PDA

View Full Version : 'GORN' For HTC Vive: Stupid, Silly, Gross, Violent, Fun

StyM
03-02-2017, 05:16 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gorn-htc-vive-hands-on,33795.html

Among the many VR titles we?ve previewed this week at GDC, GORN stands out as particularly stupid, silly, gross, and violent--which is to say, it was one of our favorites. It?s a simple and cartoonish game--what you might expect if the Team Fortress 2 devs got together to whip up a basic VR title but got drunk before they finished.

You?re a gladiator, trapped in a bizarre little outdoor arena. Above you, sitting all around the arena, are disembodied heads. Their purpose is to mock you. The biggest head floats high up on a pedestal, front and center. This head seems to be the main head; a king, perhaps. Via his demeaning words, he quickly guides you through how to play the game. You can make fists (you have two Vive wands) and grab weapons; whack the incoming gladiator in whatever way brings you the greatest joy.
His lines include this one: ?Make a fist to show me you know how to fight. Yes...yes??

The kingly head makes you salute him before the gameplay begins in each round (which cleverly signals the game that you?re ready). A gate slowly drops down, revealing an enemy gladiator. He?s enormous and bald, and reminded me somewhat of a more muscled King Hippo from Mike Tyson?s Punch-Out on the original NES. He looks bizarrely unstable on his feet--programmer Ruan Rothmann of Free Lives explained that the gladiator is probably drunk. In any case, he looks like he has a plan as he stomps towards you, but as the actual Mike Tyson once said, ?Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.?
And so I did that. Blood squirted from the gladiator?s face, and he stumbled back. He swung, I ducked, and I ducked again. Then I punched his lights out, which resulted in more blood and a chorus of guffaws from the floating head peanut gallery above. The giant head demanded that I raise my arms in victory; I obliged, and the motion signaled to the game that I was ready to close out the round.
In Round Two, I got a weapon with which to defend myself: a mace on a stick. I picked up the (virtual) mace and was shocked to discover that the handle was made of (virtual) rubber. It wobbled in my hand; I assumed there was suddenly a bizarre tracking issue, but then I heard Rothmann chuckling. ?Is it supposed to be a wet noodle?? I asked. ?Yeah,? he laughed.