PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to spread the TIM?

toolbox
02-12-2004, 09:13 PM
I was curious about what you used to spread the TIM all over the IHS?

dim3z
02-12-2004, 09:30 PM
an old lan membership:D

Karnivore
02-12-2004, 09:34 PM
plastic wrap (glad or similar) stretched over finger tip.

freecableguy
02-12-2004, 10:58 PM
rectangular blade...like the kind you always see drug dealer in movies using to put their coke in lines...whatever, you know what I'm talking about...

TheDude
02-12-2004, 10:59 PM
I do same as Karnivore ;)

sjohnson
02-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Agree - finger condom made from plastic wrap.

The heat from the finger helps soften the paste, allowing tiny amounts to be spread evenly.

Rokk1972
02-12-2004, 11:31 PM
VISA card

toolbox
02-12-2004, 11:59 PM
I use a plastic hand glove. I actually have them so I can use them :)

Silversink
02-13-2004, 01:31 AM
I use a laminated piece of paper, it flexes just enough to apply a very very thin layer of paste.

That or I just use the Arctic Silver method of placing a small dab on the center of the processor and let it spread by itself.

The Stilt
02-13-2004, 03:22 AM
Newer TIM:s like AS5 or Ceramique should not be spreaded. Only put a small amount on heatspreader or core and put the heatsink on. Pressure of heatsink will spread TIM perfectly and it doesnt leave any air / hair / dirt between heatsink and processor like it would when you spread it with other methods.

TheDude
02-13-2004, 03:50 AM
I use a 'Clean" plastic bag....not a "make my day do you feel lucky one".:D

Get it? dirty & hairy....:rolleyes:

st0nedpenguin
02-13-2004, 08:36 AM
I used to use a craft knife, or sometimes a razor, but I just tend to pop a drop on there now and apply the HSF, works really well, and with this current P4 I saw a drop of about 3c from the spreading method.

John Cena
02-24-2004, 04:21 PM
I usually rip off some cardboard box edge and use that to apply it. Usually the saying is to use a Credit Card.

faruquehabib
02-25-2004, 08:19 PM
i use a guitar pic...never failed me yet. it's all ive ever used :D

PyroTeknik
02-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Karnivore
plastic wrap (glad or similar) stretched over finger tip.

ditto

Twisted
02-26-2004, 09:02 PM
razor or drop on center method

LoudHoward
02-28-2004, 01:28 PM
I use surgical gloves

sinn
03-04-2004, 10:17 PM
pressure from mounting heatsink (As5)

Castor
03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
I alcohol the proc, the hs, and a finger condom...once all have dried...I put a very small amount and spread it around. With a lapped heatsink and Barton core...you don't need much on there.
It also helps to smear some AS on the heatsink and wipe it away before putting the heatsink on as well. This forces the AS into the small divots before being placed on the processor.

Attitudx
03-25-2004, 11:42 AM
honestly i just use my finger no protection :)

apathy^2
03-27-2004, 02:58 PM
razor

Liquid3D
03-28-2004, 08:31 AM
As was stated earlier NO Thermal Paste should be spread! In fact even though it states on Arctic Silver's site that spreading is recommended on Athlon's, this is only because the manufacturer fears too large of a "dollop" would be used. It's simply a fail-safe, because everyone's definition of what a "grain" sized drop, or dollop should be may differ. If too much of their electrically conductive (AS5) is used, and it compresses out causing contact between SMD's, a short can occur.

Spreading incorperates air into the paste no matter what you use! The absolute best method (this based on several personal conversations with Arctic Silver) is to place a "small" drop in the center of your Athlon64/Intel Prescott (or any other CPU) equal to 2% of total surface area. Then simply mount the heatsink/waterblock carefully. This is about the smallest amount you can out of the tube, anyway, as AS5 is very thick.

In fact, your core comprises only about 30% of the total surface area of any given IHS, therefore spreading the paste, is analogous to "throwing a blanket" over the CPU. Since the heat will be concentrated in the center of the IHS many manufacturers actually leave a slight concave protrusion as a safety feature. In theory this leaves your heatsink balancing, or contacting the IHS on it's center. The area spreading centrifugally out from the center may not be making contact with your heatsink. And it's in these circumstances, spreading a paste will have the opposite effect, trapping heat, instead of conducting it. Thi by virtue of it's design.

http://www.ksbrainstorms.com/2004_0328Image0028.JPG

As you can see spreading, not only incorperates air, but has you applying 65% more paste then you should.

http://www.ksbrainstorms.com/20040328Image0052.JPG

Soulburner
03-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Can you put the heatsink down all the way, then pick it back up to show us how much that little dot spreads?

Karnivore
03-28-2004, 01:21 PM
I've not used AS5 enough to form an opinion. As for AS3 spread thin has always produced the lowest temps for me. and the best way I've found to do so, is Glad wrap or similar on fingertip. As thinly as I spread AS3 I'm not sure air pockets could be an issue, however I can guarantee "plop and flop" method would never be able to come close to thin application I use.

sinn
03-31-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Soulburner
Can you put the heatsink down all the way, then pick it back up to show us how much that little dot spreads?

when you pick and up, and put it back down again, you trap air into it. once you put it on, you should tighten it, then try to twist it about 2 degrees in either direction, do not remove it after putting it down unless you plan on starting all over

Soulburner
04-01-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by sinn
when you pick and up, and put it back down again, you trap air into it. once you put it on, you should tighten it, then try to twist it about 2 degrees in either direction, do not remove it after putting it down unless you plan on starting all over
I'm only asking so I can see how much it spreads out.

DrunkMonkey
04-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I use the blob and drop method also but I specifically use Ceramique so that if its too much I won't short the proc. I suppose there's a chance of thermal insulation around the perimeter but...oh well.