PDA

View Full Version : Intel Rapid Storage Technology version (BIOS vs. OS)

Havokator
08-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I am running an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard with the newest BIOS revision 3602.
This BIOS uses Intel Rapid Storage Technology v10.5.0.1026 for the onboard RAID (which can't be upgraded without Asus releasing a new BIOS).

On Windows, I also use the same matching version of the Intel RST driver (v10.5.0.1026) because that is what Asus has available for download on their website.

My question is, can I upgrade my Windows Intel RST driver to the newest version (v12.8.0.1016) even though my BIOS still uses the older version of RST for the hardware?

Would there be any benefit/drawbacks to upgrading my Windows RST driver to v12.8.0.1016? Everything works fine the way it is now with matching hardware/software versions of Intel RST, but as my motherboard gets older, their will be newer and newer versions of the Windows RST driver available.

Fernando
08-24-2013, 01:36 AM
My question is, can I upgrade my Windows Intel RST driver to the newest version (v12.8.0.1016) even though my BIOS still uses the older version of RST for the hardware?Yes. Within the BIOS is no driver, but an Intel RAID ROM module, which is the "Firmware" of the Intel SATA RAID Controller

Would there be any benefit/drawbacks to upgrading my Windows RST driver to v12.8.0.1016?You should not expect big differences as long as there is still an Intel RAID ROM of another development branch (e.g. v10.5.x.xxxx) within your BIOS.
By the way: I doubt, that there is an Intel RAID ROM v10.5.0.1026 within your mainboard BIOS, because Intel has never delivered such RAID ROM version to the mainboard manufacturers. Please check the version by (temporarily) setting the SATA Controller to "RAID" and hitting CTRL+I while booting.

Havokator
08-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Yes you are right. My OROM version is actually 10.5.1.1070.

I have been reading that people are getting faster speeds using the newer versions of RST drivers for Windows. So even though Asus doesn't offer the drivers for download on my motherboard's download page, would it be a good idea to upgrade to the newer 11.2 or 12.7 RST drivers?

Fernando
08-30-2013, 05:59 AM
I have been reading that people are getting faster speeds using the newer versions of RST drivers for Windows. So even though Asus doesn't offer the drivers for download on my motherboard's download page, would it be a good idea to upgrade to the newer 11.2 or 12.7 RST drivers?If I were you, I would update the Intel RAID ROM of your BIOS to v11.6.0.1702 or v12.7.0.1936 and use the Intel RST(e) drivers v11.7.4.1001 WHQL, v12.7.2.1000 WHQL or v12.8.0.1016 WHQL.

Havokator
08-30-2013, 10:32 AM
How do I update the Intel RAID OROM of my BIOS? I already have the newest BIOS update available from Asus's website which uses the v10.5.1.1070 RAID OROM. I know there is a way to "slipstream" newer OROM's into the BIOS, but I have never done this. Could you point me in the right direction on how to do this?

Also, how much of a benefit do you think I would see if I upgraded my motherboard's Intel RAID OROM to v12.7.0.1936? I currently run a single SSD (boot drive) and 2 RAID1 arrays (see sig). Would I even see any performance increase by doing this upgrade?

Also, I have heard one version of Intel RST is supposed to better for single SSD's (v12.7?), and one is supposed to be better for SSD's in RAID0 (v11.2?). Is this still true?

Is there any other benefit to upgrading my motherboard's RAID OROM version?

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it. =)

Fernando
08-30-2013, 11:21 AM
@ Havokator:

You will find answers to all your questions within >this< (http://www.win-raid.com/) Forum.