PDA

View Full Version : Sig size.... really?

IFMU
04-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Ok, this used to irritate me a bit but in my opinion it is seriously getting plain out of hand.
sitting here viewing a thread on a 19" screen, i should be able to see 2 or more posts, presuming posts are fair to small in size. (not much being said...) but when I can barely see 1 post and have to scroll through what should be nearly 3 or 4 posts just to get past someones signature, it is getting a bit pathetic.
why the bloody hell does someone have to put every systems specs in their sig at this size? i mean really ffs...

shrink your fraking sigs.

i get it, you're proud you have 4 or more systems and each one is overclocked, water cooled and running M$ Windows 3.1 to M$ Windows 12 dual booting half a dozen versions of *nix. but ffs, does it have to take up a 60" screen tv just to see your entire signature?

:shakes:

:::steps off soap box and puts on flame retardant suit:::

Buckeye
04-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Say thanks, but I am sure the users I have requested to change their sigs didn't say that back to me :)

I agree tho on having every single CPU, GPU etc they have ever used in their sigs is just over the top and not needed.
I think I need to get rid of my old out dated one also LOL

dengyong
04-03-2013, 07:00 PM
@ IFMU... I thought you were an admin here.

IFMU
04-03-2013, 07:09 PM
I understand having their rigs in their sigs, it doesnt even bother me when they have all of them, i just don't understand why they have to be in a HUGE A** F****** FONT....

I mean shrink it ffs!!! there is a rule for sig size limit... trust me I know, I put it there and used it many many times when pointing out or editing someones massive sig.
i'm starting to wonder if it somehow is the online version of trying to make up for the lack of something "else"..... :shakes:

@dengyong, yes i was. i stepped down about a year/year.5 ago. just doesnt seem right to me that someone whos only computer is a near antique laptop, nor the fact i felt i was doing too much of anything on really contributing to the community.
:shrug:

hollywood
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
That's why when I came back I did [size=1] for mine. Wanted it to be thin. Of course... Why is the forum adding like 20 blank lines under each post?

IFMU
04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
i think that is due to the avatar and all the person/posters info on the left side... name, avatar, join date, location, posts, thanks and thanked # times in # posts....

if im understanding your post right

Sparky
04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Used to be on the old vbulletin that it didn't put that blank space in, and the avatar on the left could be next to part of the sig, but ever since one of the upgrades a while back that changed.

I try to keep my sig under control.

Linchpin
04-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Ever since having to give up my 24" screen for a 15.6" 1366x768 laptop due to constant travel I've really started to appreciate people that have sigs that are nice and short. Once my finger starts to hurt from having to scroll non stop I kinda don't give a sh*t what your specs are :p:

M.Beier
04-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Is mine stretching the envelope a bit too much?

PS: The long linebreaks in bottom of each post can be fixed with ease... Simply SPAN the cells with avatar/location etc.

Kallenator
04-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Many forums have a limit to how many lines of text you are able to put in your sig. 5 - lines or one 100px tall image should be max to be honest. Large sigs are annoying.

How this forum displays Avatar and related information versus posted text is also really inefficient. My post in this thread + M.Beier's takes up almost 1200p in height. For what is effectively 7 lines of text. Doesn't get much worse than that. But, hey you wont feel claustrophobic about it! ^^

Ket
04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Theres a character limit for signatures that EVERYBODY is entitled to use. Stop whining because people are using it. A far more practical solution would be to disable sigs in your options, or the character limit for sigs could be reduced. Either way, my god man, you are complaining about signatures. Get outside more :D

IFMU
04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
oh yea, so the character limit is something that works extremely well when someone has a sig that takes up an entire screen?
yea, that character limit comes in real handy.
then of course, there is the actual rule/guideline that limits size that is not being enforced.....
which apparently as announcements they've "expired" and haven't been renewed/updated or I would link to the actual thread/announcement and quote the actual rule itself.
and if you paid attention, it wasn't the character limit it's the SIZE of the sig
maybe take a second and read what i actually said.
:down:

Movieman
04-05-2013, 05:39 PM
:rofl:^^^^....:rofl::up:

IFMU
04-05-2013, 05:54 PM
jus' sayin'

95blackz26
04-06-2013, 04:16 AM
^^^^^^ needs bigger font.. lol

i have always tried to keep my stuff small. i used to have it typed out with both rigs side by side. actually looking at the stuff i have now there are a couple that can go from mine.

