PDA

View Full Version : Should I enable Hot Plug in BIOS for my M4?

therat
12-11-2012, 04:38 AM
It used to be the case that Hot Plug should be enabled in BIOS for all SSDs. When I upgraded my system to a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard the BIOS didn't have an option for hot plug. I've now flashed to the new UEFI BIOS and the hot plug option is back (just like in my old Asus BIOS).

I have an M4 and 4 other SATA HDDs connected to the intel controller. My question is should Hot Plug be enabled or disabled and is that for all drives?

cheers

Highendtoys
12-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Are you going to hot plug your drives?

All it means is you can plug in or pull out your drive while the system is on. I hot plug all of the time but I'm a HDD/SSD reviewer. Most people don't and shouldn't unless they use a drive sleds with backplanes and all that good stuff.

[XC] Oj101
12-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Why's that? I do it several times a day :confused:

Although to be honest I hot plug anything up to and including PCI cards :D

therat
12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. Firstly, I doubt I will hot plug my drives but it is possible. When I bought my first SSD an OCZ Vertex 2 I had an Asus P67 Sabertooth motherboard. At the time OCZ recommended that hot plug be enabled in all P67 motherboards. I now see OCZ recommend the exact opposite as far as the vertex 3 at least, goes, and that hot plug be disabled especially when upgrading firmware.

Is there any detriment to having my BIOS hot plug option set one way or the other eg enabled or disabled, such as performance or reliability? Should I follow OCZ and disable hot plug if i upgrade the firmware on my M4?

Hope someone can help.

cheers