PDA

View Full Version : 64NOMIS LIVE - Tonight's Guests - Omni, Rift, Hydra - Live Studio Audience

64NOMIS
06-14-2013, 06:49 PM
This was a good night for us, and we had a chance to go down the rabbit hole of VR. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_315352&feature=iv&src_vid=vyLfCfmcW70&v=f4CLKt2F8tk

s1nykuL
06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks for this.

I wish you luck in your endeavors, this deserves to succeed.

It set my imagination on fire, gaming is but a fraction of the potential.

I can imagine a virtual Internet where one doesn't visit websites anymore.
One enters them, interacts with them, interacts with the content and interacts with other visitors to the site as if in a bricks and mortar building.

Yes, the potential of VR is enormous. I wish you luck.

EnJoY
06-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Simon,

Seriously, my mind is blown when I think of all of the potential possibilities for this device, and knowing that your massive brain is apart of this project leaves me feeling extremely optimistic. What needs to happen is for an 'affordable' package of all three pieces of hardware to be delivered (by affordable, under $2,000?), and let the demand drive costs down over time as the products continue to be improved. I can see this in every celebrity, rap artist, and wealthy-manchild's man cave in a year if you guys could accomplish this. Obviously, support for next-gen game consoles would be paramount for this idea to come to fruition.

El Mano
06-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm doubtful about this.
It's cool, at least it is on the paper. But when it comes to real life... I don't know if I really want to go through the hassle just to play a game. It's going to be very, very expensive. It takes a lot of space at home. I'm not sure it's going to be comfortable.
Besides, current tech for motion controllers ain't that good, though that is just a matter of time. I played KillZone 3 on PS3 using the gun and it's fun, but tiring, and it doesn't beat a mouse when it comes to accuracy.

The Oculus Rift on it's own is a good idea but the rest, I don't know.

I can imagine a virtual Internet where one doesn't visit websites anymore.
One enters them, interacts with them, interacts with the content and interacts with other visitors to the site as if in a bricks and mortar building.
No, certainly not. Very uncomfortable.

s1nykuL
06-25-2013, 02:36 AM
I'm doubtful about this.
It's cool, at least it is on the paper. But when it comes to real life... I don't know if I really want to go through the hassle just to play a game. It's going to be very, very expensive. It takes a lot of space at home. I'm not sure it's going to be comfortable.
Besides, current tech for motion controllers ain't that good, though that is just a matter of time. I played KillZone 3 on PS3 using the gun and it's fun, but tiring, and it doesn't beat a mouse when it comes to accuracy.

The Oculus Rift on it's own is a good idea but the rest, I don't know.

No, certainly not. Very uncomfortable.

I see your point. However the technology will improve. I personally would rather sit with a mouse and keyboard, but I am a lazy (prefer a mental work out to a physical one) old fart. Now if I could just lean... forwards, backwards, sideways in my seat to instigate my avatars movement in a VR...

Perhaps that is something to think about Simon, instead of standing in the Ominis make the Omnis into a seat that translates the center of gravity of the sitter into directional motion. If you read it here first... and make this idea a product, I'll send you my address so you know where to send the royalty payments ;-)

El Mano
06-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Perhaps that is something to think about Simon, instead of standing in the Ominis make the Omnis into a seat that translates the center of gravity of the sitter into directional motion. If you read it here first... and make this idea a product, I'll send you my address so you know where to send the royalty payments ;-)

This is a good idea.

Standing and aiming with a gun might be tiring, but I can definitely see myself moving over the chair dodging missiles, leaning in corners and whatnot while aiming with my mouse.
Turn it into a vest or something you can wear, that would be cool. Standing still is tiring, make it something we can use while sitting on a chair.

In fact, how many times did you find yourself moving while sitting on the chair, like if you were the guy on the screen?

s1nykuL
06-27-2013, 12:54 PM
This is a good idea.

Standing and aiming with a gun might be tiring, but I can definitely see myself moving over the chair dodging missiles, leaning in corners and whatnot while aiming with my mouse.
Turn it into a vest or something you can wear, that would be cool. Standing still is tiring, make it something we can use while sitting on a chair.

In fact, how many times did you find yourself moving while sitting on the chair, like if you were the guy on the screen?

That's what made me think of it, I have often found myself ducking, leaning or sitting up straighter in my seat to try and peer over an obstacle I am crouched behind. Usually whilst playing slower or sneak FPS. Not so much with twitch kill like TF2, Eye to brain to hand/fingers with games like that, anything else would just get in the way... get you killed ;-)