PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server 2008r2 Virus Scanner? Free?

NKrader
12-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Trying to find decent protection for my file sever.

I usually used avira in the past but that like many others does not work on "server" OS..

Bleh.. Anyone?

Scubar
12-04-2013, 03:04 PM
I believe Avast free used to work on Server OS but they may have changed that. Worth a shot though.

Nirvash
12-04-2013, 05:13 PM
ClamAV, not realtime but it is free.

MadMike261
12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I remember just running Microsoft Security Essentials on my 2008R2 VM's. Don't have any sitting around atm or I would check for you.

But if you have your hosts under control with good AV, your file server should be fine theoretically :)

NEOAethyr
12-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I used to use symantec antivirus corp, then del the startup reg keys so I could run the scan manually when I felt like (and not have it run in the bg all the time...).

But I see that is now eol :\.
Replaced with some crap called symantec endpoint protection.

I just use the online check and see if any of my files contain a virus.
If they do I manually remove them, or format and re-install windows...
If I were actually infected I would try to prevent it(perhaps like proxomitron in the ie days or gut tftp, etc...), then gut it out of my os manually, then do the scan to remove what files need removing or whatever.
Then re-install...

I think this is the link if I'm not mistaken:
https://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp

It won't remove anything, it just checks with the latest db.

Otherwise I don't have probs with virus so I can't help you much with finding a program to run in the bg all the time for it (edit: I mean that my advice might not be any good).
The only db I only actually trusted was symantec's.

Stuff like mcafee with it's off the wall false positives, screw that.
Symantec has some of those too but it's alright.

I never used any of the norton antivirus products though...

Edit:
Oh crap, forgot, you may need to spoof to use that online scanner...
Then again maybe it'll just work anyways with ie, I can't say off hand, I don't have a server os installed at the moment (I don't use 2008, just 2003...).

NKrader
12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I remember just running Microsoft Security Essentials on my 2008R2 VM's. Don't have any sitting around atm or I would check for you.

But if you have your hosts under control with good AV, your file server should be fine theoretically :)

my file server is so much more,

i remote in it does all of my downloads that it hosts and such.

ClamAV, not realtime but it is free.

i dont really want to have to do anything, or schedual scans, i just like the peace of mind knowing that it is watching things that are happening.

also it looks like im picking up a 3x licence avira proffessional for like 60$ for the year. seems like my best option