PDA

View Full Version : So I need to pick some components for a new 900D build!

Justintoxicated
07-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Currently I'm waiting for Gen2 Z87 MB's to come out because of the USB3. I Will get picking up 2 of some video card eventually, although I'm not sure what yet.

So I want to start off saying I'll probably be going Asus Formula VI when it comes out, so it should have waterblocks already on the MB.
I currently own:
+ 900D
+ I currently own 2 D5 pumps (one of them is variable).
+ Just ordered 12 Monsoon 1/2" - 3/4" carbon fiber compression fittings.
+ Also have a thermochill PA 120.3 but not sure it will mount up nicely.
+ Currently own a Dtek v2 waterblock but not sure if it will work well for Haswell.
+ Currently own 4 Panaflo L1A / L1BX fans (38mm thick, hoping to re-use them).

NEED help picking: Radiators, Resevoir for 900D.
I was thinking to upgrade to a Heatkiller Waterblock, but I read the monsoon fittings will be to large. Should I look at a different block?
for Radiator I was thinking to go Alphacool UT60 480 x2. Is there something that will fit better? I think I read the monsta will not fit up top if I re-use the nice Panaflow fans, so I would imagine it will not fit on the bottom at all? Would a 420 radiator fit better up top?

Things I do not like
-Acrylic (In the past I have had problems with block tops cracking), but unless someone makes a nice glass delrin resevoir combo I might have to go with acrylic for this.

No idea what to do for a resevoir.
I'm looking for a reservoir that is easy to fill, and that has some way to connect 2 D5's to it. I have only used T-lines in the past. Expandable is good, in case I only need one D5 to start (no video cards selected yet). I like the idea of the bay reservoirs with their coolant temp displays, but not if they are much harder to work with, and I think I would need something that takes up only 2 slots.

Would also like a clean way to drain the loop.

Thanks for your help!

stren
07-18-2013, 10:11 PM
- if you're running haswell are you thinking of delidding? If so consider the supremacy precise mount: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html
- not sure on your existing rad fan spacing compatability, but yes 480x2 would be a good choice. The 420 doesn't gain you any space in terms of thickness (the issue is the top of the board clearance particularly with respect to the cpu 8 pin). It might gain you more usable front drive bays though, not sure.
- if you want a reservoir with no acrylic you could try something like the AquaComputer aqualis, it uses borosilicate glass I believe:

http://i.imgur.com/hHiwJnPl.jpg

- The aqualis can have a single D5 + top mounted directly to it, or you could mount the D5's separately, it doesn't matter, but a direct vertical feed from the res into the pump will help bleed the air out. Here's the pic with the D5 top mounted to the base (no D5 shown)

http://i.imgur.com/em70NSul.jpg

- If instead you wanted a bay reservoir I think you'd have to have acrylic, but the XSPC dual bay single d5 uses very little:

http://i.imgur.com/bjB2hJql.jpg

- there are other dual bay dual D5 reservoirs but they all use more acrylic
- Bay reservoirs in my experience require a bit more work in priming, bleeding and filling depending on the complexity of your loop. With the space of a 900D I'd suggest the aqualis if it's not too pricey.

HTH!

Justintoxicated
07-18-2013, 11:50 PM
- if you're running haswell are you thinking of delidding? If so consider the supremacy precise mount: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html
- not sure on your existing rad fan spacing compatability, but yes 480x2 would be a good choice. The 420 doesn't gain you any space in terms of thickness (the issue is the top of the board clearance particularly with respect to the cpu 8 pin). It might gain you more usable front drive bays though, not sure.
- if you want a reservoir with no acrylic you could try something like the AquaComputer aqualis, it uses borosilicate glass I believe:

- The aqualis can have a single D5 + top mounted directly to it, or you could mount the D5's separately, it doesn't matter, but a direct vertical feed from the res into the pump will help bleed the air out. Here's the pic with the D5 top mounted to the base (no D5 shown)

- If instead you wanted a bay reservoir I think you'd have to have acrylic, but the XSPC dual bay single d5 uses very little:

- there are other dual bay dual D5 reservoirs but they all use more acrylic
- Bay reservoirs in my experience require a bit more work in priming, bleeding and filling depending on the complexity of your loop. With the space of a 900D I'd suggest the aqualis if it's not too pricey.

HTH!

