PDA

View Full Version : xbox 720 ~ rumors?

IFMU
04-06-2013, 09:07 AM
did a basic search and didn't see anything, so thought i'd post/ask...
what sort of rumors have you seen/heard about the latest xbox to be coming out?
a couple i've read were
1st ~ must be online at all times to play - 3 minutes? is the max offline time you can have.
2nd ~ you will no longer be playing from the disc. you'll buy and (more or less) install the game to the console
3rd ~ they will not be able to be truly 'powered off'. they'll just go into a standby mode

any others? thoughts on those?

my opinion
1st, will stop me from buying, plain and simple.
2nd, eh, sucks because if you end up buying a game and not liking it, to bad, it's yours, no chance for re-sale. other hand, hey, at least you won't have to worry about you're disc getting fubar'd and not being able to play
3rd, not a major issue presuming the amount of electricity it uses in standby mode is extremely miniscule

zanzabar
04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
on the hardware i am assuming it will be basically the same as the ps4 with a jaguar and 7790 equivalent gpu.

NEOAethyr
04-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Well, the idea is to get the consumer thinking it's using grid computing when it's not.
I think the ps4 is a better choice.
Not many people will buy the 720 if it won't let play your games offline or in the future.
Let alone letting a buddy borrow your game, or rent a game, never gonna happen with this console.

I don't see microsoft being around much longer anyways.
Just a hunch I got.

OmegaMerc
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I think the sole purpose design of download only games is to completely put 3rd pty dsitros out of bizz, ie gamestop (or whatever international equivalent is). That way EVERYONE is forced to pay "new game" price for the software at all times.

Always on is a complete buzz kill, I've gone through D3 and SC5 'always on' garbage and its been dreadful. I don't get why passive systems like steam don't garner more praise from devs.

Another rumor is the actual pricing option. They said $500 on the 'standard' model, and $300 for a subsidized model, I think they're probably going to chock adverts before a game starts and when you 'quit' a game in order to entice you to go to their store and buy DLC or something that ties into the games themselves.

Anyways, at best with an xbx720/ps4 you get a mediocre PC w/nothing new/exciting/game changing. I'm skipping these gens as I rarely use them and at most is to stream or watch a blu-ray.

This gen has a "zero-tv" as a term, I think we will include "zero-upgrade" as a 2nd term to describe that consumers are self content with the old product, therefore not wanting to buy new products.

zanzabar
04-09-2013, 08:40 PM
it can be online only and still do used games. so long as there is no key involved there will be no problem.

kromosto
04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
it can be online only and still do used games. so long as there is no key involved there will be no problem.

yes it can be online and still do used games but the big reason they make it online is to prevent used games.

zanzabar
04-09-2013, 09:06 PM
yes it can be online and still do used games but the big reason they make it online is to prevent used games.

the big reason to make it online only is to make piracy a pain, to sell online content, and to get people to be involved in the community. you can still need a disk to play, so that would keep used games and rentals.

kromosto
04-09-2013, 09:11 PM
the big reason to make it online only is to make piracy a pain, to sell online content, and to get people to be involved in the community. you can still need a disk to play, so that would keep used games and rentals.

i don't think so. piracy is a concern too but look ps3 it solved it without being online. although they cracked it, solution is not feasible enough. community thing, you can do whatever you want but person may not be involved in community. Like me have lots of games in steam but never ever go in community.

and if i am not wrong every game cd will have a unique key. when you install it, it will register itself with your machine and no other machine will be able to install it again. this is the biggest reason they make it online only.

Andrea deluxe
04-09-2013, 09:54 PM
http://vr-zone.com/articles/microsoft-apologizes-for-creative-developer-s-twitter-comments/19577.html

IFMU
06-11-2013, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA