PDA

View Full Version : Best backing up program - Help please

slim142
03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi

All I need is a program that I tell "backup this folder: c:/program files/user/games"

And so that it creates a "games" folder in the root of my portable hard drive and backs it up.

And whenever I make a change to the "games" folder in my computer, the program will automatically see the change and apply it to the portable HDD as well.

Any program that is SIMPLE that can do this for me? Specially the root part, I just want to double click the portable HDD letter in my computer (M for example) and see the GAMES folder in the root, not inside 20 folders.

Buckeye
03-19-2013, 08:13 PM
I believe Arconis can do this... yes it can.

You simply right click on the folder and drop down to True Image, Backup to, Local folder which you can set anywhere.
It can be scheduled and set to incremental which only backs up changes.

I just tested this and it creates the folder and file back up just fine. It is a Arconis file so in order to get files back you just double click the file and it brings it up so you can copy files out of it.

slim142
03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
I believe Arconis can do this... yes it can.

You simply right click on the folder and drop down to True Image, Backup to, Local folder which you can set anywhere.
It can be scheduled and set to incremental which only backs up changes.

I just tested this and it creates the folder and file back up just fine. It is a Arconis file so in order to get files back you just double click the file and it brings it up so you can copy files out of it.

So you mean, if I backup a folder, it really is a folder INSIDE an Acronis file?

So everytime I want to open the folders/files, the computer I connect the HDD to needs to have Acronis installed?

MadMike261
03-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Sounds more like you need a sync script/program or something along those lines.

Most back-up programs create their own folder structure to help with keeping multiple versions of files and incremental back-ups.
Personally use OOPS! Backup, it is a pay once program and I am very happy with it.
It gives you multiple scheduling options, versions, incremental back-ups, back-up to network folders and e-mail notifications.

Also why wouldn't you just install directly to your external drive if you want your files to be this mobile?
And use back-up when it is connected to your main rig?

Buckeye
03-20-2013, 05:58 AM
So you mean, if I backup a folder, it really is a folder INSIDE an Acronis file?

So everytime I want to open the folders/files, the computer I connect the HDD to needs to have Acronis installed?

Yes that seems to be how its doing it. It will create a new file each time it does a incremental backup that has only the changes to the orgional folder.

poseur04
04-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Here something use full [URL="http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/"] ;)

slim142
04-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Gonna give it a try and ill come back. Thanks!

Razmatazz
04-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Here is perhaps another option. Check out: http://www.genie9.com/home/Genie_Backup_Manager_Home/Overview.aspx

This program has a pretty slick mirror backup option. This will make certain the backup folder is exactly the same as the original without any file versioning. None of the incremental/differential stuff. With the mirror option, it is basically, what you see is what you get. I have used this type of backup previously without any difficulties. For certain applications, it may prove to be quite helpful.

Blackstare
04-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Try Cobian, I use it for incremental and differential backups, can work over local storage or FTP.

http://www.cobiansoft.com/index.htm