Hey that's a great suggestion. Since it's aquacomputer I'm trying to find what the catch is.
"-Compression fittings with an OD larger than 1/2" will need extensions / adapters to be used with this reservoir. (tested with Bitspower) " I wonder if my fittings will even work? How many would I need 2 or 3? What adapters exactly would make this work? 45s?

Also, this thing has 2 outlets but only one inlet right? So it appears that if I got the version that takes the Aqua-Computer D5 pump top, I would not be able to hookup the second D5? So I would have to get the non pump top version? It would be a really clean easy install with that pump top though. Also, Seems like the fountain effect could cause air to get in the loop (but could also help in removing it?).

As for de-lidding, well that will depend on if the chip I get is any good. I have never delidded before but I'm strongly considering it. I just wonder how soft those cores really are? I never had a problem back in the athalon XP days before this whole IHS business started.

stren
07-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Hey that's a great suggestion. Since it's aquacomputer I'm trying to find what the catch is.
"-Compression fittings with an OD larger than 1/2" will need extensions / adapters to be used with this reservoir. (tested with Bitspower) " I wonder if my fittings will even work? How many would I need 2 or 3? What adapters exactly would make this work? 45s?

Also, this thing has 2 outlets but only one inlet right? So it appears that if I got the version that takes the Aqua-Computer D5 pump top, I would not be able to hookup the second D5? So I would have to get the non pump top version? It would be a really clean easy install with that pump top though. Also, Seems like the fountain effect could cause air to get in the loop (but could also help in removing it?).

As for de-lidding, well that will depend on if the chip I get is any good. I have never delidded before but I'm strongly considering it. I just wonder how soft those cores really are? I never had a problem back in the athalon XP days before this whole IHS business started.

I have those CF fittings so I can try some on it. Also not 100% sure on the outputs and input options. There's definitely an out and in on the front of the D5 block, but for the bubbly fountain effect your return has to come in the top of the reservoir. I assume the other three ports on top are just fill ports but not sure. There is an acrylic shield that protects the input to the pump from bubbles pretty well. I remember it being fairly confusing how to hook it all up when I tried it.

You can just hook up a second D5 in series anywhere else in the loop to be honest, or you could consider a D5 strong with a 24V controller if you want more oomph from a single pump. It is noisier though :) Restriction has gone down a lot though these days so if you're starting over completely a single D5 vario might give you decent ~1+gpm flow.

Conumdrum
07-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Look at the Boxgods Monsoon rez for a D5 if you like a bay rez.

Justintoxicated
07-19-2013, 08:29 AM
If i was going to re-use my thermochill PA 120.3 instead of one of those alphaool radiators would my best bet be to fit it on the top or bottom of the case? The monsoon looks pretty nice too, but I'm digging the aquacomputer one (just not sure it will look great with a bunch of adapters hooked to it. I believe for the fountain effect you have to plug the input into the center bottom, but if you don't care about it they also have a replacement top that allows the input to come in the top. I have a hard time imagining an input in the top working well, seems like a sure way to get air bubbles in a top mounted radiator. In fact I always wondered how top mounted systems work without back filling the reservoir when the computer is off.

Anyways, I'm thinking to get the reservoir separate from the pump, although it would be cheaper and easier to mount if I bought them together. I suppose I could always swap out the base of the reservoir later if I found one pump to not be enough? 2 480 Rads, CPU block, motherboard blocks, and 2 video cards.

Do they make something like this
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10018/ex-pmp-95/EK_525_Mountable_DDC_Dual_Top_V2_-_Black_Acetal_-_Laing_DDC_Swiftech_MCP350355_EK-DDC_Dual_TOP_V2_G14_-_Black_Acetal.html?tl=g30c107s1806 that does not have a reservoir? This way I could have 2 pumps and use that nice reservoir?

Or should I just cave and get the aquacomputer top and use one pump and mount to the reservoir directly.

Then there is this thing,
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12480/ex-res-254/Koolance_RP-452X2_Dual_525_Reservoir_Rev_20_Serial_or_Parallel _for_1_or_2_Pumps_RP-450_Laing_D5_MCP655-B_MCP655.html?tl=g30
Makes mounting crazy simple, and might even allow me to install a 3rd radiator later by not taking up as much space in the case (not that I need that many rads).

stren
07-19-2013, 12:08 PM
If i was going to re-use my thermochill PA 120.3 instead of one of those alphaool radiators would my best bet be to fit it on the top or bottom of the case? The monsoon looks pretty nice too, but I'm digging the aquacomputer one (just not sure it will look great with a bunch of adapters hooked to it. I believe for the fountain effect you have to plug the input into the center bottom, but if you don't care about it they also have a replacement top that allows the input to come in the top. I have a hard time imagining an input in the top working well, seems like a sure way to get air bubbles in a top mounted radiator. In fact I always wondered how top mounted systems work without back filling the reservoir when the computer is off.

