the regular case fans will be intake while the power supply and the top blow hole will be the only exhaust. Heated air towards the center and then sucked up and out with high enough air pressure to also cut down on this case's ability to collect dust. The fan on the outside of the case blowing in behind the mobo was just an after thought.
That space between the back of the mobo and the case is probably just warm, still air....I'm assuming anyway.
The end result would leave 6-80mm and one 92mm intake fans and a 120mm exhaust with the 92mm power supply fan also exhausting.

Any thoughts?

Death ++
02-20-2004, 12:52 AM
i have considered this idea with this case (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=103_104&products_id=540&osCsid=844b88e921008b6d080de9c4b1d4fe3b) because u can have a 120mm blow hole drilled in from them and im too lazy to do it myself. it would also have 2 more 80mm fans above the psu to help exhaust. i already have the intake fan in the pci slots bring air in on the vid card, but my other 2 80mm fans in the back are still used for exhaust and aside from the psu, are my only exhause fans. i dont know about the fan for the back of the mobo; i doubt it would really do anything but dont take my word. i cant hurt to try it.

how about u try it all out and report the different temps u get if any. :toast:

grey
02-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Not change enough to freak over. :down: ...but i had to try it. :D

41c for the cpu and 26c for case, verses the old 45c and 27c which I'm assuming will return with the dust.(while running D2OL) I did scrap the idea of a fan behind the mobo and I removed the 80mm fan on the side so it wouldn't disturb the air flow theory thing. Did some other little things but not much extreme.
So it works. 2-80mm front intake, 2-80mm rear intake, a 120mm exhaust on top, a 120mm cooling the cpu and Northbridge and a 92mm cooling the video card.

Time to stop building air cooled pc's. :p:

DOA
02-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Yep, water cooled with an external radiator and pump is the way to go.

SPiKE
03-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by DOA
Yep, water cooled with an external radiator and pump is the way to go.

I'm going to put the radiator and my pump inside the case.