PDA

View Full Version : Alienware SSD upgrade advice...

Darxide
10-25-2012, 12:49 AM
I've just pulled the trigger on a new Alienware M17x, I specced it up a bit, better GPU, more RAM etc, but Dell's prices for SSD's are completly stupid, so I just went for the cheapest HDD option (500Gb mech) with the plan to change it myself. (It has 2 bays, so I can keep the 500Gb drive as a data disk).

So as it's a new system, whats the best way to install the SSD? Should I clone the HDD onto the new SSD? Or do a fresh install?
I'm not sure yet what media Dell provide with it, don't even know if I'll get backup DVD's or a windows disc or whatever.
It's gonna be a month before I get it anyway, delivery estimate is end of November.

In the mean time, I could go ahead and order the SSD. Thinking of a 256Gb Crucial M4, unless someone can suggest somthing better?

Thanks.

Darxide
10-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Quick update, I've decided to go with a larger SSD, need some advice.
I can get a 512Gb Crucial M4 for £299, or another option is the 480Gb Corsair Force GT, which has a faster write speed, for £349.
Is the extra write speed worth the extra £50 and slighly lower space? Have the Sandforce issues been largly sorted?
Or feel free to suggest someting else.
Thanks.

Ening
10-31-2012, 03:43 AM
Crucials are more trustworthy overall (meaning the Marvell controller), and if you arent going to move lots of stuff on your SSD, i would go with Crucial while choosing between these two. However, it's just the Marvell reputation talking in me. SF 2281 controller is hardly bad at all (Intel uses it as well).
And you shouldn't get less space on Corsair: 512 GB is actually 480 GB in real life, so i guess they are just fair with their numbers.
It all depends on whether you need the write speed or not. I don't see many ways to actually USE that speed, so instead you can save that money and get a time-proven M4. However, i see that you already have SSD's in your system, so i'd say you WILL be able to see the higher write speed advantage when copying files.
I would pick Crucial M4 just so that the name matches the other 2 Crucials M4. Yeah, im that kind of person.

Darxide
10-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Yes I'm tempted to go Crucial just becasue of the bad rep for Sandforce. Anyone know how the new Indilinx controllers on the OCZ Vertex 4 are?
I had a bad experience before with an old 1st gen Agility that crapped out super quickly, but maybe they are improved now?
I also noticed that OCZ give a 5 year warranty compaired to Crucials 3 year.

No I'm pretty sure there is a difference in capacity. It's to do with the design of the controller / flash config. They will both format less than stated.

Zaxx
10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Best bet for speed and durability at 512GB, imo, is the Samsung 830 (or soon to launch 840 Pro). The 480GB SandForce drives are actually a little slower than the 240s. One helluva a lappy you got there for sure.

Highendtoys
10-31-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm in the same boat as you are. My Lenovo W530 just arrived two weeks ago. The only difference is I review SSDs for a living.

Do a fresh install. Your OS will see your SSD and make a few changes. You'll also get rid of any crapware and know exactly what's on your computer. I'm going to itemize the rest and just respond to some of the things in this thread.

1. I've had more Marvell based drives die on me that SandForce. I also receive more SF drives than anything else, they outnumber Marvell 10 to 1.
2. 480GB SandForce drives take a performance hit.
3. The Crucial m4 512 is a really good drive but the Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB is better.

That is unless you want maximum battery life. In MobileMark 2012 1.5 the Crucial lasts 20-30 minutes longer in the Office Productivity test.

My Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB review should hit TweakTown this week and several 512GB and 480GB drives are compared.

Darxide
11-01-2012, 08:48 AM
I see. That's surprising. I've always heard that Marvell based drives were more reliable.
I'm also hearing that the new Indilinx Everest 2 used in the OCZ Vertex 4 is actually a rebranded Marvell chip, but with OCZ developed firmware.
Battery life is of zero importance to me. I bought the Alienware for max performance, it'll be used 99% for gaming, and always on mains.
I want the best possible performance booting and loading games, so write speed isn't terribly important either.
Looking forward to that review, might check out the Neutrons.

Highendtoys
11-01-2012, 10:14 PM
People that sell Marvell based drives like to say that:)

tbone8ty
11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I'd reccomend samsung 830 I feel they are the most reliable and included software is a nice addition.

also check out the new 840 pro best iops

Highendtoys
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I have a 128GB 830 here, it's a slow POS. If that's the only SSD you've ever owned then I can see where you might think its pretty fast.

Also, you can't really look at peak IOPS because they come at queue depths you can't hit on a desktop under normal use.