Anyways, I'm thinking to get the reservoir separate from the pump, although it would be cheaper and easier to mount if I bought them together. I suppose I could always swap out the base of the reservoir later if I found one pump to not be enough? 2 480 Rads, CPU block, motherboard blocks, and 2 video cards.

Do they make something like this
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10018/ex-pmp-95/EK_525_Mountable_DDC_Dual_Top_V2_-_Black_Acetal_-_Laing_DDC_Swiftech_MCP350355_EK-DDC_Dual_TOP_V2_G14_-_Black_Acetal.html?tl=g30c107s1806 that does not have a reservoir? This way I could have 2 pumps and use that nice reservoir?

Or should I just cave and get the aquacomputer top and use one pump and mount to the reservoir directly.

Then there is this thing,
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12480/ex-res-254/Koolance_RP-452X2_Dual_525_Reservoir_Rev_20_Serial_or_Parallel _for_1_or_2_Pumps_RP-450_Laing_D5_MCP655-B_MCP655.html?tl=g30
Makes mounting crazy simple, and might even allow me to install a 3rd radiator later by not taking up as much space in the case (not that I need that many rads).

It doesn't matter too much if you were to run the thermochill at the top or bottom I don't think. The 900D is designed to run both the top and side as inputs for airflow though and exhausting out the back.

Yeah you might be right about the liquid going up the center of the res and shooting out the top, I really can't remember how it works.

Yes there are quite a few dual pump tops out there that don't directly attach to a reservoir for both DDCs and D5 pumps. EK and Bitspower are pretty popular for the D5s, and for the DDC I think the MCP35x2 dual pump/top is pretty popular.

That koolance bay res mounts the pumps upside down which Laing says specifically to not do. Koolance say that it's ok though. I have the earlier version of that res which is nice but a PITA to bleed.

stren
07-19-2013, 05:53 PM
So I took a look at that aqualis res - the ports on the integrated D5 top are recessed and can't be used with those fittings you have unless you have the extender. However the front port on the res body base itself can be used. In addition the four top ports can be used, but only partial either the middle one, or the outer ones. Did that make sense?

I'll be taking some flow measurements on the EK and BP dual D5 tops in the next week or two if you're not in a hurry.

Justintoxicated
07-20-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm really just trying to figure out how to mount a pump and reservoir. I have some Taps drill bits etc if I need to do a little modding, but I'm not sure whether or not I should go single or dual pump, and what extenders they are talking about. Would some 90 degree swivel fittings get that reservoir working?

If I did go with the integrated D5 top and aquacomputer reservoir, where can I get the model that allows me to add LEDs? Where can I get adapters?
Is this the one that can house LED's or am I totally off and there is no pump base version that takes LEDs?

stren
07-22-2013, 06:22 AM
I'm really just trying to figure out how to mount a pump and reservoir. I have some Taps drill bits etc if I need to do a little modding, but I'm not sure whether or not I should go single or dual pump, and what extenders they are talking about. Would some 90 degree swivel fittings get that reservoir working?

If I did go with the integrated D5 top and aquacomputer reservoir, where can I get the model that allows me to add LEDs? Where can I get adapters?
Is this the one that can house LED's or am I totally off and there is no pump base version that takes LEDs?

The extenders they normally mean are something like this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_346_393_616&products_id=29800

They are not as fat as a fitting meaning they raise the fitting up to avoid any clearance issues with the block design. These would help with the ports on the front of the AC Aqualis D5 top. For the top of the Aqualis. Yes you'd need some thing with a rotary to fit multiple fittings up top. But I don't see why you would do that anyway.

