PDA

View Full Version : How to top off

zeroibis
03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I realized that people top off their systems different so I want to see what people prefer and why.

So how do you top off and why?

Conumdrum
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Umm. Okay. You mean top off after running for 3 days? Or filling the loop? Or many other things. To many variables.

zeroibis
03-09-2013, 12:50 AM
I am referring to when you are topping off your loop for the long term seal, unless your just leaving your loop open lol. I do not see how many things there are to be confused about. I think that I see what your getting at in if I am referring to when your still bleeding the system or not. When I say top off I am assuming this is the last coolant your going to be placing in this system until you swap something out or flush your loop.

defect9
03-09-2013, 01:42 AM
I just use a funnel. simple.

zeroibis
03-09-2013, 03:01 AM
I just use a funnel. simple.

I think most everyone is doing that but the question here is more of a when?

bds71
03-09-2013, 09:45 AM
explanation: after you fill/bleed the system - how do you close/seal the loop? do you leave the pump running while you close/seal it, or do you shut off the pump? do you leave an air gap, or fill the res completely? here are my assumptions:

sealing up the loop with the pump running will probably create a small vacuum on the loop. in this case, i would recommend leaving an air gap. if you do not leave an air gap and decide to seal while the pump is running: when you shut the system off, if you open the reservoire it WILL overflow. the slight vacuum the loop is under will release when you unseal it. the pressure difference will cause the res to overflow (if you filled it to the top). so either leave an air gap (if you fill while pumping) or fill completely with the pump off. note: the air gap will not hurt anything - unless you turn it upside down while running......

stren
03-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I've done it many different ways and never really noticed a difference. These days I leave an air gap and I use big reservoirs so it's not really an issue.

Conumdrum
03-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Okay. That said, if the res is low I add water. That's it. Off/on whatever. I never fill to the very top. But there are so many diff res and setup variations There is too many variables.

So the survey is moot, won't answer any questions.

paulbagz
03-09-2013, 03:44 PM
I use a 50ml syringe :)

-PB

zeroibis
03-10-2013, 09:16 AM
explanation: after you fill/bleed the system - how do you close/seal the loop? do you leave the pump running while you close/seal it, or do you shut off the pump? do you leave an air gap, or fill the res completely? here are my assumptions:

sealing up the loop with the pump running will probably create a small vacuum on the loop. in this case, i would recommend leaving an air gap. if you do not leave an air gap and decide to seal while the pump is running: when you shut the system off, if you open the reservoire it WILL overflow. the slight vacuum the loop is under will release when you unseal it. the pressure difference will cause the res to overflow (if you filled it to the top). so either leave an air gap (if you fill while pumping) or fill completely with the pump off. note: the air gap will not hurt anything - unless you turn it upside down while running......

You could get around this if you fill with a QD, thus allowing you to have no air and no overflow. (well you will have some coolant in the tube left over but no spills)

zeroibis
03-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Okay. That said, if the res is low I add water. That's it. Off/on whatever. I never fill to the very top. But there are so many diff res and setup variations There is too many variables.

So the survey is moot, won't answer any questions.

From the sound of it your saying that you always leave some air in the only questions left is if your running the pump when adding the coolant and if your running the pump when you seal the loop.