PDA

View Full Version : Fx-9590 receives massive price cut

Ace123
11-08-2013, 05:21 PM
It appears that AMD is revising the pricing on most of their processors. The entire Richland lineup will receive price cuts very soon, some as much as almost 14%, but the most drastic of AMDs price cuts were to their perceived halo processors FX-9590 and FX-9370. These processors have been shrouded in controversy over their high power consumption by todays standards, but a certain allure exists regardless.

Provantage currently has the lowest prices that I can find for both processors, but sources have alluded to the Fx 9590 being as low as $306.

FX-9590 8C AM3+ 16MB 220W 5.0G Wof Unlocked - $326.99
http://www.provantage.com/amd-fd9590fhhkwof~7AAMD2VJ.htm

FX-9370 8C AM3+ 16MB 220W 4.7G Wof Unlocked - $239.40
http://www.provantage.com/amd-fd9370fhhkwof~7AAMD2VH.htm

Newegg also has an Fx-9370 offering with a watercooler
AMD FX-9370 Vishera 4.4GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition FD9370FHHKWOX with Liquid Cooling Kit - 289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113352

blindbox
11-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Liking what I see with the 9370.

Anyway, is this a sign of Steamroller coming?

Kai Robinson
11-08-2013, 08:14 PM
*keeps fingers crossed for incoming AM3+ Steamroller*

PedantOne
11-08-2013, 11:40 PM
*keeps fingers crossed for incoming AM3+ Steamroller*

only in your dreams

mongoled
11-09-2013, 01:25 AM
only in your dreams
Its every persons right to have a dream !

:clap:

Kai Robinson
11-09-2013, 04:08 AM
only in your dreams

Why?

PedantOne
11-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Why?

because no Steamroller in am3+ for ever, Steamroller/excavator only in apus!

Kai Robinson
11-09-2013, 04:23 AM
Says who? Where? AM3+ isn't dead yet, it's been confirmed AM3 is, but not AM3+.

AliG
11-09-2013, 06:37 AM
Actually says AMD, they publicly said they were discontinuing their high end desktop line a long time ago. Right now the only thing they care about is their APU line and GPUs

k0ST
11-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Actually says AMD, they publicly said they were discontinuing their high end desktop line a long time ago. Right now the only thing they care about is their APU line and GPUs
But they have never said no more AM3+ CPUs, right? What would be AMDs definition of high end desktop PC? LGA2011 (at the time RRory gave the above statement) or LGA1150 Haswells...
Either way, it's every persons right to have a dream!

Piledriver
11-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Are you actually saying this on a thread about two AMD's high end desktops CPU's? Worse, both with high power consumption that had no reason to exist if AMD didn't cared about, guess what, high end desktop line?

Why can't APU's = high end desktop line? If i have a Steamroller APU, and i'm encoding with Handbrake and the GPU is boosting the performance beating every high end desktop cpu, still not a high end cpu?

RVWinkle
11-09-2013, 07:37 AM
It's pretty common knowledge that AMD is done with high end and therefore 8 core parts. I decided to prove this to myself by searching for amd roadmaps. What I didn't realize was the extent that this is true. It's been confirmed that the next gen Kevari is 4 core only and AMD now consider 4 cores as 'high end'. If you look at their server roadmaps you can see that 4 core is the new max for 1p servers in 2014 as well. If AMD does have any 8 core x86 cpu's in the pipeline they would come out in 2015 at the earliest.

vario
11-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Nail in the coffin of AM3+ SR is the fact that AMD isnt releasing any server cpus based on SR, only warsaw core which is revised PD. :-( .
Thats too bad, cos i would buy one.

MattiasNYC
11-09-2013, 07:54 AM
I like how the people who say that "AMD said" actually aren't posting any links or anything to show what AMD actually said...

AliG
11-09-2013, 08:19 AM
guys......

http://www.techpowerup.com/155989/amd-still-committed-to-x86-but-not-in-high-end-desktop.html

This has been common knowledge for a long time now... I don't see why you are needlessly trying to escalate things

cdawall
11-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I am pretty sure that was confirmed false and only based on leaked pr slides to begin with...

