PDA

View Full Version : Are WD Blacks any good for hardware RAID?

tiro_uspsss
04-29-2013, 02:31 AM
As per title - I'm thinking of going hardware RAID - I have the controller & 8 WD Blacks.. thinking of grabbing two more & then make either a RAID 5 or 6 array using a 9260-8i. However I recall any WD hdd that isn't a RE has TLER on/off & this messes up badly in a hardware RAID config - or am I getting confused? :yawn:

paulbagz
04-29-2013, 03:51 AM
The Reds/Blacks that I have used with hardware RAID have never missed a beat (8x2TB Reds in a QNAP TS-819 and 6x2TB Blacks in a custom server with a Dell Perc H700).

Also have a server at work with 8x2TB RE4s on some Areca card and they're happy as well after a decent flogging (its a media server that serves up to 50+ users at a time).

I prefer Blacks/REs solely for their warranty, supposedly Reds don't have the same error bit checking as Enterprise drives (Constellations, RE's etc) but I could be wrong, never bothered to look into more.

-PB

MadHacker
05-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Myself I have 10 WD 2TB green drives in raid 6 hooked to a RocketRAID 3560 Controller.
I so far had to RMA 1 of the drives, but the rest are fine.
I have the system scheduled to do a verify once a week.
I really don't need faster drives since it saturates the gigabit network anyways.