PDA

View Full Version : Lost My ability to play online games...

hedge
02-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Well, about three weeks ago I was abruptly informed that I can no longer use dial-up to get connected to the internet. I guess my phone lines are so old and rotten that my modem cannot communicate with my isp. Even as I type this, I drove 20 minutes to Weber State University to access the internet. I have talked with my phone company (several times, actually) and they won't do a dang thing about it because "we only guarantee voice over our phone lines." I qam currently trying to find a way to get the internet, more than likely through a wireless isp, and also to ditch my phone company because they are about a usefull as a flat tire. Thanks for listening to me, I just needed to get this off my chest.

pulverizer
02-12-2004, 04:45 PM
no cable internet by you?

`schr0et
02-13-2004, 12:59 PM
My friend the days of dial-up ISP are coming to an end.

More and more people are starting to realize that putting up with dial-up is simply not acceptable in the coming of ages.

Cable and DSL can seem expensive at first, but with the costs you save from having to add a second phone line or always typing up your one phone line will make you happy beyond beleif.

Trust me I used every dial-up ISP there is, everyone from spending 6 years with AOL (who caused me to cut ties because they charged me $400 for one month because of their mistake) to netzero to earthlink, they all suck.

Cable or DSL's the way to go.

Hope you get your problem sorted :toast:

hedge
02-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by pulverizer
no cable internet by you?

There isn't even cable tv out here, let alone cable internet. :(

I can't do dsl either because I am over 8 miles from the C.O. (which doesn't support dsl anyways). Hopefully I get this thing worked out with the wireless isp company ReliaNet. They offer dsl speeds through their network.

shray
02-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Could you possible reveal to us where you live? I'm sure if you register at http://www.broadbandreports.com can help if you register there.

hedge
02-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I live in a little po-dunk town called Marriott-Slaterville in Utah. I already have visited the BBR. That is how I found ReliNet as well as another company called Webpipe.

TysonM
02-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Yup.. wireless internet looks to be the future of the internet, especially in the areas that lack the infrastructure for anything else. I hope your experiences with wireless goes well..

WesM63
02-19-2004, 06:15 PM
hedge,
I feel your pain man. I was still able to connect, but was getting lousy 14K connections. I found out about a wireless company here in the very small town I live in (actually i live in the country) and had them do a site survey to see If I could connect to the closest tower. Low and behold the closest tower was only 2 1/2 mies away!! I was able to get connected but had to drop some trees in the process... the price we pay for high speed internet. :) As of right now i've had the service for 6months are so and i'm happy with the wireless end of it. (I hate my ISP, morons) I'm supposed to be getting 1mb/256K but on average i get 450/128. But its faster than dial-up :)

So.. Good luck bud!

TysonM
02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
My cable company (where I get my internet from) already made it clear to me that even though it's listed at 1.5mbit down/384 up that it considers an average of about half of that to be considered as acceptable. So you're not alone there in the "Give the max possible bandwidth numbers even though we actually have an average of half of that" pool.

hedge
02-19-2004, 10:31 PM
The nice thing about the company that I am going with is that the upload and download speeds are synchronous. 512 down as well as 512 up. Another thing about the speeds being so different is that wireless internet fluxuates much more than dsl or cable because of the weather and other conditions.

hedge
02-23-2004, 07:23 PM
SWEET!!

I am back in action. I am now running along at 512 kbps up and down and I am getting on average a 60 ping in ut 2k4. :D