PDA

View Full Version : This Could Be The 120mm 25mm Thick Fan With The Best Static Pressure/Noise Ratio

01-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Source : http://www.corsair.com/hydro-series-h100-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

It's CF12S25SH12A which can be found on Corsair H80 and H100. This model of fan generates maximum of 7.7mm-H2O at 39dBA of noise level :eek2:. I can't seem to find any 120mm fan that has the same spec. as this, not even close. Any 120mm fan that can generate the same level of static pressure would mostly create more than 50dBA of noise level.

This is not only comparable to 38mm thick fans, but in fact has a way better static pressure/noise ratio than most of the 38mm thick fans.

Hopefully there will be a test review done on this fan in comparison to the GT AP15.

King4x4
01-12-2013, 12:41 AM
I won't trust any numbers put on any website when it comes for fan specifications... saw so many ones that suck when they go on real life.

Martinm210
01-12-2013, 05:19 AM
The big problems with fan specs are:
-dbA numbers are with the fan in a suspended open air condition
-dbA number are mathematically derived and often not at any one standard
-Pressure specs are at 0 flow rate
-Air Flow specs are at 0 restriction

Real Life in watercooling:
-The fan is mounted to a radiator with rigid screws.
-The radiator acts likes a speakerbox and significantly increases noise
-The radiator adds restriction so the fan operates somewhere between the two.

Result:
-Fan specs have little to no use
-RPM is about the only useful spec
-Some fans do better per RPM but typically they are within +-200rpm to produce the same air flow under restriction, 400rpm max.
-Noise per CFM and noise quality you absolutely can not judge from specs at ALL.

I wouldn't trust noise specs any farther than I can throw them, completely a waste of ink.

Church
01-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Martinm210: hmm, from official specs except max rpms also fan wattage / minimum starting current might be handy. But yeah, all specs covering noise and performance most probably are damn lies / dirty manipulation with test methodics to bring product in best light except maybe for some industrial fans with no exposure on consumer market.

Martinm210
01-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Good point, electrical specs are sometimes good but many times higher than actual. I have seen some fans rated for much higher current draw than they consume in testing. Almost as is they make one sticker for the high speed model and use it across the family.

The noise number may be good if you run you fans suspended by a 10ft string hanging off the ceiling for room circulation purposes.

That's what those screw holes are for...string!!

I was mistaken, always thought we were supposed to put screws through them and mount them to something!!!hehe

95blackz26
01-12-2013, 07:57 AM
That's what those screw holes are for...string!!

i knew i was doing something wrong all these years..

does anyone know how they test the fans to get these specs.

CryptiK
01-12-2013, 08:35 AM
i knew i was doing something wrong all these years..

does anyone know how they test the fans to get these specs.

Post 3:

The big problems with fan specs are:
-dbA numbers are with the fan in a suspended open air condition
-dbA number are mathematically derived and often not at any one standard
-Pressure specs are at 0 flow rate
-Air Flow specs are at 0 restriction

Real Life in watercooling:
-The fan is mounted to a radiator with rigid screws.
-The radiator acts likes a speakerbox and significantly increases noise
-The radiator adds restriction so the fan operates somewhere between the two.

Result:
-Fan specs have little to no use
-RPM is about the only useful spec
-Some fans do better per RPM but typically they are within +-200rpm to produce the same air flow under restriction, 400rpm max.
-Noise per CFM and noise quality you absolutely can not judge from specs at ALL.

I wouldn't trust noise specs any farther than I can throw them, completely a waste of ink.

Church
01-12-2013, 09:01 AM
95blackz26: imho it's guesswork from our side though, as most of vendors don't publish test methodics or testbed description how they really test (if test at all, not just putting some numbers slightly better then those for competing products), and only testing by points Martin described can somehow show how to get such unbelievably good specs.
It seems to me something like MTBF for hard disks. Manufacturer can put whatever numbers he wishes, 99% of consumers have no way to prove or disaprove that spec as simply don't have hundreds/thousands of different disks made by different vendors to get such statistics (well, except maybe google .. and when it published their paper on that - it broke several myths).

CrazyNutz
01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Little off topic but I have a interesting method for selecting fans that have the best pressure. I have a fan fight :)

Take two fans set them at the desired RPM (both need to run at the same RPM for a fair fight) bolt them together (blowing towards one another).

I select the one that overpowers the other. i.e. It will either stop the weaker one, or drop its RPM quite a bit.

paulbagz
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
That's....horrific! :eek:

:D

-PB

95blackz26
01-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Little off topic but I have a interesting method for selecting fans that have the best pressure. I have a fan fight :)

Take two fans set them at the desired RPM (both need to run at the same RPM for a fair fight) bolt them together (blowing towards one another).

I select the one that overpowers the other. i.e. It will either stop the weaker one, or drop its RPM quite a bit.
first rule about fan fight club..never talk about fan fight club..lol

i usually just read around the forums and gather everyone's opinions about fans. what ever doesn't sound like a jet plane and works good with a fan controller..got started with yate loon's years ago, probably gonna pick some gentle typhoons up soon. still got a tornado from years ago, it saw very little use and even at 5v it was still a powerfull thing.

CrazyNutz
01-13-2013, 09:44 AM
That's....horrific! :eek:

first rule about fan fight club..never talk about fan fight club..lol

I have no shame boys ;)

95blackz26
01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
I have no shame boys ;)

nothing bad about that now is there.

Gimmpy224
01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
I just use deltas. I know they will push massive amounts of air and I can always rely on them to be loud as hell.

Done and done :yepp: