PDA

View Full Version : Very low ambient temp and hwbot?

Ace123
11-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Here is kinda a silly question but I want to clarify completely so I don't inadvertently thrust myself into the pro league before I'm ready. Tonight and tomorrow night it will be 27F (-2.7C) in Oregon. Is it legal for enthusiast league if I take my rig outside and overclock and benchmark? If it is, is it ethical?

NKrader
11-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Here is kinda a silly question but I want to clarify completely so I don't inadvertently thrust myself into the pro league before I'm ready. Tonight and tomorrow night it will be 27F (-2.7C) in Oregon. Is it legal for enthusiast league if I take my rig outside and overclock and benchmark? If it is, is it ethical?

run duct from window with fan blowing on rig, not knowing about the ethics of such a thing tho.

Crabby
11-20-2013, 12:51 PM
It is still air cooling so go for it!

Don_Dan
11-20-2013, 12:53 PM
It's allowed of course and it's what many users in the Enthusiast League actually do. :)

Check out this old winter benching thread. (http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=14699) :up:

Ace123
11-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I guess it's on then eh

runmc
11-20-2013, 04:11 PM
I use to set my bench rig right outside a window in my office that went out on the back porch. I stuffed towels in the window so it wouldn't crimp my cables when I closed the window. It helps!!
Do it.

Ace123
11-20-2013, 04:37 PM
I have a pretty sweet deck off the back of my bedroom with two french doors. There is a big seal on the bottom where its super easy to run cables. Ill just do that.

NEOAethyr
11-21-2013, 01:35 AM
If you have any hard drives (not talking about ssds...), and you actively cool them you're gonna wanna shut off those fans so the drives can stay warm.
If they get to cold they can start dropping partitions and the like.

Whenever I open my window to mess around, I disconnect the fan's blowing on my drives.
I've only had one drive mess up on me like that though, it was a 1600jb, all my wd 1200jb's did fine.
I can't remember what temp it hit when did that though, I think it was 12c (just guessing).
Everything else would be fine, it's just the hard drives you have to worry about.
I've mentioned this somewhere in the past before and someone said they never had any probs with cold temps.
Still, if you do have fans on them just disconnect those to be safe, no reason to super cool your drives ;).

My fav thing to do with chilled air cooling is to play with the memory :up:.