I think all of the Aqualis fountain models let you fit LEDs. Certainly the one I have does which comprises:

1. The reservoir pump top version with fountain effect and nano coating (nano coating supposedly makes it less easy for bubbles to stick to the glass walls, this definitely lets you fit LEDs to light up the reservoir from the bottom:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19441/ex-res-489/AquaComputer_Aqualis_Base_for_Pump_Adapters_w_Nano _Coating_and_Fountain_Effect_-_450mL_34047.html

Alternatively: Cheaper version with no fountain and no nano coating - I don't think you can fit LEDs to the base of this version from the look of the picture (no acrylic window in the base of the reservoir), however maybe you could fit some to the top G 1/4 ports:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16782/ex-res-398/AquaComputer_Aqualis_Base_for_Pump_Adapters_-_450mL_34044.html

2. D5 top:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16779/ex-res-400/AquaComputer_Pump_Adapter_for_D5_Pumps_Compatible_ w_Aqualis_41094.html

This is not the exact version I have, because mine has the integrated fill level sensor. Frozen doesn't stock that one but it seems a bit of a gimmick to me anyway.

Bear in mind there are more size alternatives, but frozen pretty much only carries the 450ml size.

Justintoxicated
07-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Decisions, decisions, I really need to decide on this since it holding up my order.

I didn't think the version Frozen CPU has supports LED's. This is due to the fact there appears to be no power plug for LEDs? Then I read the following
"Special features art. no. 34046, 34047 and 34052: As a optical highlight, a fountain effect can be realized. If the return line is connected to the connector in the socket of the reservoir, the water flows through the brass tube to the top of the reservoir, where it is ejected through eight nozzles. In combination with illumination, this is a real eye catcher effect. A thin acrylic plate near to the bottom of the reservoir reduces air ingestion to a minimum. These reservoirs additionally feature an acrylic window in the base part and up to six LEDs (5 mm size, for example art, no. 95025, not included in delivery) can be installed into the base part."

I guess I need to figure out where to get one of these "LED Kits"

I found this picture on another site and would probably end up mounting it in a similar fashion. But it seems to me having the pump mounted directly to the reservoir would make this setup one step simpler.
http://tinyurl.com/n8r7gla - Sorry I couldn't link directly.

I'm picking up 3 bitspower 90 degree swivels (used) so maybe they would work as extenders out of the aquacomputer pump top, or is the compression fitting problem only for the seperate resevoirs?

Making this a 1 pump system with the 450ml size reservoir + base adapter seems like a good way to go because it becomes less stuff to mount, less connections to make etc. But will 1 pump be enough?

Is there any advantage to the larger reservoir other than the multi port top (smaller ones only seem to have a single port in the top, but thats probably fine for my use (filling it up)?

stren
07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Decisions, decisions, I really need to decide on this since it holding up my order.

I didn't think the version Frozen CPU has supports LED's. This is due to the fact there appears to be no power plug for LEDs? Then I read the following
"Special features art. no. 34046, 34047 and 34052: As a optical highlight, a fountain effect can be realized. If the return line is connected to the connector in the socket of the reservoir, the water flows through the brass tube to the top of the reservoir, where it is ejected through eight nozzles. In combination with illumination, this is a real eye catcher effect. A thin acrylic plate near to the bottom of the reservoir reduces air ingestion to a minimum. These reservoirs additionally feature an acrylic window in the base part and up to six LEDs (5 mm size, for example art, no. 95025, not included in delivery) can be installed into the base part."

I guess I need to figure out where to get one of these "LED Kits"

I found this picture on another site and would probably end up mounting it in a similar fashion. But it seems to me having the pump mounted directly to the reservoir would make this setup one step simpler.
"http://tinyurl.com/n8r7glal" - Sorry I couldn't link directly.

I'm picking up 3 bitspower 90 degree swivels (used) so maybe they would work as extenders out of the aquacomputer pump top, or is the compression fitting problem only for the seperate resevoirs?

Making this a 1 pump system with the 450ml size reservoir + base adapter seems like a good way to go because it becomes less stuff to mount, less connections to make etc. But will 1 pump be enough?

Is there any advantage to the larger reservoir other than the multi port top (smaller ones only seem to have a single port in the top, but thats probably fine for my use (filling it up)?

Yeah the reservoir doesn't come with any LEDs, I haven't even seen those kits, though I'd like one lol because I imagine it's painful to hook them up otherwise.

That link doesn't work for me.

Yeah the 90 degree double rotaries should be fine, it's only a problem because the lockring of the compression is so fat. Barbs for example would be fine. If you're running modern parts with 2 gpus in parallel then you really should be fine. If you're reusing older parts then you may have more of a concern. You could try it both ways seeing as you already have the 2nd pump.

