PDA

View Full Version : Debian

Fisk
02-04-2004, 08:36 AM
anyone have any experience of Debian OS ?? :p:

Smizack
02-04-2004, 06:25 PM
A bit. Just a basic linux distro. If you're looking to get into linux, I'd suggest something a little easier to install like Red Hat.

sjohnson
02-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Debian is definitely not a beginner's distribution.

If you want to run at the cutting edge of Linux kernels, debian makes it easy to get current (daily!) development kernels onto your system. Not that easy means quick, though.

Twisted
02-04-2004, 07:15 PM
or Mandrake
Also there is knoppix which is a live cd which doest touch your hdd

Johnny Knoxvill
02-05-2004, 04:58 PM
no experience with Debian, you need some serious linux knowledge to get that thing working. Maybe i'll have a play with it in the summer

Dud3!
02-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Debian is cool!

faruquehabib
02-07-2004, 09:26 PM
i am currently building a linux rig. i will be running mandrake, as i hear it is a lil more user friendly for begginners like myself (never used linux before). also, i hear nvidia has better drivers for linux, so i bought a damn mx440 8x to throw in it :D i cant wait to learn linux. hell, my university offers a class that teaches red hat. i'm gonna take that next semester, too. i am also very curious as to what it takes to run a server based off linux and will be researching that as well.

o_neill_dude
03-07-2004, 07:05 AM
hi,

i've got a debian webserver @ home (http://kennywill.servebeer.com). Like said, it's not for newbies allthough I didn't had a lot of experience be4 I started with it. If you want something 2 work, you'll get it to work ;)

Anyhow, I suggest redhat/suse or mandrake to start with : easy 2 use (graphical interface) & also stable as a horsy :)

If you want to test a linux distro without having to take risks, just 2 practice, you can download knoppix. It's a linux distro who boots & works completely from cdrom, you work on the ram of your pc , no hd needed at all :)

Grtz

`schr0et
03-14-2004, 08:36 AM
I dunno I'm a linux newb and I compiled and installed Gentoo 2k4 A64 ver. by myself in 18 hours :up:

It wasn't easy by any means, but at the same time it wasn't impossible. The instructions were VERY well written, and in those 18 hours I learned more about Linux OS than I did in 7+ years of using M$ lol/.

o_neill_dude
03-14-2004, 08:38 AM
jeah linux isn't that hard with a well formed manual/guide..

Just trial and error until you got a working rig, in most of the cases you get this after a few hours (unless you compile gentoo urself, 18hours, pretty quick m8 :p You should try this on a P1 rig, it's awsome :D)

Grtz

sjohnson
03-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Installing Linux isn't the big trick. Using it is. That's where a LUG will be a huge benefit, for debian or any other Linux distribution.

Smizack
03-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
Installing Linux isn't the big trick. Using it is. That's where a LUG will be a huge benefit, for debian or any other Linux distribution.

True.

But, that's gotta be the funniest thing about linux nerdz. They abreviate EVERYTHING!:stick: :D

sjohnson
03-15-2004, 07:43 PM
rofl

iirc

imo

:rolleyes:

:D

Farbror
03-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Fisk how did it go i heard that u tried before how did it go ?
Heard u had some problems (hahahaha)

Fisk is Re/\ped by the Farbror!!!

Fisk
03-21-2004, 03:29 PM
haha farbror rtfm or something m8 :p: