PDA

View Full Version : Who is crunching using Windows H8

OldChap
10-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Because of the price it makes sense but who uses Win h8???

shoota
10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Does that mean Windows 8 Home Premium?

OldChap
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Any flavor of win 8 (just thought that everybody likes it so much it ought to be called hate (h8)) ;)

Bun-Bun
10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
haha good one.

I seriously can't think of a single reason to put any of my rigs on Windows 8

THX152
10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
My 3820 is on Win 8 - no issues.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Kingcarcas
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Is it just me or is every version of windows hated at first?

shoota
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I got a free copy of Win 8 server so i may use that at some point. I hear it's really efficient. who knows

Evantaur
10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Is it just me or is every version of windows hated at first?

i liked win7

hated win 95, win 98 xp, win2000, ME, vista and 8...3.11 was ok

nanoprobe
10-25-2012, 05:03 PM
haha good one.

I seriously can't think of a single reason to put any of my rigs on Windows 8
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

kjeldoran
10-25-2012, 06:50 PM
I tried the preview and I did not care for it. I see its potential for tablets, but for a desktop it doesn't offer anything over Win 7 as far as I can tell. So, if Win8 comes with some awesome performance enhancements I will probably stay with 7 until Windows 9 (or maybe Microsoft will pull an Apple and call it just Windows...like the new iPad).

The new Windows! Opening your Windows to provide some refreshing air!

retro77
10-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Ok, just upgraded to Windows 8 and BOINC was not happy. Computational errors on my whole lot of WUs and same for new ones it DL'd. I pulled the E-Brake and said suspend and no new tasks. I uninstalled BOINC and installed from a fresh DL from the Download BOINC client software (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php) page and everything seems to be smooth now.

So my advice is to halt WUs and re-install BOINC before trying to crunch after and upgrade to Windows 8 :up:

D_A
10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
I didn't mind Win 3.11, laughed out loud at Win 95, quit liked Windows 98se (first PC I owned), hated ME, liked 2k, didn't really like but saw XP as reasonable, despised Vista <spits on ground>, don't mind 7 too bad but cannot abide 8. Trying to put a tablet/phone OS on the desktop is insulting to users, developers and techs alike. The next version should be called "Windows SAT" (Sorry About That) and come with copies of Ballmer's dismissal papers.

Bun-Bun
10-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Pretty well agree with you completely D_A. Except XP. I loved XP. You could get it down to such a small foot print and booting so fast. Vista and Win 7 were already an insult to me (especially when I try to go to Microsoft sponsored forums to voice my opinion and I get banned). And now Win 8? Cmon... I really hope it doesn't adopt widespread usage or at the very least they come out with a new version directed at power users.

How I haven't boycotted Microsoft entirely yet is beyond me.

Evantaur
10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
How I haven't boycotted Microsoft entirely yet is beyond me.

maybe because of Direct X 11 :P

D_A
10-27-2012, 07:05 PM
maybe because of Direct X 11 :P

I haven't boycotted MS "entirely" ... I have a Windows XP install in a virtual machine that I use for those fake virus scam calls (set up to capture any network data they send to the machine to mess with it so I can trace their command site) and I have win2k installed on my Pentium Pro system because I was too lazy to install Debian Woody on it (8 CDs, the whole repository is included). If I can get hold of a dual socket board for the P Pro chips I might revisit that though. Aside from those exceptions Windows is not welcome on my network.
As for Direct X ... my Playstation handles my gaming needs.

WFO
10-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I installed the preview without doing any research whatsoever. Once on the desktop, I looked exactly like the guy in this video. After 10 minutes of accomplishing nothing, I reinstalled Win 7. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

I had no idea you needed to use the "Windows key." In 14 years of using computers, I've never used that key. :rolleyes: If I install it again it will be with the classic shell or some other start menu alternative. Win 7 does everything I could want or need. :yepp:

werdwerdus
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
I installed the preview without doing any research whatsoever. Once on the desktop, I looked exactly like the guy in this video. After 10 minutes of accomplishing nothing, I reinstalled Win 7. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

I had no idea you needed to use the "Windows key." In 14 years of using computers, I've never used that key. :rolleyes: If I install it again it will be with the classic shell or some other start menu alternative. Win 7 does everything I could want or need. :yepp:

I guess you skipped the OOBE like the guy in the video. Doesn't it have any instructions? I would assume so... (I haven't tried Win8 since the preview)

joshd
10-28-2012, 02:08 PM
From what I've seen, Win8 benches faster than Win7 in some benchmarks, definitely worth giving BOINC a go with it in case its faster?