Yes larger reservoirs are only for convenience or looks.

Justintoxicated
07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah the reservoir doesn't come with any LEDs, I haven't even seen those kits, though I'd like one lol because I imagine it's painful to hook them up otherwise.

That link doesn't work for me.

Yeah the 90 degree double rotaries should be fine, it's only a problem because the lockring of the compression is so fat. Barbs for example would be fine. If you're running modern parts with 2 gpus in parallel then you really should be fine. If you're reusing older parts then you may have more of a concern. You could try it both ways seeing as you already have the 2nd pump.

Yes larger reservoirs are only for convenience or looks.

Ok it's all becoming clear now.

So for this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/19943/ex-res-527.jpg/ex-res-527/AquaComputer_Aqualis_Base_for_Pump_Adapters_w_Foun tain_Effect_-_880mL_34052.html I believe we can see an arcylic piece that would house the LEDs in the base.

For this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16781/ex-res-399/AquaComputer_Aqualis_Base_for_Pump_Adapters_w_Nano _Coating_-_450mL_34045.html
The description says "Special features art. no. 34044 and 34045: Up to two optional illumination modules can be installed into two G1/4 threads in the base part."
Yea, so I'm not sure how that would work since it seems to me that it is telling me to add lighting modules to the inlet and outlet ports? Then the description goes on to say "All versions for pump adapters do not feature the fountain effect!" which obviously isn't true due to the other reservoir linked above does support the fountain effect.

So I'm not crazy, I think the descriptions are incorrect and / or out of date! I have no idea how the 34045 can possible light up, or how that fill port works at the top. Even the reservoir "with fountain effect" says it does not support the fountain effect in the description lol.

Oh and I fixed the link above of where the reservoir would be mounted.

stren
07-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Ok it's all becoming clear now.

So for this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/19943/ex-res-527.jpg/ex-res-527/AquaComputer_Aqualis_Base_for_Pump_Adapters_w_Foun tain_Effect_-_880mL_34052.html I believe we can see an arcylic piece that would house the LEDs in the base.

For this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16781/ex-res-399/AquaComputer_Aqualis_Base_for_Pump_Adapters_w_Nano _Coating_-_450mL_34045.html
The description says "Special features art. no. 34044 and 34045: Up to two optional illumination modules can be installed into two G1/4 threads in the base part."
Yea, so I'm not sure how that would work since it seems to me that it is telling me to add lighting modules to the inlet and outlet ports? Then the description goes on to say "All versions for pump adapters do not feature the fountain effect!" which obviously isn't true due to the other reservoir linked above does support the fountain effect.

So I'm not crazy, I think the descriptions are incorrect and / or out of date! I have no idea how the 34045 can possible light up, or how that fill port works at the top. Even the reservoir "with fountain effect" says it does not support the fountain effect in the description lol.

Oh and I fixed the link above of where the reservoir would be mounted.

Yeah there are definitely errors there:
- the fountain version for pump adapter does exist because I have one
- I think all the fountain ones are like mine and have the two small windows underneath each of which can be fitted 3 LEDs
- The regular non fountain version may or may not have g 1/4 ports that you can fit acrylic plugs to, with LEDs that push in. You don't have to buy AC ones for this, there are plenty of other brands that also sell these. From the look of the pictures I've seen I don't think the non fountain pump adapter version of the reservoir has these extra g1/4 ports but I might be wrong. If you definitely want to light from underneath then I'd go with the fountain.

Look at the Boxgods Monsoon rez for a D5 if you like a bay rez.

Yup I just got mine in and it's sexy - pics here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?258749-New-Monsoon-Modular-Reservoir-System&p=5200209&viewfull=1#post5200209

Gene confirmed the window is glass too.

I still think cylinders directly feeding a pump are better for bleeding, but this looks so far like a really really good bay reservoir!

Justintoxicated
07-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Yeah there are definitely errors there:
- the fountain version for pump adapter does exist because I have one
- I think all the fountain ones are like mine and have the two small windows underneath each of which can be fitted 3 LEDs
- The regular non fountain version may or may not have g 1/4 ports that you can fit acrylic plugs to, with LEDs that push in. You don't have to buy AC ones for this, there are plenty of other brands that also sell these. From the look of the pictures I've seen I don't think the non fountain pump adapter version of the reservoir has these extra g1/4 ports but I might be wrong. If you definitely want to light from underneath then I'd go with the fountain.

