PDA

View Full Version : Need Hard Drive backup solution

s.m
08-22-2013, 05:38 AM
HI Everyone
I need hard drive to to my office, I have 4 pc's in a work group and i was thinking to get network base hard drive to connect it to my router and on each pc setup the backup with the hard drive destination.
Is that how its done? there is any better solution? any recommended Hard Drive?
Thanks for your help :)

Scubar
08-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Set up a small NAS and either use it as a backup or host the files directly on it.

s.m
08-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Network Base Hard Drive is not a NAS?
That my idea to conect the hard drive to the network and all pcs will back up to there. But is it the best solution?

Levish
09-26-2013, 05:59 AM
depends on what you are using for backup, some software is absolutely happy with backup to network locations, others can get fussy and would prefer something that can do iSCSI instead of SMB or something like that.

chances are you'd be better off buying 4x internal drives and adding them to the desktops and backing up to them via built in windows backup, monitoring it would be the bigger problem at that point.

itznfb
09-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Crashplan.

Nizzen
09-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Small nas? This is Xtreme storage ;)

Razmatazz
09-29-2013, 10:31 AM
I second the recommendation for Crashplan. I have been using it for the past year. When you look at what you may spend for additional HDs or NAS this is a very worthwhile consideration. I have all of my data/photos/videos etc. backed up. It feels good to know that my data is reliably backed up.