Vinas
10-31-2012, 03:42 AM
Is it just me or is every version of windows hated at first?Every other version is hated... forever. 80% of business are planning to skip the win h8 upgrade cycle.

retro77
10-31-2012, 06:07 AM
I think I'm going back to Win7 this weekend. No Crossfire support for DirectX 10 cards? WTF ATI?:exclaim:

Can't start up more than one RDP session? Ugh.

Skype doesn't let you know someone is calling. Also I get the same notification over and over when I'm in the desktop from chats in Skype that I've already gotten. Also those notifications don't tell me who they are from.

That's my problems with 8 right now.

edit: also every new version of Windows that makes a major change is hated. You should have heard the gripes when going from Win 3.11 to Win95. No one could find anything. Heard that before? I think its how we humans are. We hate anything new until it grows on us.

I think that if people actually use a new OS with an open mind to change, we'd be a lot better off. But then again no one is going to blog that the new OS coming out of Redmond is pretty cool. It'd have to come from Cupertino in order to get that kind of review.

Buckeye
10-31-2012, 07:01 AM
Agreed, out of box experience is not good imo.

And having to use 3rd party apps to get Win 8 like I want is bad, take note MS what us desktop users want.

Get Stardocks Start8 for the start button.
Get 8Gadget Pack to get your gadgets back if you like them.

Two simple things and my machine is running pretty much like how my Win 7 setup was. I pretty much never use Metro and all I have to do on startup is login and I am on the desktop just like Win 7.

Over all tho I really don't see a need for desktop users to upgrade. But having done so and using those two tweaks I am pretty happy with Win 8 so far. I have not run into any app that's give me problems, tho some have, everything is working just fine for me. My 690gtx drivers are running very good so Nvidia is on the ball at least.

Bun-Bun
11-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Just got Win 8 for $15

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/38524-Windows-8-14-99-Upgrade-Code-is-Now-available/page33?p=658188&viewfull=1#post658188

Do I dare install it... lol

flopper
11-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Best OS I used.
xtreme users afraid of windows 8?
Its faster, better and more integration with social media.

Truly enjoy it.

Bun-Bun
11-11-2012, 12:16 AM
integration with social media I hate. World could use less integration as a matter of fact.

Removal of the start menu and forcing people to use metro on a desktop is what irks me. Not everyone uses their computer for media consumption. There are many of us who actually use our computers to be productive.

nanoprobe
11-11-2012, 12:48 AM
The next version should be called "Windows SAT" (Sorry About That) and come with copies of Ballmer's dismissal papers.
Classic.:rofl:

As for Win8? Tried the preview, beta, whatever. Completely borked BOINC, (guess that has been fixed now) was not impressed and found no compelling reason to upgrade from 7.

retro77
11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Update: I'm still on 8. I found a beta driver for my setup. I'm liking it. I'm looking for a way to easy get to my profile items without pinning them to the taskbar.

kjeldoran
11-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Best OS I used.
xtreme users afraid of windows 8?
Its faster, better and more integration with social media.

Truly enjoy it.

I doubt that. I just do not see the need to upgrade to Windows 8 for my desktop. When I downloaded the beta for Windows 7, I was hooked on 7. In fact, I used it as my primary OS until it was released to retail. I downloaded Windows 8 beta as well, and I reformatted to put 7 back on my desktop. It just did not sit well with me. I could see me to transitioning to Windows 8 if: it was free, I decided to go for the overall windows 8 platform by getting a W8 phone/tablet, or there was a large performance increase in the games I play or in WCG crunching. To be honest, I don't see those 3 things coming about for me. Free is pretty rare for Windows, I am not seeing a W8 phone/tablet that I like, and I haven't heard of any large performance increases in gaming/crunching. I'll probably upgrade when Windows 9 comes out.

integration with social media I hate. World could use less integration as a matter of fact.

Removal of the start menu and forcing people to use metro on a desktop is what irks me. Not everyone uses their computer for media consumption. There are many of us who actually use our computers to be productive.

I kind of agree with the social media aspect on a personal level, but from a business perspective, it is the next step. A lot of people use social media and having an integrated application/widget is a step forward. For a general consumer, it is kind of like a smartphone. On my S2, I'm logged into facebook and I get a notification if I receive a PM (not posts, but messages). Just like I receive a notification on tapatalk for XS. Would I want this for a desktop? Probably not. If I'm using my desktop I'm sitting down for at least 15 minutes and that is ample time to get my stuff done since it is easy to multitask on a desktop/laptop. My phone on the other hand cannot easily multitask, so a background notification makes sense.