Yup I just got mine in and it's sexy - pics here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?258749-New-Monsoon-Modular-Reservoir-System&p=5200209&viewfull=1#post5200209

Gene confirmed the window is glass too.

I still think cylinders directly feeding a pump are better for bleeding, but this looks so far like a really really good bay reservoir!

I'm used to feed and bleed with a T-line so I have a hard time imagining any reservoir being worse. That monsoon really does look nice and I always wanted a Bay Reservoir but have been avoiding them due to problems that they seem to typically have. Between the two and considering I can fit either one with of course the monsoon being the easiest to mount, which do you like better? I mean you have both so your opinion really counts. The Monsoon will fit, but my drive bays will be 100% full, not that I can imagining needed anything else for them. (front panel, Blue ray drive, fan controller, monsoon).

The case gives me too many options. I do like that that lights are readily available for the monsoon! Also monsoon is made in the USA? that is a plus for it too. The Aqualis + would be easier to fill and bleed, frees up drive bay (but I can't imagine ever needing them anyways), mounts in open space in case. With the downside being that I may need to drill a couple holes (also no big deal).

stren
07-23-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm used to feed and bleed with a T-line so I have a hard time imagining any reservoir being worse. That monsoon really does look nice and I always wanted a Bay Reservoir but have been avoiding them due to problems that they seem to typically have. Between the two and considering I can fit either one with of course the monsoon being the easiest to mount, which do you like better? I mean you have both so your opinion really counts. The Monsoon will fit, but my drive bays will be 100% full, not that I can imagining needed anything else for them. (front panel, Blue ray drive, fan controller, monsoon).

The case gives me too many options. I do like that that lights are readily available for the monsoon! Also monsoon is made in the USA? that is a plus for it too. The Aqualis + would be easier to fill and bleed, frees up drive bay (but I can't imagine ever needing them anyways), mounts in open space in case. With the downside being that I may need to drill a couple holes (also no big deal).

Well bear in mind I haven't mounted a pump to the Monsoon yet. I'm also not sure where the Monsoon is manufactured, though it's definitely designed in the US. I believe the Aqualis is manufactured in Germany with the exception of any cables which are made in China. The monsoon will definitely be cheaper as it retails at $99.

I'd say a lot comes down to aesthetics and lighting and whether you'll see the window or the front of the case more to be honest.

Justintoxicated
07-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I think this case is going on top of my desk, since it's too tall to fit underneath where my current rig is. I'd say with the LED's t would probably be more visible in the front though. It's cheaper but not by a significant amount but still +1 there and it has inserts for silver bullets which is nice too. Nearly everyone advises me against getting a Bay reservoir though, that is if I have the space for something else.

As far as build quality, would you say they are similar?

stren
07-24-2013, 12:05 PM
So apparantly I was confused earlier - the monsoon is not glass but acrylic. So based on you wanting glass then I'd go with the Aqualis.

As you have two pumps if you wanted to bling it up then you could do both :P

Justintoxicated
07-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Do you know how tall the D5+ Aquacomputer pump top is? I have about 14-15" to work with before the pump would enter the lower chamber. A ruff estimate because I don't have the upper radiator and fans installed.

Justintoxicated
07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Ok So I decided on the Aqualis stand alone unit, with nano coating and waterfall effect etc.
I'm thinking to pickup the Ek dual pump top, although for the price of the thing I could probably just get a 3rd pump and run 3 in series lol
Now for CPU blocks, I was going to re-use my Dtek Fusion V2. It is a very high flow block, however after paying @25 shipped for a new mounting bracket I'm thinking that I'd be better off investing in something newer.

if I might want to d-lid and direct cool would there be a particular block that would stand out?
The Koolance 380I has some pretty good reviews, but I'm worried about it being nickle plated.
The heatkiller 3.0 LT looks a bit dated but it is very affordable.

Or is there something else that would be better?

Finally any particular compound worth getting? I currently have Artic Ceramique,
IX seems really pricey since you only get 2 shots.
Liquid pro? (Does this stuff become permanent though?)

