PDA

View Full Version : far cry SUXXX!

saaya
02-08-2004, 10:09 PM
omg what a horrable game! sure it looks amazing with all the pixel shader and other effects but the game play is horrable!
and the game needs like 8min on my machine to load a level! takes my pc more than 2 min to leave the game!
and while my fram rates are in the 50fps range the game is still anything from playable. i get really really bad lags all the time up to freezing of the game for 3+ sec!
(duron@2.4ghz 2-2-2-11 9700pro)

the aiming... the movement... :sick:

i give this game 5 thumbs down :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

thirdeye
02-09-2004, 06:26 PM
wow, not having any of these problems. judging from the demo this is going to be a great game. I had no framerate issues, aim and gameplay were very good. load times were fine. only gripe would be seemingly superhuman enemies on higher diff settings..i.e. pumping half a clip in them for the kill.

Teus
02-09-2004, 10:52 PM
far cry is still very buggy, both the demo as the bèta 2 :/

but the graphics are good, and Mulitplayer is already pretty nice

Ulfar
02-10-2004, 06:42 AM
meh its just standard mplayer, nothing revolutionary

hedge
02-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by saaya
omg what a horrable game! sure it looks amazing with all the pixel shader and other effects but the game play is horrable!

Reminds me of the reviews for Aquanox. Nothing more than a prettry picture. :D

Do any of you guys have a link to the demo?

thirdeye
02-11-2004, 02:04 AM
fileshack has it, hit it late and usually no wait.

corrupt
02-19-2004, 06:56 PM
The game is sweet IMO, runs real smooth but I'm running a A64@2640 and my 9800 pro at 470/355. It beats up old hardware pretty bad.

funktional
02-20-2004, 03:41 AM
I havent seen such a good game for a long time. I really like it and it runs fine on my 2.4 GHz Barton + 9600XT.

hedge
02-20-2004, 11:27 PM
link to the demo anyone?

funktional
02-21-2004, 03:20 AM
http://www.farcry.de/demo.php

Scroll down to the bottom.

hedge
02-21-2004, 06:51 PM
thanks guys.

The water effects are pretty but the rest is average in the visual dept. I didn't get to play very much so I can't give an accurate opinion of the game.

MaNCe
02-24-2004, 02:50 PM
It takes a while for it to load on my pc 2, and for the first few secs in the game, when it fades in and ur on the boat... It lags like crazy, then after about 60secs of running around, the lag disappears :confused:

Apparently this game was released too early--un-optimized. Hope it performs better when it gets released next month.

Originally posted by corrupt
The game is sweet IMO, runs real smooth but I'm running a A64@2640 and my 9800 pro at 470/355. It beats up old hardware pretty bad.

Hehehe, I'd like to see a game lag that beast of a rig :slobber:

Peace,

Semper Fi
02-28-2004, 02:15 AM
This game truly is garbage. The graphics are amazing, but the movement and speed is terrible. Bad physics. I hope it gets fixed by the final.

LoudHoward
02-29-2004, 06:45 AM
I had a great time playing the demo. I know its got a lot of bugs, they just didn't get to me

Iridium192_217
02-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by saaya
and the game needs like 8min on my machine to load a level! takes my pc more than 2 min to leave the game!
and while my fram rates are in the 50fps range the game is still anything from playable. i get really really bad lags all the time up to freezing of the game for 3+ sec!
(duron@2.4ghz 2-2-2-11 9700pro)

the aiming... the movement... :sick:

i give this game 5 thumbs down :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

must be crappy amd chips making it so slow:banana:

hedge
02-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MaNCe
It takes a while for it to load on my pc 2, and for the first few secs in the game, when it fades in and ur on the boat... It lags like crazy, then after about 60secs of running around, the lag disappears :confused:

That "lag" you are talking about is the game having to cache all the textures to the ram. You need over 768 mb of ram if you have a 128mb video card to run this game at details higher than medium.

thirdeye
03-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Iridium192_217
must be crappy amd chips making it so slow:banana:

HAHAHA, that reminds me of our biweekly Lan parties, whenever anyone has a game or network prob someone helpfully pipes up with that kind of comment.

I tried to explain to someone last time that the CoD lag was caused by his Kensington KYBD/mouse combo, but he just wasnt buying it...

