PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Linux Distro for Router/Network Security

Nightcreeper
06-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Specs:
Celeron E1200 Dual Core @ 1.6GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
80GB Sata HDD
Onboard Gigabit and Intel Gigabit Card

Looking for a Linux based/Open-Source Firewall OS that offers real time virus scanning, ad-blocking, IPS, IDS, and is Free.

I put this in this section, because I didn't see another more appropriate section. Thanks.

Blackstare
06-30-2013, 10:28 PM
You should try PfSense

http://www.pfsense.org/

Scubar
06-30-2013, 10:31 PM
PfSense for sure. Im currently in the process of trying to get a jetway ITX mobo that has the 4 lan ports on it specifically for a PfSense build.

OldChap
07-01-2013, 08:17 AM
PfSense tend to recommend intel NIC's so when getting a board you get a choice if you then plug in a dual port (or more) NIC

PfSense is a system that is waaay more capable than I am in setting it all up and there are a whole bunch of plug ins to get the functionality you need if it is not already present.

jspace
07-09-2013, 03:34 AM
pfSense isn't Linux based, FYI.
It's also what I would recommend.

Highendtoys
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
PFSense for sure. You can also find enterprise DNS / DHCP servers on EBay pretty cheap. I bought a 1u DNS server and ended up installing PFSsense anyhow. Check out some of the Bluecat Networks and IP Control units.

HuffPCair
09-04-2013, 03:07 AM
pfSense isn't Linux based, FYI.
It's also what I would recommend.

It is Berk Unix, so close enough, open source nonetheless. It is a good one, and I like it, have not really found anything better for my uses.