PDA

View Full Version : Will SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1TB over Sata 3Gbps make any impact on its reliability?

ajaidev
12-29-2013, 03:10 AM
So I took the plunge and just ordered a SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1Tb instead of a new RAID setup for the NAS after one of my velociraptor's started making a weird noise. The thing is that I just found this page http://techreport.com/review/25559/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-200tb-update/2 and it has scared me quite a bit. Now thinking how to avoid such a situation will reduction in bandwidth from 6Gbps to 3Gbps help in anyway?

Any other way to increase the drives life don't care for a speed reduction as long as its below 20%.

SteveRo
12-29-2013, 07:59 AM
should work just fine, peak sequential read/write will be reduced but reliability should be just as good. :)

samsarulz
01-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Normal use wont stree ssd like a Benmark, specially Anvils suite. If you want to kett the reliability of the SSD maxed out try not to hold temp files in the SSD, instead use a RamDisk or keep those folders in a HDD, same for browsers. Also, dont defragment the SSD and activate Trim.

As you know Samsung 840 EVO es TLC based, and so it will last a few years less than the MLC ones, but dont worry, they sure are reliable. All Samsung SSD are my top one ;).

arddrea
01-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Unless your NAS is seed box, your write rate should not be an issue. Normal NAS home usage should see no more the 50GB a day. Actually using a raptor in a NAS seems quite (unnecessarily) Xtreem to me. :)