Peckers
03-12-2004, 02:36 PM
well now it has gone Gold http://www.farcry-thegame.com/uk/index.php?changesite=flash

And I haven't played the demo yet :eek:

DeusEx
03-12-2004, 03:26 PM
The demo runs smooth for me.. and that's on a 9500pro. You guys with 9700+ cards must either have realy bad drivers, or bad optimized systems.
I can't say I think it's the best game ever or anything though. It's good but IMO it's still a something of a standard overhyped FPS. Sure, it has a good line of sight, but I'd choose vietcong over farcry anyday of the week :)

sky
03-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by hedge
That "lag" you are talking about is the game having to cache all the textures to the ram. You need over 768 mb of ram if you have a 128mb video card to run this game at details higher than medium.

ohh.. eh. i mean, i have to wait right at the start of the game for some seconds - same with both 3dmarks, etc... some part in my machine wants to contact ctr.microsoft about some drivers. i told my firewall to deny it and then i wait until it's done.

the level itself loads pretty fast on very high (nothing but it hehe) -> palo 1800@def 1.5gb of 266'ram + sapphire 9800pro @xt clocks.. yehaw... takes 20sec to load!
the slow loading times remind me of soldier of fortune 2 - man was i ticked when i set detail for veryhigh (or whatever the max setting was) and had to wait like 2 minits for the darn levels to load (same machine, different vidcard - r8500), so i switched down to the next highest level and it load normal. once my real rig is up and running, the 9800 goes in there and i'll see what happens with just 512mb ram on a 2.2ghz xp.

anyway... so far i like this game.. ai isn't to great but i'm into eyecandy and farcry got enough of it. also i gotta support a local developer :D. and as usual this is just a demo, not the final product - so don't expect too much. same for colin mcrae 4 - the demo doesn't look any better than cmr3 and the cmr4 team says they're like 95% done - if that's what 95% looks like... oh my, oh my ... ;)

LikwidKool
03-17-2004, 09:24 AM
I too had fun playing the demo. To be honest it was a bit easy though. Since the game is not linear like most fps, I just took the boat around the island to a nice landing spot, and ended halfway up the trail. Kinda funny I backtracked down so I could have some fun!

Anyway I experienced no lag at all. My sys specs are in my sig and was using my 2x512 of Mushkin L2 at the time.

I personally look forward to this game. The non linear gameplay is a welcome addition.

sky
03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
go checkout the research demo - available at gamershell.com in the downloads section... that one is a tad more harder and you get to play with the sniper rifle and stuff...
err... also "sources" tell me the release is imminent - anyway, downloading the latest trailer - 196mb of avi-goodness - we'll see
some of the other trailers really looked promising

sandman
03-22-2004, 09:39 AM
yep, I played the research demo, it played great.

I can tell I need some more ram though, gonna get a new monitor though first.

My friend has a 2600+ and a 5700 all at stock, and it ran fine on his rig.

Çhrist0ph
03-24-2004, 08:36 PM
this game is great...if you get it for free. other than that, 40-50 bucks is a lot for a FPS with amazing graphics, but horrible physics/gameplay

thirdeye
03-24-2004, 08:54 PM
isn't software free? ;)
I dig your av there chris..

Semper Fi
04-08-2004, 06:34 PM
The full version is amazing.

sky
04-09-2004, 06:24 AM
yup, the full version really ownz.

but this is about one of the biggest hardware hogs i've encountered so farm, well together with ut2k4. man, running 2x256 ain't anywhere near enough with those two. i just changed my 2x256 mush 3500 lvl2s for 2x512 mush 3500 lvl1 - yea i didn't get lvl2s for that :( - and man now those two titles really are flying. while before it took ages to load for both of them (way more than with the demos (wtf?)) and occasionally the game would sort of slow down, like your mouse was stuck or something, none of that is happening anymore. so i guess i'll start looking for 2x512 bh5 sticks now :).
tried to run my rig on 3x256 bh5 but no go. the darn kingston (khx3200/256) is single sided whereas the mush is doublesided - my machine no likee that. :(
mem bandwidth at roughly the same timings is down ~150mb/s in sandra, but what the hell. for the moment the ch5-mush have to do hehe.

to those that do run both farcry and ut2k4 with only 512mb, be sure to test it with 1 gig - you'll love it! (garantueed, or your money back, lol)

MAJT
04-25-2004, 01:24 AM
I think this game is great, it needs a very good rig to play everything maxed. Gameplay is great, original storyline (sorta), amazing graphics.

T07N
04-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Saaya, I don't mean any disrespect but I think you jumped the gun a little when you claim Farcry sux. I think your computer sux... Duron is not meant for gaming, it's meant for processing word documents. Also, the lag you experience is due to 512mb or your processor.

