PDA

View Full Version : rod not staying in Maze4gpu...

sandman
02-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Alright, I just got my new 9800np, the stock heatsink was a PITA to get off, but I got it off.

Put on my waterblock, start to tighten down the springs and one of the rod pops out of the mounting holes in the base of the block.

So, I put it back in, and it does it again. And again.

Could I just superglue it in there? I mean would it hold?

SupaMan
02-06-2004, 06:09 PM
you mean the screw that comes from the block? its threaded in, so you just have to thread it back in. clockwise :)

sandman
02-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I did, but it doesn't stay in. So, I need a way to make it stay in there.

Karnivore
02-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Umm, if its not staying in, or even screwing in tight don't screw around with glue, Give DD a email or phone call get a new one.. Inspect teh threading with a bright light, both the bolt and the hole, sounds like it wasn't tapped properly, or you messed up the threading some how... Glue is a bit TO ghetto IMO...

sandman
02-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Well, the rods I got with it work fine with the two holes that are the farthest apart, which is what I used with my 5900.

But, this 9800np makes me use the two holes that are closest together, and these holes are bigger than the outside ones, and it seemed like it was in there good, until the springs got tightned down all the way. Then it came out.

As far as ghetto goes, if it works I'll use it. I have a LAN to go to tomorrow.

Karnivore
02-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Do whatever you want, your hardware, just seems it would be a shame to kill your card because the block came loose...

sandman
02-06-2004, 06:32 PM
That's why I'm asking if it would work?

I don't want to kill the card......

Karnivore
02-06-2004, 06:51 PM
As I said I wouldn't trust it, I would run it on air until the block is fixed the right way.. Not saying a DIY fix isn't possible, just why bother and risk a loss. For gaming the waterblock probably doesn't even offer a noticeable advantage. It is a PITA but do it the right way, you'll be happier in the long run...

sandman
02-06-2004, 07:30 PM
I decided not to do it.

SupaMan
02-06-2004, 08:11 PM
i dont think glue would hold well enough in the long term. as long as you havent pulled off that silver sticker it should still be under warrantee

Gogeta
02-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by SupaMan
as long as you havent pulled off that silver sticker it should still be under warrantee

Even if its been lapped?

CCW
02-08-2004, 05:17 PM
In the DangerDen Maze 4 installation guides that Marci wrote for Over-Clock, he recommends super glue for people that will be removing the blocks regularly so it stays in place.

If he drops by, maybe he can confoim this is correct....

Craig

SysCrusher
02-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Thats what i did with mine.

Karnivore
02-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by CCW
In the DangerDen Maze 4 installation guides that Marci wrote for Over-Clock, he recommends super glue for people that will be removing the blocks regularly so it stays in place.

Craig

Uh, maybe, but not for stripped threading......

SupaMan
02-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by CCW

Craig

he's saying that for in case it keeps unscrewing itself. Superglue can keep it from spinning out of its hole, but IMO wont be able to hold all the weight/tension it would have to with stripped threads.