D_A
11-11-2012, 10:39 PM
windows 8 is designed from the ground up to limit you choice of software vendor to only MS approved channels and applications as well as reporting back to them when and what you install on your system. Microsoft are trying to replicate the Apple iStore monopoly. The user's freedom, privacy and choice are totally irrelevant to them and Windows 8 is the most blatant demonstration of their underhanded tactics ever visited on consumers.
Remember folks, if you bought it, it should be doing what YOU want not making you dance to the beat of THEIR drums.

kjeldoran
11-11-2012, 11:15 PM
windows 8 is designed from the ground up to limit you choice of software vendor to only MS approved channels and applications as well as reporting back to them when and what you install on your system. Microsoft are trying to replicate the Apple iStore monopoly. The user's freedom, privacy and choice are totally irrelevant to them and Windows 8 is the most blatant demonstration of their underhanded tactics ever visited on consumers.
Remember folks, if you bought it, it should be doing what YOU want not making you dance to the beat of THEIR drums.

I agree. I might not even be on windows anymore in the next year. Steam is testing a Linux client and if wcg gets gpu crunching on Linux I am switching. I see no need to have windows at that point.

To be honest, I think this change is because consumers are too compliant. Hell, even I am compliant on some things.

Sparky
11-11-2012, 11:46 PM

I don't see any limitations of any software from any source on Windows 8 (as long as it is coded for Windows of course), and it is hard for Windows to report anything of value to Microsoft when you don't even have to give it your name let alone anything else that could identify you.

I do not see Linux being adopted by the masses anytime soon as its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. The lack of standardization and the billion and one flavors and variations and levels of compatibility isn't going to make it something that Average Joe can handle. If there was a predominant linux distro that could claim to be the "linux standard" then it would have a much better chance. But even then it would take a long time to get businesses to move over since the vast majority of software is written for Windows.

D_A
11-12-2012, 12:50 AM
The Metro interface api is tightly controlled. "Just anybody" cannot build applications for it like you can for the classic desktop, you have to be part of the ecosystem. Your name and personal details are a part of the registration, which is also tightly controlled. The whole point of the entire exercise is to control, as tightly as possible, who can wrote what applications as well as making sure they know when unauthorised applications are being installed. Even the email application in Windows 8 works against you and tries to control where all your personal communications go by dropping support for POP email. The default settings are designed to encourage you to use Windows Live email, which gives them open access to ALL your personal details, emails and any other connected communications such as MSN and Skype. It's cloud data and according to the US government it is NOT your property, no matter who's name is on the account. From the moment you install Windows 8 they start mining you for data for their own purposes and their own profits at your expense.
As for the "majority of applications" you forgot to say "desktop". The desktop is the only computing arena where Microsoft dominates and Windows 8 aims to reduce the desktop to a virtual interface for their tightly controlled cloud services, utterly incapable of doing anything locally and completely dependent on the MS App Store where you can temporarily rent access to their authorised products. In everything else, from servers to high performance computing (super computers) to embedded and mobile products, Linux dominates with little to no competition from Microsoft, Apple or anyone else.

kjeldoran
11-12-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't see any limitations of any software from any source on Windows 8 (as long as it is coded for Windows of course), and it is hard for Windows to report anything of value to Microsoft when you don't even have to give it your name let alone anything else that could identify you.

I do not see Linux being adopted by the masses anytime soon as its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. The lack of standardization and the billion and one flavors and variations and levels of compatibility isn't going to make it something that Average Joe can handle. If there was a predominant linux distro that could claim to be the "linux standard" then it would have a much better chance. But even then it would take a long time to get businesses to move over since the vast majority of software is written for Windows.

Linux definitely will not become the standard. Windows will just be accepted because most users.do not care. I kind of foresee two options for power users in the future. MS will release a version of windows for power users or they will move to Linux. I'm thinking Linux will be the choice. I'm not a Linux fanboy by any means. The only reason I haven't transitioned in the past was due to games.

The Metro interface api is tightly controlled. "Just anybody" cannot build applications for it like you can for the classic desktop, you have to be part of the ecosystem. Your name and personal details are a part of the registration, which is also tightly controlled. The whole point of the entire exercise is to control, as tightly as possible, who can wrote what applications as well as making sure they know when unauthorised applications are being installed. Even the email application in Windows 8 works against you and tries to control where all your personal communications go by dropping support for POP email. The default settings are designed to encourage you to use Windows Live email, which gives them open access to ALL your personal details, emails and any other connected communications such as MSN and Skype. It's cloud data and according to the US government it is NOT your property, no matter who's name is on the account. From the moment you install Windows 8 they start mining you for data for their own purposes and their own profits at your expense.
As for the "majority of applications" you forgot to say "desktop". The desktop is the only computing arena where Microsoft dominates and Windows 8 aims to reduce the desktop to a virtual interface for their tightly controlled cloud services, utterly incapable of doing anything locally and completely dependent on the MS App Store where you can temporarily rent access to their authorised products. In everything else, from servers to high performance computing (super computers) to embedded and mobile products, Linux dominates with little to no competition from Microsoft, Apple or anyone else.

