PDA

View Full Version : R9700 core overclocking problems

PiLsY
09-06-2002, 11:45 AM
Lo guys.

Im using powerstrip ver 348 (i think) and for some reason am having a hell of a time getting the core overclock to actually work. It seems to get "stuck" and only a reinstall of powerstrip and drivers will fix it. After installing powerstrip only the memory would overclock, when I clicked apply on the core it just returned to 324mhz (default). First reboot I got it to work for about 3 runs, cranked up to 363 during that time. It then got stuck again. After much messing around it again worked and got me to 380. Now its stuck again at 383mhz and I cant seem to get it to move again. All these driver reinstalls are :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing up my bench partition - my score drops a few points each time. This core hit 377 on air, so now its watered I should be looking at 400 if only the damn thing would work. 343 mem seems ot be my limit, but ive got no ramsinks on at the moment, so things may improve there when I get some sorted.

For now though I just want to get powerstrip sorted out and working properly. Any ideas (or later versions)?

PiLsY.

KAIN
09-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Have you tried Rivatuner at all?

As thats what I've used to overclock every recent card I've had!

PiLsY
09-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Nothing supports the R9700 yet apart from powerstrip m8 (at least thats what rage3d reckon).

Anyway, I finally got it sussed. The thing to do is to turn off for a good 15 minutes totally power free. Reboot and powerstrip works for 1 core change only. I stuck the core up to 400 and mem up to 350, then rescanned my gfx card to get the default clocks. This set defaults to 400/350. I then saved that profile. Now every time I start up I just load up that profile and adjust my clocks down to their stable settings (currently 387/340 - but im working on it with some ramsinks coming soon and some better reverse of GPU cooling). Im hoping to top out at 390/345, maybe a touch higher on the memory depending how well the ramsinks do.

PiLsY.

Charles Wirth
09-06-2002, 04:36 PM
BMG first reported this bug, you need to OC the ram to 330 before you can raise the core above that.

Other than that it all works well.

I also found "reforce" to work best at locking the refresh rates.

PiLsY
09-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Fugger - didnt work for me m8. I already had the ram maxed out at 340 before I even tried to o/c the core. It was totally random when it would let me change core speed above default or not. As soon as it let me change it up then I re-scanned the card for default speeds and saved it, so the o/cd speeds became default as far as powerstrip was concerned. Once you have the o/c speed set you can adjust down as much as you like, just rarely up. I therefore went well above my 3dmark core speed (400 compared to 387) to give myself some leeway for volting etc.

I then found out (by accident - was p*ssed off at the IT7-2 so took a break) that if you power off for a good 15 - 30 minutes that itll work on your first boot. Restart and its gone again. Very odd. I cant really complain though as this version of powerstrip was out well before any of the r9700 samples shipped. Theyve done a good job to get it to work at all.

PiLsY.

Charles Wirth
09-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Make sure you are using the latest Pstrip and ATI control panel loaded.

Creative
09-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Uh Oh cos I have never used Powerstrip cos I hate the damn program. Now it looks like Im going to have to learn it...:(

What is this scan thing you guys are talking about? Is that like when you set the OC and then click OK and it does a little test to see if it handles it like RivaTuner does?

Did you end up doing group orders Pilsy?

Cheers
:)