PDA

View Full Version : Your pick of grease for water cooling?

Rob94hawk
05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
It's gonna be my son and I's first water cooling rig. I looked on frozencpu and there's quite a few. I'm used to using AS5 and MX2 for all my air cooled rigs. What's the latest and greatest? Thanx.

paulbagz
05-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Hey Rob9, there are a lot of decent TIM comparison guides out there (Skinneelabs etc) that have a lot of good in depth information.

MX2 is still a really good TIM however its been superseded by MX4 and I'm not sure if it's still being readily made as it once was.

I personally have had great success with Prolimatek PK1 and Indigo Extreme (the latter being awesome once you get past the setup phase).

-PB

Rob94hawk
05-06-2013, 05:39 PM
How about Innovation Cooling Diamond "24 Carat" Thermal Compound?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7299/thr-44/Innovation_Cooling_Diamond_24_Carat_Thermal_Compou nd_-_48_Grams.html

AMDforME
05-06-2013, 08:09 PM
It's gonna be my son and I's first water cooling rig. I looked on frozencpu and there's quite a few. I'm used to using AS5 and MX2 for all my air cooled rigs. What's the latest and greatest? Thanx.

If you look at the TIM test results from reputable review sites you will see that there is only 1C-2C difference amongst the top 25+ TIMs. Any of these TIMs will work just fine for air or water cooling including AS5 and MX-2, as the test results confirm.

There are several threads here and in every forum on TIMs and some folks buy into all the hype and ignore the fact that 1C-2C doesn't change the CPU performance at all so use whatever TIM you like as your CPU will never know the difference between any of the top 25+ TIMs or even mayonnaise - in a pinch. It's true.

Conumdrum
05-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Amen for AMDforME. It's not a big deal. Mx-2 is perfectly fine, as long as it's not Great Dane poop, it's known to stink at high temp loads.

It's called TIM. Not Grease.

chispy
05-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Gelid extreme :)

StAndrew
05-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Indigo Extreme is the best but expensive and only good for one use. I use AS5 until Im sure Im sticking with the current setup (everything is working). Then I clean off the AS5 and put on the Indigo Extreme pad.

CrazyNutz
05-07-2013, 08:38 AM

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7299/thr-44/Innovation_Cooling_Diamond_24_Carat_Thermal_Compou nd_-_48_Grams.html

IC diamond will eat into the surface of the heat spreader on the CPU, and leave a perma stain. I had this happen many times so I stopped using it.
If you want a good diamond based paste use Antec Formula 7.

musicfan
05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
http://skinneelabs.com/2011-thermal-paste-review-comparison/

Rob94hawk
06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Indigo Extreme is the best but expensive and only good for one use. I use AS5 until Im sure Im sticking with the current setup (everything is working). Then I clean off the AS5 and put on the Indigo Extreme pad.

Thanx! Gonna go with a few Indigo's.

zeroibis
06-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Have used this for many years for CPUs and liked it. I use MX4 for GPU.

I have not noticed any stain issues on the CPUs that I used it on although I cleaned them with the artic cleaner stuff.

AMDforME
06-08-2013, 10:55 AM
How much higher will your CPU/GP/APU clock with Indigo or other expensive TIMs compared to MX-2 or AS5? The answer is it won't.

That being said buy whatever makes you happy as long as you understand there is no useful performance advantage to any one of the top ~(25) TIMs vs. the others.

Stealth42o
06-08-2013, 05:34 PM
My pick is whatever is the closest. I got 6 and I cannot tell the difference.

Computurd
06-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I go for simplicity. Something non-conductive that spreads easily. I used to use the diamond too, but its so hard to work with. MX-4 it and forget it.

Rob94hawk
06-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I go for simplicity. Something non-conductive that spreads easily. I used to use the diamond too, but its so hard to work with. MX-4 it and forget it.

This is why I like indigo. Don't have to spread it. Just put it on and bolt it up correctly and be done with it. No spreading. But now that I returned my 3770k for a 4770k I'm considering going xtreme...

BTW, nice friggin Marneus Calgar avatar. Been playing 40k since the 90's. Got the new Eldar Codex in my hand as we speak. :)

AMDforME
06-08-2013, 08:53 PM
My pick is whatever is the closest. I got 6 and I cannot tell the difference.

Exactly the point... and neither can your CPU/APU or GPU. :up:

step
06-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Here I thought that this was xtreme systems... where 1-2 degrees does matter...

Rob94hawk
06-10-2013, 05:18 AM

QFT. If it didn't matter than no one would be using Liquid pro on everything including their toast.

AMDforME
06-10-2013, 05:34 AM

If your CPU/APU/GPU doesn't allow you to OC higher from the 1C-2C change (and it won't), then what difference does it make other than in your mind and wallet? Extreme performance is what the goal is not an extreme lack of technical understanding or extreme gullibility to marketing hype. Many PC enthusiasts fail to understand they are being led like sheep.

QFT. If it didn't matter than no one would be using Liquid pro on everything including their toast.

Thankfully everyone isn't using LP on everything - especially their toast. ;) A fool and his money...but it's your money, so enjoy.

MrToad
06-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Thankfully everyone isn't using LP on everything - especially their toast. ;) A fool and his money...but it's your money, so enjoy.

LP and LU have their uses, like between the IHS and the core in a de-lidded CPU, where they yield real world measurable temp differences over stock and none of the drawbacks matter much.

Would not consider the stuff for "normal" use though mostly because removal after a few months is pretty unfriendly.

Personally I use Gelid GC-Extreme for direct die and Prolimatech TK-1 for IHS... they were both readily available when I purchased them, seemed reasonably priced, both are easy to apply for the intended use (the Gelid is easy to spread and the TK-1 is very forgiving using the "line" approach) and seem to perform well.

Rob94hawk
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Ended up using Noctua NT-H1. Still have the Liquid Pro but haven't used it yet.

How long does Liquid Pro last? 1 year? More?

Conumdrum
06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Maybe ask on their forums? 1 year is forever here, most make changes before that. My MX-4 on my current build is over two years old and hasn't changed at all in temp load testing.

Rob94hawk
06-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Maybe ask on their forums? 1 year is forever here, most make changes before that. My MX-4 on my current build is over two years old and hasn't changed at all in temp load testing.

Didn't see their forums but I did shoot them an email a few days ago. Haven't heard anything back yet.