PDA

View Full Version : watercooling in a midtower case

newtbred
09-08-2002, 03:03 PM
I'm currently running a 2200 tbred at 1930mgz air cooled. My small Antec 660 performance plus case is confined in a computer armiore but I have cut more holes in the area around my case so as not to trap the heat. I really would like to take out my coolermaster heat pipe & 7000rpm fan and try watercooling.
I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the z4 watercooling kits overclockers hideout sells. I plan on using the top 5 1/4 bay for the radiator since I don't have to much room inside my case.--- After seeing a picture of a Qpower case I see I could mount the radiator on the outside back of my case. This would allow me to use a larger radiator. Any suggestions?

kms
09-09-2002, 07:29 AM
hiya, the new style Z4 overcomes all past slating, i..e ports dont cover more than 1 channel any more and they do perform well. That said they are aluminium which has slightly worse thermal conductivity properties when compared to copper. If you can actually measure said difference though you've done well :D I use one in my main rig with a water chiller at -2.7C, it runs 24/7 and havent had a single problem with it

crane
09-09-2002, 08:11 AM
I have the older Z4 with the copper base and 3/8 barb fittings... been using it for over a year without problems. Not sure about the latest design, but I wouldn't be afraid to order a newer one.
The pumping system with the reservoir used to use a 12 volt marine type sump pump that had some failures...I would look into that aspect carefully before making a descision about buying the kit.

kms
09-10-2002, 09:46 AM
yeah they used a 500gph bilge pump apparently not rated for continuous duty. They've been completey withdrawn now though i think & have replaced it with a mag drive pump but no res

zippyc
09-19-2002, 07:18 AM
Newtbred,

Have you considered moving your radiator and pump assby. outside of your case? I chose to go external for other reasons (to get the heat out of the case, mainly), but if you already have a small case and a space in your funiture that even slightly restricts airflow, you could be looking for trouble with the exchange of heat unless you build a "quiet" vent fan into your furniture (that would probably work wonders as long as it moved more air than your computer.)

Maybe a subwoofer-looking box you could stick out of sight and just run your pipes through the slot opening in the back of your case and through your desks' wire runthrough?

Just an idea. Also means you don't have to cut your case, so you can pass it down or sell it with the original aircooling.