PDA

View Full Version : ISO question

Smizack
02-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I've got a theory. Any one try this yet?

I want to make an iso of my xp cd, then edit it to change the ntoskrnl.exe. If I just swap out the original windows bootscreen with mine, save and burn the iso, will it work?
If so, this would save me a lot of time with changing other things like the start button, and editing the registry all over whenever I reinstall.

Smizack
02-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Another question. I can't locate the dllcache folder in the iso, so I'm assuming that it's created from the original explorer.ex_ file.

I need it not to install the original explorer.exe in the dllcache folder.

Any thoughts on this?

No replies, so I guess I'll test this tonight.

Smizack
02-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Am I the only one that's tried this?

Ok, I get most of it to work. Like adding Sp1, replacing pics, and the start button hack, but it's getting the original ntoskrnl.exe from somewhere that I'm not sure of.
I replaced the original explorer.exe, and it dosen't show up in dllcache when I go to safe mode, so I'm confused now.

Smizack
02-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Ok, got it to work great.

I'd like to take this time to thank everyone that replied for all thier hard work and efforts.:D

sjohnson
02-21-2004, 08:59 PM
lol, must have missed this one. I blame the cherry-flavored Walmart crack and an overfull pipe...

Smizack
02-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
lol, must have missed this one. I blame the cherry-flavored Walmart crack and an overfull pipe...

Hey, I told ya to watch how full you got it.

Rocks don't pack well.:D

Teus
02-25-2004, 02:06 AM
explain how you did that plz. it's interesting :)

IFMU
02-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Id like more info as well on this one.... So, as the man said, 'SLPAIN YO'SELF!

Smizack
02-25-2004, 10:19 PM
I uh, fumbled through most of it. And got bits from other sites. But after making about 15 coasters, I got it to work great.

To start out I wanted my start button hack in place, so I copied my current explorer.exe, and filelist.xml. On a cd it's a compressed file like: EXPLORER.EX_ , and so on, but I didn't compress any of them, I just renamed them and put them in the I386 folder, deleting the originals.

For the bootscreen you can't just copy it. Windows setup (mabey wfp, not sure) gets a copy from another location so:

You make a folder in the root dir of the iso, named $OEM$(that's where your new ntoskrnl.exe is going to go, only it will be named oemkrnl.ex_) and then another folder inside that one named $$. Then another one inside that one named SYSTEM32 like "\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32"

Ok, now you have to tell windows where to get you new logo.
Use this line in notepad:
bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1
bootcfg /Timeout 0

save it as bootlogo.cmd, and put it and your oemkrnl.exe in the new SYSTEM32 folder. Along with your winnt.sif file. (I'll explain that in a minute.
I had some problems with the cd picking up the bootlogo.cmd, so I placed a copy in the $OEM$ folder by itself also. Just redundant I guess.

Any other files you may want changed like the default background, I just saved whatever pic I wanted (like BLISS.JP_), to the original file name from the cd, and replaced it in \I386 folder.

You will want to disable windows file protection also, so you can edit your hivesft.inf file.

This is the line your going to add:
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SFCSetting",0x00010001,0xffffff9d
Here's (http://www.msfn.org/unattended/images/hivesft_sfcsetting.gif) a screenshot.

Now for the winnt.sif. (goes in the SYSTEM32 and I386 folders) You need this to run the bootlogo.cmd file and it can be used to automate the install. It gives specific information so you don't have to sit there for 30 minutes. Here's (http://www.msfn.org/unattended/xp/reference.htm) a rescource list for the winnt.sif.
Thanks to http://www.msfn.org/ for that info.

Here's a copy of mine:

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemSkipEula=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
UnattendSwitch="yes"
WaitForReboot="No"
Repartition=No
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
AutoActivate=no
ProgramFilesDir="C:\My Program Files"
CommonProgramFilesDir="C:\My Program Files\My Common Files"
KeyboardLayout="US"

[GUIRunOnce]
C:\Windows\System32\bootlogo.cmd

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="your password"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
AutoLogon = Yes
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=20

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
Yresolution=768
Vrefresh=60

[UserData]
ProductKey=****-****-****-****-****
FullName="Smizack"
OrgName=""
ComputerName=

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language=00000409

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=*****

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
msmsgs=off
msnexplr=off
freecell=off
hearts=off
minesweeper=off
pinball=off
solitaire=off
spider=off
zonegames=off

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=No

And that's about it. I'll be doing some more soon, like automatic software installs, and registry editing.

IFMU
02-26-2004, 05:56 AM
[Watches Smiz fly overhead like an F-16]
Oh, is that all?
[/Watches Smiz fly overhead like an F-16]

sjohnson
02-26-2004, 06:52 AM
"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic"

rofl :)

Smizack
02-26-2004, 08:23 PM
LOL!

It's not too bad once you get into it IFMU. The worst that could happen is you make a few extra coasters. I did.

That wasn't very magical either.

Smizack
02-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
"Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic"

rofl :)

Excellent quote!:D

sjohnson
02-26-2004, 08:45 PM
Quote is from Heinlein, I believe. Old school SF writer.

Imagine what a medeival nobleman would make of a BIC lighter :D