This can be seen with the surface RT. I believe the only apps that can run in desktop mode (except utilities) are IE and office. I believe developers are not allowed to have apps run in desktop mode. A glimpse into windows future?

No idea about the mining of data if you install W8, but I'm not surprised.

Sparky
11-12-2012, 06:29 AM

Programs don't have to run in that Metro UI and you don't have to register and give your name at all. You CAN if you want (as it does offer more functionality for some things) but you don't have to. I should know, I installed it and have been playing with it and also set it up on someone's new laptop recently. I gave nothing to MS at all except the product key for activation ;) You aren't forced into using any cloud stuff. If you were I'd be the first to scream about it since I naturally distrust the cloud for any personal stuff whatsoever (I only use it for some non-personal files I want to have access to from anywhere).

I agree it is designed to encourage you to use certain things but I don't know of a lot of people who are really going to give up their current email address. I think it would be nice if they made the built in Mail program configurable with any email address like everything else out there.

retro77
11-12-2012, 07:04 AM
I opted for a local login instead of using a live account to sign in. I read the W8 EULA and it says it will release any information you share with M$/Live with 3rd parties. So I went local. I don't need every picure on my system uploaded to the cloud and then I loose the rights to them.

Bun-Bun
11-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Leaning more and more towards not installing it... lol

D_A
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I agree it is designed to encourage you to use certain things but I don't know of a lot of people who are really going to give up their current email address. I think it would be nice if they made the built in Mail program configurable with any email address like everything else out there.

That's part of the problem. Unless you dig up an external mail reader you CAN'T use POP mail (common for ISP mail) as they've dropped support for the protocol.

Anyone that wants to own their computer instead of it owning them would do well to stay with Win 7.

Sparky
11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Windows hasn't included a mail client since Vista. Windows 7 didn't have one. Yeah, you could get that "Live Mail" program which I loathe that "live essentials" garbage and would never touch it heh. I don't really know anyone who uses it actually. Most everyone I know either uses webmail, Thunderbird, or Outlook.

Kingcarcas
11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
If DirectX 11.1 ever matters, how many years do you think that would take? Lol right now i'm only playing Portal 2 and Black Mesa, i'm not a big PC Gamer who has to have the latest and greatest.

bluestang
11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Windows hasn't included a mail client since Vista. Windows 7 didn't have one. Yeah, you could get that "Live Mail" program which I loathe that "live essentials" garbage and would never touch it heh. I don't really know anyone who uses it actually. Most everyone I know either uses webmail, Thunderbird, or Outlook.

I use Windows Mail program from Vista on my Win 7 machines. Takes a little to do, but worth it.

Bun-Bun
11-12-2012, 10:45 PM
OK so I installed Win 8.

Can't get Boinc to work.

Yeah...

D_A
11-12-2012, 10:49 PM
From here: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,33527

The BOINC client version 6.x.x won't install on Win 8, you have to use BOINC version 7 and above. If that's not the problem I have no idea.

(crunching more important than hating Windows 8)

Bun-Bun
11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
7.0.28 is what I installed. It installs but when it goes to start up the manager can't connect and then shortly after error box pops up saying boinc client has closed unexpectantly.

Also my USB3 harddrive is transferring at half the speed it used to.

And something else in my computer is making a god awful noise every few minutes or so (possibly not related to win 8).

D_A
11-12-2012, 11:17 PM
That last one sounds like a fan that needs some love/replacing, unless it's a high pitched squeal in which case SHUT IT OFF!! the power regulators are about to blow.

Bun-Bun
11-13-2012, 07:28 AM
I think it might be my one external hard drive. I powered it off this morning and the system boots faster (since yesterday its been hanging up on post longer than normal) and the sound has dissapeared. Time for a new drive. Or maybe see of WD will actually honor their warranty.

I got BOINC running. Required scrapping the data folder entirely.

