PDA

View Full Version : New waterloop and case: any improvements or suggestions?

Bernd
04-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Hi Guy's

I am planning a new WC mod based on the Caselabs STH10.

It has been awhile since i worked with passive WC equipment so i need some advice/suggestions
(now i use a custom build waterchiller to cool my rig but it's quite noisy and i want something else)

First i give you guy's an idea of what i'm about to cool down and what i had in mind to keep it that way

CPU: i7 3970 TDP: 150Watt
GPU: 2x 680GTX TDP: 2x 195Watt = 390Watt (maybe 3)
Mobo: Rampage 4 TDP: ?

Total: TDP: 540Watt

Watercooling equipment:

i am planning to use 1 loop since i want to use mainly aqua computer equipment to monitor and that's to expensive for 2 separate loops.

Rads: 2x Alphacool Monsta Quad-rad 480 Push only
Pump: 1x Aqua Computer D5 Pump Mechnics with adaptor + 1x Laing D5-MCP655 12V with top. (Don't know PSI for those pumps)
Fans: 8x Gentle Typhoon 1850RMP or Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-4 Bionic fan 2400rpm

Questions that i have are.

1. Do i have enough cooling capacity to keep those temps @ delta?
(think so but i want to be sure)
keep in mind that if i want to upgrade to Triple SLI, i can without having temp. trouble and a i7 3970 isn't build to run on stock

2. Are there better fans to do the job in combination with the monsta's?
(no +2500Rpm fans since they are to noisy!)
Planning to run the fans mainly around 1700 - 2000RPM's. So they need to handle the monsta's and heat on around those Rpm's

3. Since i can't use push-pull on the monsta's
(i am planning to put both in the lower compartment and there isn't enough room)
is it better to use UT60's with push-pull compared to push only on the monsta's?

4. I am planning this loop, any remarks on this?

Reservoir => Aqua Comp D5 Pump => CPU => MOBO => GPU1 => GPU2 => Laing D5 Pump => Monsta1 => Monsta2 => Back to Res.
(using the AQ D5 for the blocks and the Laing D5 for rads and pushing back to res.)

5. What's the best place in this loop to put the aqua computer flow meter?

Any suggestions are welcome off course!

Thx in advance.

Makymaco
04-05-2013, 04:43 PM
(i am planning to put both in the lower compartment and there isn't enough room)

If i were you i put one rad in the upper compartment and the other one in the lower compartment.
If you put the two in one compartment, the warm air from one rad may be used to cool the other one => less efficient
and it is bothersome to organize tubing, cables, ... if you do not have sufficient place.

4. I am planning this loop, any remarks on this?
Reservoir => Aqua Comp D5 Pump => CPU => MOBO => GPU1 => GPU2 => Laing D5 Pump => Monsta1 => Monsta2 => Back to Res.

(using the AQ D5 for the blocks and the Laing D5 for rads and pushing back to res.)

I thought the place of the pumps don't mater (same flow / same pressure) ?

http://www.overclockers.com/watercooling-myths-exposed/

5. What's the best place in this loop to put the aqua computer flow meter?

Same answer

Conumdrum
04-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Two 480's will cool alll that. Your Dt will be under 5C probably. Pumps, location don't matter as long as the primary bleeding pump is after a res. You don't use the second pump till the loop is pretty full and most air is out.For ease of plumbing and location, most put them close in series.

You'll love the 1850 GT fans. The Silly Monstas you want should be fine because they have loww FPI. You don't need the Monstas, that is a waste of money, go with a thinner better rad. But it's your stuff.

Bernd
04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Thx for the reply's :)

@ Makymaco

If i were you i put one rad in the upper compartment and the other one in the lower compartment.
If you put the two in one compartment, the warm air from one rad may be used to cool the other one => less efficient
and it is bothersome to organize tubing, cables, ... if you do not have sufficient place.

For performance it's indeed the best idea to put one on top and one in the lower compartment.
But i fear that i will not have enough room left to do some decent cable management since my Silverstone 1500Watt will also
be placed in the upper compartment.

Also i will use a single loop due the fact i use Aqua Computer material a dual loop would be to expensive (check this thread (http://www.overclock.net/t/1378717/making-some-plan-for-new-wc-mod-based-on-caselabs-sth10/10#post_19698406) where i calculated the difference)
So it would be easier to put both rads in the lower compartment since i can put them both in serial close to each other.
If it would be a dual loop it would indeed be easier to put one up and one down.

