PDA

View Full Version : Best rad suitable for my needs..

chris4521
02-03-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm looking to support an 80w tec on my GPU and my processor at ~2v (athlon xp). the GPU will be cooled with an mcw50-t and the CPU with an mcw5000.

i was thinking the swiftech dual-fan rad, because its big and i can get it for cheap.

would this suffice?
im not looking to have two delta screamers on there, something acceptable to the ears--2x 70CFM 120MM's.

as for pump, hydor l30 or via aqua 1300.

any other suggestions?

AngryAlpaca
02-03-2004, 08:05 PM
It may be big, but it's crap. It won't suffice. Well, it will, but you'd regret getting it. Get a heater core. It's smaller, and MUCH better, and probably cheaper... Well, since you live in Canada I think the 676 is cheaper, for $29 CAD at vibecomputers.com :eek: But I've heard that it's crap. Mag 3 is my suggestion. High heat, high flow, high pressure, low price.

Reflex1
02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
a BIX2 will suffice ...if u too normally WC (not pelt ur GPU) then the swiftech will suffice... but TEC's put a lot of heat into ur water which needs to go

chris4521
02-04-2004, 04:53 PM
a bix2 is too big for me, my case is in my sig..
only reason i wanted the swiftech is cuz it's dirt cheap..
so a heatercore?
i was thinking take out the HD racks at the bottom of the front of the case and put it there.
would a heatercore handle 80w pelt and possibly a 226w in the future?

mdzcpa
02-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Although the 676 is not the best rad on the market today, it certainly performs well enough for your application. In addtion, it is long and wide, but thin, so it is easy to mount on the back or top of the case. It looks decent too....compared to most heater cores that look like AZZ. If it's fairly inexpensive, I'd jump on it.

FYI, I've tried a number of rads over the years and have found the 676 to be a great medium to high duty rad. I've cooled a loop containing a 226w and 80w TEC (P4C 3.0 to 4ghz and 9800XT). CPU temps were -8 idle and 15c loaded. Of course, if you go with two TECs, you'll need higher CFM 120mm fans which won't be so quiet. I ran my high speed 120s through a rheobus to control noise and performance.

For powering just the 80w TEC, heck, a pair of real low 120mm fans would do fine. I'm cooling a 80w TEC on my XT right now inside my Mach I with a 676. The fans are silent and the water temps only a few degrees above ambient.

The 676 is not meant for extreme duty, but it does well at the mid to high range.

Just another point of view from someone who has actually used the 676 in multiple configurations:)