FlanK3r
11-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Hm, I think there will be some holiday/pause time for highend AMD chips again. Maybe in 2015 with new socket and 20nm.

MattiasNYC
11-09-2013, 08:33 AM
guys......

http://www.techpowerup.com/155989/amd-still-committed-to-x86-but-not-in-high-end-desktop.html

This has been common knowledge for a long time now... I don't see why you are needlessly trying to escalate things

And where in that article does an AMD rep say they're discontinuing their high-end line?

AliG
11-09-2013, 09:03 AM
And where in that article does an AMD rep say they're discontinuing their high-end line?

I'm not wasting my time with this. You wanted a link, I found you a link. If you want to troll, feel free to bother someone else

NEOAethyr
11-09-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm starting to think that amd can't afford the switch to a new node/process right now.
There was a link posted somewhere were nvidia was complaining about the cost of keeping up with that stuff, and I'm guessing perhaps that is why we get hot amd parts these days.
They just can't afford the die shrink right now, I'm thinking anyways, I don't really know though.

Kinda a shame though, there quads really being 2 modules type of setup, but ohwell.
The apu's will do fine for most people, most people don't stress there rigs like we do here.

It is nice to finally see a price cut though, things are slowly moving on :).
Cpu prices, intel vs amd they aren't much different (compared to say the 3770k or 4770k), but board prices are pretty darned high these days, been like that for some years now.
I miss the $120 boards of the past lol :).
Then again the industry seems to be moving away from big pc rigs for the mainstream and on to tablets and phones.
Perhaps rigs like we got will be relegated to servers and cloud computing in the future, that's what it seems like to me anyways.

To be honest though, and not to beat a dead horse ^^, but I'm not sure what to think about the 9590 or whatever it's called.
Even if it's become affordable, to cool them is something else...
Sure you can pay $120 or so to cool them off with an aio 2x120mm rad or whatever but alot of people can't really afford that.
I wonder if it comes with a cooler...

Anyways thanks for the news :).
And you guys waiting for something better then say the 9590 or whatever it's called again, I really don't think amd has it in them right now you guys :(.
Just saying, you know ^^.

Dadman
11-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Maybe AMD is only saying no more high end cpu's to make Intel be content with where they are but then, POW, AMD springs a new high end cpu that is equal to or better than Intel? I can only hope. :D

Ace123
11-09-2013, 02:07 PM
It seems as though the word "Troll" is now being used as a weapon. I have been studying this phenomenom for a little while now. People believe that they can use this to command unquestionable and unwaivering support for their argument by quickly labeling anyone who questions their statment or evidence as a "troll". The argument is important. The discussion and questioning of information and sources are the only way to ultimately arrive at the truth. If you are unwilling to discuss and hear other arguments, you are also unwilling to contribute to the discovery of the truth. Nothing is true until it happens.
Questioning someone elses conclusion without "malice" (the intention or desire to do evil; ill will.) is not trolling.

vario
11-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Anyone know what is the status of the GLOFOs new york facility ? It seems we wont get 32nm 8 cores but maybe on lower node, question is ,how far is it.

Flanman
11-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Anyone know what is the status of the GLOFOs new york facility ? It seems we wont get 32nm 8 cores but maybe on lower node, question is ,how far is it.

I did a drive through a few months ago but didn't really see anything.

MattiasNYC
11-10-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm not wasting my time with this. You wanted a link, I found you a link. If you want to troll, feel free to bother someone else

You posted a link that doesn't prove what you assert. I'm not trolling, I'm just requesting information that's official and comes from AMD. If you can't provide that then phrase your commentary to something like this "I believe AMD is going to discontinue". Then I wouldn't argue. Anyone can have an opinion. But if you want to say that AMD officials claimed what you assert then please provide links/sources that actually support what you say.

"troll". What a low standard of discourse.

vario
11-10-2013, 11:17 AM
You posted a link that doesn't prove what you assert. I'm not trolling, I'm just requesting information that's official and comes from AMD. If you can't provide that then phrase your commentary to something like this "I believe AMD is going to discontinue". Then I wouldn't argue. Anyone can have an opinion. But if you want to say that AMD officials claimed what you assert then please provide links/sources that actually support what you say.