If the game sucks because it can't run on your system then you're not judging the game, you're judging your system.

nailbomb
04-26-2004, 05:24 AM
I'm running this game with 1 gig of RAM and 9800P and it flat out smokes. I love the damn thing :)

Soulburner
04-26-2004, 12:33 PM
From the users reports I have been reading, it looks like going from 512mb to 1024mb of ram is a VERY good idea for this game, and likely for other games soon to come.

khellandros66
04-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah I have 2x256MB of PC4400 and the demo lags so does UT2k4 when enemies, and especially when lots of them, approach. I want to get two more 256MB sticks, I was wondering if this will effect or cause me to lower my overclock at all?

~Bob

BTW: This game is supa dupa fly...

thetruememphis
05-23-2004, 07:32 AM
no problems for me on this game. i love it. overclock the 9800xt a bit and it runs perfect with all the settings on very high. im about 30 hours into the game right now.

computerpro3
05-24-2004, 10:34 AM
to all the people complaining about the game being "unoptimized" or "garbage" or "slow"...It's your system guys. I mean come on. You just can't expect a 2300mhz baton mobile with 512mb ram and 9500 pro to run maxed out. Seriously. Look at my rig. Never dips below 60FPS except for VERY rare instances, such as the part in research when you are in a cave with water, light, and shadow reflections playing off the cave walls. Its amazing visually. You NEED 1GB ram if you expect to run above medium settings. you NEED a radeon 9700 PRO or above if you expect to use ps. 2.0 options. Far cry scales very well, however. Turn down the settings a notch or two (especially shadows and lighting) and you have yourself a gorgeous game that plays in the 60FPS+ range. I have a friend with a 9600 pro that runs everything maxed except lighting and shadows. Runs great.

Its your rigs, people, not the games. Unless of course you really think Far Cry and Ut2004 as well as every upcoming game that requires ram are really poor, unoptimized pieces of junk.

thetruememphis
05-24-2004, 11:59 AM
computerpro3 has a point up to a extent. it's your sistem that's weak. not the game itself. if you open up task manager and then load the game. you will see it's not your memory bandwith that kills you it's your processor.(probally running at 100% most of the time during game play.

Fried_Spam
05-24-2004, 08:06 PM
I don't really think that ram is the problem with at least 512mb you should be okay if the rest of your system is up to it. I have finished the game and have started back through it again. I can only recall one time when the graphics got "laggy" and I later realized that Norton's auto-protect was enabled. I think that the game is great and have talked to many who feel the same. I haven't heard anyone complain yet except for the dialogue which is horrible - I don't want to hear another "Did you hear that?" or "I'm gonna get you ...". The enemy AI is pretty good seeing them hide behind trees/rocks/etc and working together as a team. I would have to give it a definite thumbs up and I needed something new to tide me over until HL2 and D3 come out (get 'em finished already - dammit!)

Soulburner
05-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Fried_Spam
I don't want to hear another "Did you hear that?" or "I'm gonna get you ...". The enemy AI is pretty good seeing them hide behind trees/rocks/etc and working together as a team.
Sounds a lot like Max Payne 2.

Primal
05-26-2004, 11:09 AM
I didn't like this game so much, i got 50 fps and lots of lags. (but when I get my new uber rig ill be able too play this @ max reso & details @ 76fps at least, with no lags i hope...)
Also I hate that pulsing crosshair and the "smeared" aiming.

Lots of bugs too, and the game won't let me install the patch!!

mrflushysheaven
05-26-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Primal
I didn't like this game so much, i got 50 fps and lots of lags. (but when I get my new uber rig ill be able too play this @ max reso & details @ 76fps at least, with no lags i hope...)
Also I hate that pulsing crosshair and the "smeared" aiming.

Lots of bugs too, and the game won't let me install the patch!!

yea i have the demo and it won't let me install the patch either. either way it's a great game. i'll be buying it when i get my x800 and 512 of mushkin 2-2-2 ram this summer.

texuspete00
06-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Just finished it up today. That was some tough shiznitt.

Mini
06-08-2004, 01:02 AM
I found the game GREAT... Sure load times are long... Just a demanding game perhaps???

Much better gameplay than HL and CS... UT also... Probably the best FPS on the market today... Also it looks good and hasnt so many bugs that influence gameplay...

Multiplayer Assault is cool... Random Assault sux sumtimes... But a good aranged game or clan battle is GREAT!!