But i was thinking to put both rads in a pull config only and let a fan in front suck out the hot air that will be stuck in the middle.
It will be sandwiching them but there would be enough space if i use UT60's instead of monsta's. (explained also in This thread (http://www.overclock.net/t/1378717/making-some-plan-for-new-wc-mod-based-on-caselabs-sth10/10#post_19698406))

What do you think?

@ Conumdrum

You don't need the Monstas, that is a waste of money, go with a thinner better rad. But it's your stuff.

Witch one would you use instead?
Are the UT60's a better option? since i am planning to use those instead of the monsta's

Pumps, location don't matter as long as the primary bleeding pump is after a res. You don't use the second pump till the loop is pretty full and most air is out.For ease of plumbing and location, most put them close in series.

Thx for that!

Church
04-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Sandwiching rads is bad (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=220874). With same amount of reasonably silent fans two sandwiched rads perform even worse then one. They cool more then one once you up fan speed (and noise), but most users turn to LC for silence.
As one of alternatives, how about if both rads are placed in lower compartment, put them at 90deg angle? (one on floor, another on one side)

Makymaco
04-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I use a tj 07 with a 480 and a psu in the bottom, the sth 10 is much larger : 286 mm vs 220 mm.

Can't you mount the 480 and the psu side by side ?

You can hide the cables behind the motherboard.

For the rads make your own opinion : http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/04/14/360-radiator-shootout-summary/
I like Martin reviews, they have methodology.

The ut60 seems to be a good rad but the build quality may be not top notch (same brand as monsta). I don't think there is much difference beetween a ut60 and a monsta (0,5? at best).

If you need more cooling, use more rads, it will be far more effective than using a monsta.

Pay also attention to the flow, you have an all serial loop (ut 60 have a good flow).

Can't you use 140 rads in this case ? Do a 560 fits ?

Keep the mobo out of the loop if it is not a necessity (most of the time it is not but i don't know your chipset).

Bernd
04-09-2013, 10:01 AM
@ Church

Sandwiching rads is bad. With same amount of reasonably silent fans two sandwiched rads perform even worse then one.
They cool more then one once you up fan speed (and noise), but most users turn to LC for silence.
As one of alternatives, how about if both rads are placed in lower compartment, put them at 90deg angle? (one on floor, another on one side)

Thx for the link to that thread!

And i can't put them in a 90 degree angle since the lower compartment is solid at the bottom.
And mounting on top isn't an option since there will be a lightbox placed there.

But when i looked at the results of the sandwich test, i had an idea that gives me the possibility to put both rads in the lower compartment without having a negative impact on each other.
(at least i think it doesn't)

If i mount the push fans in the middle, sucking air into the radiators from the middle and mount the pull fans on the outside. (check drawing)
Both air streams will not interfere with each other and since there isn't any hardware in the lower compartment causing heat.
The air temperature from inside the lower compartment (middle) will be the same as the airtemp from outside.
(also in the front i can mount a fan to push air between both rads)

The only thing that might be a problem is that both push fans are standing to close to each other. (Push pull = 26mm / push only = 76mm)
Causing some kind of under pressure or vortex so that they don't have enough air to push trough the rads. (or make more noise)
But i doubt that, i will test this first.

(Upper View)

Pull : Pull : Pull : Pull
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
RAD 1
Push : Push : Push : Push

MIDDLE (Push pull = 26mm / push only = 76mm wide)

Push : Push : Push : Push
RAD 2
Pull : Pull : Pull : Pull

What do you guy's think of this config and will the push fans standing so close to each other cause problems?

@ Makymaco

1. Can't you mount the 480 and the psu side by side ?
2. Can't you use 140 rads in this case ? Do a 560 fits ?
3. Keep the mobo out of the loop if it is not a necessity (most of the time it is not but i don't know your chipset).

1. It would work, but that gives me probably not enough room to do some decent cable management, and putting one on top
would make my single loop a lot more complicated. (it would be the logical choice if i would go for a double loop but i'm not)
Also i will need to use more tubing and 90 degree fittings witch cause a lot of restriction.

2. Yes it fits, and indeed why wouldn't i use 560, i always used 480 i didn't realized it supports 560 rads so thx for that :)

3. I know it's not necessary but it would be for the looks but it causes a lot of restriction, so maybe i won't be using a mobo block, i will see.

Thx for all reply's :)

Makymaco
04-09-2013, 11:51 AM
I think you think too hard, go simple and efficient.

Use the space available in your case, you will have easier access too each of your components.