"troll". What a low standard of discourse.

There is 0 roadmaps with a SR Am3+ OR server chips.
There are roadmaps which show a new PD chip for servers.
There were few waves of articles stating about AMD`s withdrawal from High end CPU market.
No mentions or leaks of any ES for said sockets.0 AMD`s commitment to the socket(s) for a year now.
Plenty of info and leaks about FM2+ SR`s .
AMD never comments on unannounced products so you wont find official AMD statement in this matter.
But yea, there is an almost NIL chance that they just are THAT secret about it, i mean, god forbid someone would put on hold their decision o go intel...

MattiasNYC
11-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Exactly. No official comment.

Also, "High end CPU market" could mean two things when it comes from a manufacturer of CPUs. It could mean the absolute high end of mainstream chips, i.e. what Intel is and has dominated for quite some time now, or they could be careless with language and speak about the higher end market of their own chips. Since it'll be some time before I'll blow the kind of cash Intel is demanding on their high end stuff I'm mostly interested in AMD's high end. If that continues to increase then that's fine by me. To me that's 'at least something'. And it's a very different proposition than them completely discontinuing competitive products in that price range.

k0ST
11-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Although there is still no official comment on the future of new AM3+ CPUs, I guess this would be pretty good indicator of their intentions-> http://techreport.com/news/25658/amd-fx-family-wont-get-a-steamroller-update-next-year
Damn you AMD!

Ace123
11-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Nah, current roadmaps only indicate at the time of release what a company is "willing" to divulge. Any subsequent roadmaps will be updated to include new information an entity wishes divulge as well. Think of it as making a new map of an untraveled path, you can only record as far as you can see, and you have to assume the road follows this direction until it does not, in which you will then record the change and update your map with the new direction.
I cannot speculate on the question will Amd make a new AM3 processor or not, but one cannot assume they never will based on roadmaps that are updated and changed frequently. One can only assume that they do not intend to immediately, or the do not wish to make known their intentions in the future.

Olivon
11-16-2013, 12:14 AM
AMD seems to leave enthusiats market and try to push mainstream products.

http://tof.canardpc.com/preview2/147c053f-aa73-443f-9d55-69db19021f76.jpg (http://tof.canardpc.com/view/147c053f-aa73-443f-9d55-69db19021f76.jpg)

FlanK3r
11-16-2013, 02:21 AM
I have good feeling with enthusiast AMD market for 20nm...new platform, DDR4...

raghu78
11-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I have good feeling with enthusiast AMD market for 20nm...new platform, DDR4...

yeah AMD is doing the right thing in spending its meagre R&D budget in the most sensible manner. Excavator core is a significant update to the architecture as it will be AMD's first CPU to use High density library and also sports a completely redesigned 256 bit FPU.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20131018224745_AMD_Excavator_Core_May_Dramatic_Per formance_Increases.html

a new server platform with DDR4 memory is going to launch with these next gen 20nm server CPUs. these require a lot of validation. that costs time and money. AMD has skipped Steamroller FX and is focussing on the tapeout of the Excavator based 20nm CPUs and the new server platform development.

tbone8ty
11-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Price cuts haven't taken effect at new egg yet

tajoh111
11-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I think what AMD should do, if they really want to get these things sold is do what Nvidia is currently doing with the shield bundle with a Nvidia card. Don't bundle it with the GPU but give a 100 dollar discount on the GPU.

E.g Buy a fx-9590 at 370 dollars and get a 290x for 450 or a 290 for 350.

At 370 dollars by itself(and it typically get beat on by a 4770K) and without any sort of cooling coming with it, its an overpriced processor. Particularly when its the same processor as a fx-8320(both with an unlocked multiplier), which is 150 dollars.

At 370 dollars and selling with a 50 or 100 dollars discount on a hawaii chip would give more incentive to gamers to consider this chip. I am sure AMD would still make money off the processor if they can sell an fx8320 for 150 dollars.

A fx9590 at 370 dollar is still a poor value considering its performance, lack of overclocking headroom and heat/power consumption.