Bun-Bun
11-13-2012, 11:31 AM
And now the system keeps locking up. (After weeks of GPU crunching on Win 7 without a issue)

Come to it with a black screen and no response. Event viewer simply says shutdown was unexpected.

grrr...

retro77
11-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Ok, just upgraded to Windows 8 and BOINC was not happy. Computational errors on my whole lot of WUs and same for new ones it DL'd. I pulled the E-Brake and said suspend and no new tasks. I uninstalled BOINC and installed from a fresh DL from the Download BOINC client software (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php) page and everything seems to be smooth now.

So my advice is to halt WUs and re-install BOINC before trying to crunch after and upgrade to Windows 8 :up:

And now the system keeps locking up. (After weeks of GPU crunching on Win 7 without a issue)

Come to it with a black screen and no response. Event viewer simply says shutdown was unexpected.

grrr...

This one got buried but ya I had to reinstall BOINC in order to get it working again.

Bun-Bun
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah I had reinstalled it. But I kept the data folder. I let my cache run out before I formatted so no lost WU's.

But I don't know why my system keeps locking up with no error. Just black screen. Win 7 was fine. Win 8 not so much.

And my USB3 performance is less with win 8.

EDIT:

Fixed the USB problem by installing the Windows 7 USB 3 drivers. USB hdd back up to 80-90mb/s transfers.

retro77
11-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Reinstall your video drivers too or find the Windows 8 version of either CCC or what nVidia uses.

jeanguy2
11-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Bun-Bun,

You may possibly be experiencing this reported Window 8 event: "The Windows 8 Lockscreen times out after just 1 minute and the screens go black" See these 2 links for more details and possible fixes.

1- http://superuser.com/questions/465363/the-windows-8-lockscreen-times-out-after-just-1-minute-and-the-screens-go-black?rq=1

2- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-desktop/timeout-lock-screen-goes-blank-within-a-minute/1def31c9-18b0-4194-9528-abe1b0e60574

Good luck,
Jean-Guy

Bun-Bun
11-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestion jean, but my computer doesn't lock by itself nor do I lock it. It becomes completely unresponsive and doesn't respond to network requests.

Event viewer shows there was a unexpected shutdown but that's it.

I used driver sweeper to clean out nvidia and ati drivers that shipped with Win 8 and reinstalled the AMD drivers. Thinking maybe it's a similar issue to what I had when Win 7 first came out and that the drivers that came with it screwed everything up.

Bun-Bun
11-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Ok so the problem is Win 8 has a new BSOD mechanism that is useless. After re-enabling virtual memory and looking into the dmp file I got this

0x0000001e ntkrnlmp.exe KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I'll try the beta ATI drivers maybe. no idea what else this could be. I noticed some RAID resets in event viewer. Maybe that sound I am hearing is my other HDD dieing (one died awhile ago) and it's causing windows to choke up.

EDIT: Beta drivers cause graphic driver reset/timeouts and I can't get a single WU to complete without computation errors or hanging.

Windows update seems to think it has a newer ATI driver... why not lets try windows update version. The worst that can happen is I run driver sweeper again.

Bun-Bun
11-18-2012, 04:28 PM
What does everyone mean by the price? I found a sweet upgrade deal for $15 but other than that all the OEM copies I look up are $150 like previous versions.

One good thing I can say about Win 8 is UI lag is substantially less than Win 7 especially while crunching.

nanoprobe
11-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Ok so the problem is Win 8 has a new BSOD mechanism that is useless. After re-enabling virtual memory and looking into the dmp file I got this

0x0000001e ntkrnlmp.exe KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I'll try the beta ATI drivers maybe. no idea what else this could be. I noticed some RAID resets in event viewer. Maybe that sound I am hearing is my other HDD dieing (one died awhile ago) and it's causing windows to choke up.

EDIT: Beta drivers cause graphic driver reset/timeouts and I can't get a single WU to complete without computation errors or hanging.

Windows update seems to think it has a newer ATI driver... why not lets try windows update version. The worst that can happen is I run driver sweeper again.
Looks like Win8 is not quite ready for prime time GPU crunching. See if you can get WhoCrashed (http://www.resplendence.com/downloads) to install and run on Win8. Might give you a better view of what's happening. Right clicking on the install exe and installing as administrator is the way I would try. (if it Win8 will let you do that)

Yeroon
11-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I've been on win8 for couple weeks now, only bsod's i've gotten are the result of oc testing. Folding in vm, folding in windows, running boinc in windows, it all works, stable. Does science 24/7. I have not used the beta amd drivers as I was under the impression it only helped the 7 series cards, and my 7660d is only partially 7 series.

werdwerdus
11-18-2012, 11:36 PM
should be able to find it for $40-$60, can't remember OEM or retail but you need to look closer