Ket
04-06-2013, 07:04 AM
oh yea, so the character limit is something that works extremely well when someone has a sig that takes up an entire screen?
yea, that character limit comes in real handy.
then of course, there is the actual rule/guideline that limits size that is not being enforced.....
which apparently as announcements they've "expired" and haven't been renewed/updated or I would link to the actual thread/announcement and quote the actual rule itself.
and if you paid attention, it wasn't the character limit it's the SIZE of the sig
maybe take a second and read what i actually said.
:down:

I read this on a 15.6" laptop screen and guess what? I don't have any issues. My main point stands, get outside more man :p:

Kallenator
04-06-2013, 07:28 AM
I read this on a 24" desktop, also fine there except that it takes up the whole fu(c)king screen! Which the thread tries to point out is annoying and unnecessary.

XS is really far behind in this regard and should do something about it, just look at Hardforum, overclock.net, guru3d or Anand's forum. They are pretty much all more compact and displays post more efficiently.

kromosto
04-06-2013, 07:43 AM
is my sig big? using it for a long time but never thought it can annoy somebody...

EDIT: I think my avatar is the part that makes my posts bigger but i think they are acceptable....

IFMU
04-06-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't recall the size listed in the rules originally. think it was like 150x500 or something. the width was never really an issue, height on the other hand is in my opinion. while there is "real estate" being used that doesn't have to be with the way the avatars and info on the poster could be a bit more compacted to fit with the post and sig, it just is. but sigs have always gotten on my nerves when their size gets to be too much. even with bigger screens being more common, some of us broke azz people simply cannot afford a 20"+ size screen.
since some decide that their sig has to be so huge i (we) end up having to scroll through massive sigs. which when reading through a long thread and several people with large sigs that post multiple times, it gets to be pathetic.
i'm honestly starting to believe they're making up for lack of size in "other" areas.
:shakes:
and kromosto, you've had that sig for ages and in my opinion, it is not even a slight issue. hell, i think mine might even be a bit bigger than yours. o_0

[XC] Oj101
04-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Is mine too big? I've had it at this size for years :shrug:

Kallenator
04-06-2013, 04:14 PM
It's a bit of a circus yes =)

[XC] Oj101
04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lndswgG1Np1qch7pn.jpg

Kallenator
04-07-2013, 01:37 AM
First hearty chuckle today, thanks Oj ^^

HuffPCair
04-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Dude winter is almost over here in the midwest. You will make it I promise.

IFMU
04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Now that the rules/guidelines are back up, thought I'd point them out...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/announcement.php?f=120&a=55

23. Signatures & Sig images
Signatures should have a maximum letter size of 4. The entire signature including all orb links, system description and pictures shall be no larger than 250Hx550L pixels. Only legal links in a signature will be links directly related to XtremeSystems, Xtreme D2OL, Xtreme Folding@Home, any affiliated website or organization, non-profit sites to help members such as Heatware or links to mods. Links to your home site, e-bay, or any other site are not allowed. Exceptions to this rule may be granted at the sole descretion of XS Administrators for a reasonable request. (See rule # 4)
(Failure to comply to the Policies can and will result in the complete removal of the offending signature as well as a minimum (1 point) infraction.)

I underlined my main point.....

Sparky
04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Oj101;5181674']Is mine too big? I've had it at this size for years :shrug:

You could at least update it every once in a while. You've had that supercomputer Nov 1-8 there since the first one we had :p:

Judaeus Apella
04-17-2013, 11:01 PM
I've seen people do this... I think here and on other forums, I know I've seen it else where. It always makes me think of those "attention whore" demotivational and lol pics.

CrazyNutz
04-18-2013, 02:10 AM
@IFMU: 19" monitor, I can see why you're frustrated.

[XC] Oj101
04-18-2013, 03:36 AM
You could at least update it every once in a while. You've had that supercomputer Nov 1-8 there since the first one we had :p:

Well I'm sure there will be another one this November :rofl:

kromosto
04-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Oj101;5183671']Well I'm sure there will be another one this November :rofl: :rofl:

bluestang
04-18-2013, 09:13 AM
@IFMU: 19" monitor, I can see why you're frustrated.

They even still make those?!

IFMU
04-18-2013, 09:48 AM
yes they do and they are still very common

Splave
04-18-2013, 10:04 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/600347_381616028592586_820145139_n.jpg

but regardless, screw paypal indeed!

Sparky
04-18-2013, 05:33 PM
They even still make those?!

The #1 most common we sell at work.

AMDforME
04-18-2013, 06:43 PM
People who use excessively large sigs have a mental issue that could use some professional help.

Sparky
04-18-2013, 06:54 PM
People who use excessively large sigs have a mental issue that could use some professional help.