Finally, I think I will need 8 of these + some longer screws for the Panaflo L1A's (Or I can zip-tie them in place for free) Are these going to be hard to find at a local hardware store?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16761/scr-03/XSPC_6-32_Replacement_Radiator_Screw_Pack_-_Black_-_8_Pack_4_x_5mm_and_4_x_30mm.html?tl=c95s162b49

I'm thinking the 5mm ones will be tricky (I do own a dremel and dies if I need to go that route to save some money) $24 for screws seems pricey.

stren
07-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Do you know how tall the D5+ Aquacomputer pump top is? I have about 14-15" to work with before the pump would enter the lower chamber. A ruff estimate because I don't have the upper radiator and fans installed.

Sorry didn't see, the one I have is about 10.5" tall for the combo D5/aqualis/top

Ok So I decided on the Aqualis stand alone unit, with nano coating and waterfall effect etc.
I'm thinking to pickup the Ek dual pump top, although for the price of the thing I could probably just get a 3rd pump and run 3 in series lol
Now for CPU blocks, I was going to re-use my Dtek Fusion V2. It is a very high flow block, however after paying @25 shipped for a new mounting bracket I'm thinking that I'd be better off investing in something newer.

if I might want to d-lid and direct cool would there be a particular block that would stand out?
The Koolance 380I has some pretty good reviews, but I'm worried about it being nickle plated.
The heatkiller 3.0 LT looks a bit dated but it is very affordable.

Or is there something else that would be better?

Finally any particular compound worth getting? I currently have Artic Ceramique,
IX seems really pricey since you only get 2 shots.
Liquid pro? (Does this stuff become permanent though?)

Finally, I think I will need 8 of these + some longer screws for the Panaflo L1A's (Or I can zip-tie them in place for free) Are these going to be hard to find at a local hardware store?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16761/scr-03/XSPC_6-32_Replacement_Radiator_Screw_Pack_-_Black_-_8_Pack_4_x_5mm_and_4_x_30mm.html?tl=c95s162b49

I'm thinking the 5mm ones will be tricky (I do own a dremel and dies if I need to go that route to save some money) $24 for screws seems pricey.

Yeah tops can get pricey. You could run two single tops it might be cheaper and more flexible for the future. I wouldn't bother with 3 pumps that's a bit overkill. I've only seen a couple of threads with Koolance nickel issues so I wouldn't worry too much. Use an anti-corrosive additive if you're worried I guess. The HK3.0 is good with IX, but it suffered with normal TIM. The ports are also really close, not much clearance. You could get the EK supremacy in copper if you want, and if you are delidding then that's a good choice because it has a precision mount kit available just for delidded cpus. I think the supremacy now comes with gelid extreme which is decent TIM too I think.

For TIM skinnee still has some of the best testing on TIMs, there's not much in it between the top few TIMs though. If I care I use IX, if I don't (which is most of the time) I use MX2 just because it's cheap in bulk, non conductive and easy to use. It depends how much you want to chase the last degree.

Yeah you should be able to get 1&1/4" long 6-32 threaded bolts from any hardware store, not sure how short they'd stock though. I've definitely bought the 1 1/4" ones in the past for probably a buckish for a few in a small pack from home depot. I've bought screws from amazon too before and a buddy recommended boltdepot.com too for rarer sizes.

Justintoxicated
08-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Ok so I decided on the EK Supremacy clean CSQ block (delrin top), with nakid ivy mount kit just in case I figure out how to delid without having liquid pro fuse my CPU and block together. I was thinking, to use liquid pro under the IHS, and IX on top of the IHS (no need to lap then?), and permanently re-glue the IHS to the CPU. This seems like the best solution but I'll hold off on ordering this stuff for now? Maybe direct die cooling with a regular tim would be just as good?

Now if I get the aqualis reservoir, could I put a silver kill coil around the nickle plated tube? Seems like this might be a bad idea to have them that close together? Maybe a silver bullet in the unused port would be better (not touching)? Or skip the silver / nickle combo and just use some PTNuke style biocide?

stren
08-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Ok so I decided on the EK Supremacy clean CSQ block (delrin top), with nakid ivy mount kit just in case I figure out how to delid without having liquid pro fuse my CPU and block together. I was thinking, to use liquid pro under the IHS, and IX on top of the IHS (no need to lap then?), and permanently re-glue the IHS to the CPU. This seems like the best solution but I'll hold off on ordering this stuff for now? Maybe direct die cooling with a regular tim would be just as good?

