PDA

View Full Version : $25.00 External DVD USB 2.0 Enclosure....Free 52 x24x52 Cdr

zippyc
02-12-2004, 03:33 PM
I have been shopping for a DVD-Recorder, and wanted to go external so I'd have the flexability to move one from machine to another using the USB 2.0 standard.

Most pre-made external USB DVD-Recorders run around $200-$300, which was too much 4 me. I believe that I can get a USB enclosure for a 5.25" DVR, and purchase a internal drive (Which can be found for $70.00) to stick in the box, and meet the same need.

I was almost about to order one of these USB 2.0 Bytecc Jobbies for $32.00 from newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-314&depa=0

....when I noticed that OfficeMax had a "Maddog" 52x24x52 External CDR, USB 2.0 on sale for $40.00 after rebates.

I believe these external enclosures are universal, no?

So I bought this sucker....and I even brought a "$15.00 off any purchase of $75.00 or more" from their competitor Office Depot and asked if they would honor it. They were glad to. :p:

So is was $99.00 less an instant $20.00 off at register, less the $15.00 competitor coupon, less a $30.00 and and a $10.00 rebate.

$25.00 for this and I get a "free" fast CD rom to boot. AND a free copy of Nero Burning ROM.

So, I was really pleased to see that the paint was silver behind an acrylic cover...It even matches my case!!!! I think this thing is actually an OEM'd Bytecc to boot.

Now, to find the best deal on a reliable burner. BTW the sale at OfficeMax expires on the 14th, if anyone wants to pick one of these up...

Edit: Update- The unit is very easy to disassemble (Tooless!!!Gently "Peel" off the two side strips, and the top pops open like a shoebox. The side strips have tabs and can be re-used to re-assemble).

Peel back the labels on the bottom a little to reveal the mounting screws for the ATA drive, unscrew and replace. ATA standard connector and power included already of course. Ready to see what is selling this W.E. in the world of internal DVD-+R drives. Anyone know of a steal out there? Found a $70.00 POS at officemax, but its junk.

wymjym
02-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Wow, what a deal.
I paid $25 for just the enclosure (last week). It looks very similar. Does the usb cable light up? Mine has a nice blue color when powered.
I got one so that I could move some big files between computers. I popped an old hdd into it and fired it up...all is well.It can of course handle a cd etc but I wanted it for an external hdd.
wj

zippyc
02-17-2004, 04:07 PM
No, this cable does not light. I think that lit cable is a funtion of the cable and not the enclosure, right?

Been thinking about adding lights to the enclosure itself though....

wymjym
02-17-2004, 04:18 PM
yeh, the cable lights are because of the cable.
how bout the front lower corner of the enclosure? does it light?
with the hdd in it I turn it on and there is a red light and when it is ready it turns to green.
wj

zippyc
02-17-2004, 07:08 PM
yes it has an activity light on the from lower right side just below the eject button. Could be the same OEM as yours.