I don't think mine is excessively large, but I do need some mental help :nuts:

Particle
04-20-2013, 07:09 AM
If the forum would let me use a smaller font, I would.

Nirvash
04-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't think mine is excessively large, but I do need some mental help :nuts:
I think we all do.

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Now if 30" 2560x1600 monitors were cheap, sigs wouldn't matter too much. That monster font is the only thing I can read w/o blowing up the size in chrome. :p:

At least you can get 1440p 27" monitors in the sub $400 range now.

All jokes aside, I don't really get the point of HUGE font. I don't believe mine is pushing it, although ppl might not like my unrelated sig pic. :shrugs:

[XC] Oj101
04-21-2013, 10:32 AM
I don't like your sig, at all. Simply because I'm not a DBZ fan. That doesn't mean I have a problem with it being there, though :p:

Stewie007
04-21-2013, 01:10 PM
I find that people generally don't really care what I have or what I am tweaking.... The only way that comes out is when you're discussing it with other people.

The reality of sigs is that they are mostly self fulfilling, as we put things on their that either make us feel good/proud or things that we may find amusing somehow. Most people barely notice them unless they are massive and can't help but be noticed; which in many folks find annoying because it is generally unnecessary.

In reality the only reason a sig-less forum would annoy anyone is because of the lack of ability to put something on OUR OWN posts rather than the fact that we cannot see what someone else has placed there. We would all be perfectly happy if our signatures were singularly enjoyed along with no others.

So for that reason alone its enough to say "X amount of lines and pictures no bigger than x by 100 pixels. If someone doesn't like it, they can be reminded that nobody else will really notice or care. ;):D

[XC] Oj101
04-21-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't agree. I find sigs handy for a few reasons:

1. It's nice to see some decent overclocks, especially if they're on arb hardware
2. It's handy to know someone's specs when helping with a problem
3. There can be some funny stuff in sigs
4. I identify people by their sigs and avatars more easily than their usernames :p:

I'm one of those that reads through a lot of sigs :p:

demonkevy666
04-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Oj101;5184277']I don't agree. I find sigs handy for a few reasons:

:|

looks at own sig.

Stewie007
04-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Oj101;5184277']I don't agree. I find sigs handy for a few reasons:

1. It's nice to see some decent overclocks, especially if they're on arb hardware
2. It's handy to know someone's specs when helping with a problem
4. I identify people by their sigs and avatars more easily than their usernames :p:

I didn't say anything about avatars....... :-p

hehehe

Anyways, my point was they're largely just stamps we place on our posts that many times are barely noticed. I did NOT say that I don't like signatures.... ehehe

[XC] Oj101
04-21-2013, 03:57 PM
I said sigs and avatars, not just avatars. If you tell me the guy with Rule 1A, Rule 2, Rule 2A, etc in his sig I know you exactly who you mean, if you tell me his username is Particle I know the name but can't place him :(

Kallenator
04-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Synthetickiller;5184145']Now if 30" 2560x1600 monitors were cheap, sigs wouldn't matter too much. That monster font is the only thing I can read w/o blowing up the size in chrome. :p:

At least you can get 1440p 27" monitors in the sub $400 range now.

All jokes aside, I don't really get the point of HUGE font. I don't believe mine is pushing it, although ppl might not like my unrelated sig pic. :shrugs:

1600p does not really matter as much you would think, I have read this forum on a 1200p monitor for a long time. 400 extra pixels will aid, but marginally.
I also recognize people by their avatars and sigs, but it's split something like 80/20. Where Avatar is the majorly active "remembering-component". ^^

Sparky
04-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Yup, I hate it when people change their avatars as that totally throws me. Especially if someone else then later uses the same avatar as someone else did a while ago :confused2

I know I'm not the only one like that so I rarely change my avatar once I've settled on one, and it is an avatar that you won't find an exact replica of anywhere else :D

Stewie007
04-22-2013, 08:21 AM
I'll admit I change avatars now and then.... hehe

[XC] Oj101
04-22-2013, 10:11 AM
And I'll admit that I have no freaking clue who you are :rofl:

Kallenator
04-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I'll admit that I think he is a cat.

vohu manah
04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Back when I was a teenager, a glitter .gif-addict myspace user, I joined a forum named jokaroo or something... where some of the members had 4-5 .gif images at this size in their sigs:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9854/29855364.jpg

Sigs and avatars are just amusement for me, I don't really care about what systems people have ...if it's cute or funny, I will notice it. If it is too big, ugly or annoying, I will try to ignore it lol

kuroikenshi
04-25-2013, 09:13 PM
I prefer to stick with script...