PDA

View Full Version : help!! noob to red hat 9.0!!!

faruquehabib
02-10-2004, 10:52 PM
i got this from linuxiso.org, so i dont have a product code or nothing. also, i cant connect to tyhe internet, and therefore can get any updates or drivers anything. i am running an NF7-S and gf4 mx440 8x. i burned the linux drtivers for nforce2 on a cd and opened the file in red hat, but it didnt really do anything that i could see. basically, its not recognizing my built-in ethernet. can anyone help me please!!!

Synthetic
02-11-2004, 12:10 AM
there isnt really alot of support for nic's with RH 9. I had to go buy a nic that was listed on RH's site so it would work. As for the vid card try to check the cards site and see if they have any support for it. Also you can shoot over to linuxquestions.org and post a question there.:toast:

Smizack
02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Yup. What he said. A lot of nics don't work with linux but vid cards aren't usually a problem.

Ulfar
02-12-2004, 06:46 AM
you could probably try to find nix drivers for the nic and burn it on to a cd and install em, or compile teh kernel with it :P

Smizack
02-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Ulfar
you could probably try to find nix drivers for the nic and burn it on to a cd and install em, or compile teh kernel with it :P

Or.... buy a compatible nic.;)

sjohnson
02-12-2004, 10:06 PM
A get a compatible NIC vote here too. Look at the RedHat NIC list, you should be able to get a compatible NIC for $10 or less.

benonmsn
02-20-2004, 09:46 PM
im using suse linux 9, installed 2 days ago.. installed just fine from a ftp at a local university on my spare p4c800-e dlx, 9800p, all drivers and hardware installed automatically, it all works, unfortuanatly i dont know how to do anything. but it all installed nicely. and free

sjohnson
02-20-2004, 10:37 PM
SuSE is the Linux distribution I currently recommend for beginners to Linux. Installs fairly easily.

benonmsn - just login and start clicking around. I think if you just play with it you'll get the hang of stuff pretty quickly. Remember that the install was pretty simple so any fear of screwing up can be tempered by the ease of install.

Attitudx
02-24-2004, 07:25 AM
I installed Thiz Linux last night and it picked up my nic fine i am using a msi pt880 neo pentium board my only problem is that now i boot into linux instead of dual boot but i hopefully will fix it soon