PDA

View Full Version : Backup HDD Suggestion

Razmatazz
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Looking to acquire a new backup drive. I have an SSD for OS and applications and a 500 GB Samsung F3 for my main data. I have a similar HDD for backup. It is now beginning to act up where it suddenly uninitialized itself. I ended up reformatting it and it was working fine for about a week. Now today, a backup failed and when I checked the drive in the computer window, it shows the drive as empty, however, when I double click to open up the drive, it shows data in the drive. The backup program, however, does not recognize the backup to it and the backup fails. This is now the second major error in the past week with this drive, so I think I will just replace the drive. I am looking at the 1 TB WD Black. Is this a good drive for my purpose? Any other suggestion with regards to a backup drive?

Regards,
-Mark

zanzabar
03-19-2013, 06:05 PM
i think that the WD red would be better suited for your needs. they are 5400 rpm so they run cooler, they work great in nas or usb/esata enclosures and are quite a bit cheaper but still built to the same standards as a black.

Razmatazz
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. Right now, I just have all of my drives in the same system hooked up via sata. I would assume from your suggestion that speed is not all that important then with regard to a backup drive? Are the reds more reliable than the the blacks? Given that my system right now is open on a DIY tech bench type setup, heat shouldn't be a problem. Don't know much about the reds but I will look into it. Are they always spinning or just when data is being written or read?

zanzabar
03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
i have not seen a red fail but they are only about a year old. the throughput is also about the same as a black but the seek time is a bit low.

you should also have your backup outside the tower and limit the amount of time it is powered up.

i like this enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182179

alternativesurf
03-20-2013, 09:50 AM
My .02 cents

My WD Black died (unrepairable bad sectors) within 9 months.
Warranty replaced it, however ever since I've been hesitant to put anything on that drive

Razmatazz
03-20-2013, 02:59 PM
you should also have your backup outside the tower and limit the amount of time it is powered up.

Again, thank you for the input.

How would one limit the amount of time it is powered up? I would not want to plug it in each time I would be doing a backup which right now is a daily incremental backup.