PDA

View Full Version : ATI 9700 Pro Waterblocks Yet?

zippyc
09-06-2002, 06:25 PM
I just recieved my ATI 9700 Pro...it has large heatsinks and a noisy (compared to water cooling) fan assby. for the GPU. The memory does not have heat sinks on it (needed if overclocked?)

Has anyone popped the fan assby. off of one of these babies yet? Do they have "standard" size/location mounting holes? It looks like they might from the bottom view.

Anyone put a GPU cooler on these yet? What worked and what do you reccomend? And how about an overclocking utility for this board...is there one out there yet?

Thanks!

Charles Wirth
09-06-2002, 06:45 PM
There is a piece of frag tape under the HSF, without the tape the core would not touch the HSF.

This is a result of the silver ring around the outside edge of the chip attached by ATI when the CPU is made.

The ring is soldered on and doesnt look like it will come off easy if someone attempted.

A shim can be made and works great with stock hsf.

There is a few SMT parts on the VPU near the core that can be an issue if you use too much conductive thermal compound and get sloppy.

Sadly the only 2 hounting holes are offset diagonal. using a HSF mold of the bottom you should be able to make something to fit easy.

zippyc
09-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the description, Fugger.

Are you overclocking it? How?

Creative
09-06-2002, 08:04 PM
Ive been told the holes are in the same position as GF3 cards. Can anyone confirm this?

Cos if so then Ill use my old DD block that I have here for GF3 cards...or would this be difficult?

Cheers

Charles Wirth
09-06-2002, 10:41 PM
Power strip seems to be the only way to overclock it so far.

Pstrip works ok, nag screen takes longer each time you reboot.

Often the "esc" key can save you from lock up.

zippyc
09-19-2002, 07:38 AM
Fugger,

Powerstrip works great. Thanks for the lead.

BTW I recieved my Geminicool GPU cooler and installed it this week. The pin placement for attaching sinks to this card is the same as the Gforce 4.

Combined with the RAMsinks I purchased form ocsystems, My GPU temp (flat thermister probe taped to center of GPU profile, other side( top) of card) went from:

Normal Clock Speeds

Air-Cooled: 55C
Water Cooled: 39C

365/335
Air-Cooled: 68.2C Core
Water Cooled: 44C during nature scene of MO

Also memory dropped from as high as 61.2C down to 45C at the same sampling during madonion/nature scene with the addition of the water cooling and the memory heatsinks. (Temp probe placed just next to where mem. mates with card.)

These cards run way too hot from the factory in my opinion. With watercooling I can clock up to 399 on the GPU and up to 330 on the memory. How high have you clocked with stability?

Silversink
09-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by FUGGER
Power strip seems to be the only way to overclock it so far.

Pstrip works ok, nag screen takes longer each time you reboot.

Often the "esc" key can save you from lock up.

Powerstrip if im not mistaken Lags 5 seconds the first 100 or so restarts and then gets incrementally slower by like 1/20 of a second thereafter..... Its something to that effect but it takes awhile to get to the slower Lag screens.... (unless you reboot 10 times a day) :)

Charles Wirth
09-19-2002, 08:59 PM
The first Sapphire R9700 maxed out at 370/330 with mods on.

My new retail ATI 9700 benches at 393/355 pure stock.

zippyc
09-19-2002, 09:42 PM
New high MO2001, 14,675!

I'm still clocking at 398/330. I'll try the higher memory speed.

BTBJP
09-24-2002, 04:19 AM
Danger Den now have R9700 Pro waterblocks! ones that work with the shim!
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/chipset.asp

Yodums
10-07-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by BTBJP
Danger Den now have R9700 Pro waterblocks! ones that work with the shim!
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/chipset.asp

First time I've seen that. But the GeForce 3 waterblocks do work with the Radeon 9700. Someone had posted a picture and the holes align perfectly. However ATI has that shim around their GPU and needs to be removed.