Now if I get the aqualis reservoir, could I put a silver kill coil around the nickle plated tube? Seems like this might be a bad idea to have them that close together? Maybe a silver bullet in the unused port would be better (not touching)? Or skip the silver / nickle combo and just use some PTNuke style biocide?

Yeah I wouldn't wrap it around the tube as now you're putting them in direct contact which won't help. I took apart one of my bay reservoirs yesterday that just had silver in it and there was some slight green build up, so I think I'll be moving to PTNuke myself and see if it improves.

Justintoxicated
08-06-2013, 06:12 PM
So I ended up with:

2 XSPC 480 RX 480 rad $120 for both.
12 Monsoon Carbon black compression fittings and 3 bitspower 90 swivels $65
EK D5 x-top pump top. $37
Ek Supreamacy + Nakid Ivy mount. $5
Awqualis Resevoir with Fountain Effect and Nano coating (only thing nickle plated in loop) $94
I&H deadwater $4
4x GT Ap-15 fans $37
1/2x3/4th elegant white advanced LRT Primichill tubing $25

and some other small parts (replacement o rings for the fittings since I got them used etc)

Next I will need to order some actual computer parts :)

I was a little turned off that the Asus Formula VI Z87 will have aluminum water blocks on it :( Maybe someone will make a replacement. It will launch with C1 chipset though so I'll still be holding off for C2.... Keeping my eyes out for deals on video cards!

stren
08-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Grats - shame to hear it's AL. EK indicated that they are planning to release a formula block at some point in time so hopefully you'll be covered anyway at the expense of $$$ lol

Justintoxicated
08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
I got all the stuff on Saterday which was a nice surprise. I spent hours playing with the gear trying to figure out how to mount everything up. I ran into a couple issues.

1) The pump was not easily mountable in the position I wanted. Quick remedy was to use 2 90 deg swivel fittings to direct the flow. But instead I decided to make this mount because 90's restrict flow and because I didn't want to buy more unnecessary fittings :) Found a piece of scrap aluminum in the garage and made a decent bend, Tapped it with a brass hammer to straighten. It left some marks but really you won't be able to see them once mounted anyways.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5339/9497417480_c25380d30a_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28650323@N07/9497417480/)
pump mount (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28650323@N07/9497417480/) by Glamisduner (http://www.flickr.com/people/28650323@N07/), on Flickr

I kept the stock mounting piece to make it more rigid. It looked a little better with it on the inside of the aluminum, but I didn't have any button head screws that fit the EK top, so I stuck it back on the outside with the provided taper top screws. It will work well enough I think.

2) The other problem I'm having is with the aqualis mounting. Once mounted it is no longer straight and leans away from the mount. It's probably due to the flex of the mount and motherboard tray in the 900D, vs the heavy weight of the glass aqualis. Not sure how I will solve this one yet.

solution1,
I don't care that much for the look of the additional mounting bracket that frozen CPU sells, but its not that bad and would work if only it was in stock. This will require drilling 2 more holes and removing one of the cable retention brackets on the case which is ok.
solution 2,
remove and simply bend the bracket lightly to compensate for the flex of the mount. Totally doable and secure, but not that ridgid (pushing on the rez will cause it to wobble)
solution 3,
I can put something underneath the reservoir to push it into proper position. This will look a little cleaner and give it a more solid mounted feel. Probably not as solid as the extra bracket but solid enough for certain. It also looks a little cleaner. Just not sure what to use for this?

In the embarrassingly bad photo below (taken late last night for purpose of this post only), you can see the metal strap that sits under the reservoir, between the aqualis and case strap, I stuck one of the chrome plugs from the reservoir. This puts it in proper position. So something about that big, maybe some kinda rubber would be perfect?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7367/9494704235_6fd58e409a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28650323@N07/9494704235/)
aqualis (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28650323@N07/9494704235/) by Glamisduner (http://www.flickr.com/people/28650323@N07/), on Flickr

Any ideas?

Also how does everyone deal with running so many fans in a case these days? Everyone make their own cable extensions? Where can I buy the gear to do this?

Oh and the Monsoon 1/2", 3/4" compression fittings do actually fit the aqualis without extensions, as long as you don't use the ports next to each other like I plan to do. So it looks like I will need to place another order for some extension pieces. Actually the bitspower 90 deg fits fine, but needs to be extended outward to fit the compression fitting on it.