PDA

View Full Version : Samsung 830 and nForce chipset questions

slim142
08-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Hi

I just bought my first SSD and before I install it, I would like to get the procedure steps on this as I would like my SSD to last me as long as possible and perform the best while in use.

I have an nvidia nForce 790i (ASUS Striker II Extreme). I will perform a clean install of Windows 7 x64.

First thing I heard was to NOT install nforce storage drivers as they do NOT support TRIM. Is this correct?
Second, does windows automatically activate TRIM?
Third, im not familiar with utilities, which ones should I use for my SSD? Is the included Magician software good enough?

Anything else I should know before I proceed?

Thanks

davidkozat
08-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Quote: The only controllers I know of that currently support passing of the TRIM command in AHCI or RAID mode are Intel controllers. I suggest, if you want TRIM, run the Microsoft IDE driver.

slim142
08-14-2012, 04:00 AM
Ok so I guess for nForce drivers, only the ethernet one and SMBUS.

What about utilities for maintenance?

EniGmA1987
08-14-2012, 04:10 AM
Wouldnt IDE mode be far more of a performance hit than loss of TRIM? Samsung drives have very strong garbage collection routines and TRIM isnt even needed on them.

canthearu
08-14-2012, 04:22 AM
you should be able to use AHCI mode as long as the microsoft drivers work.

That said, the nforce chipset is not ideal for SSDs .... many reported problems. Things like SATA6 drives being downspeed to SATA1.5 and stuff.

davidkozat
08-14-2012, 04:52 AM
I am only reporting what I have found... by all means, I would rather lose TRIM, that using it on IDE... and I've always had problems with nForce and SATA3 SSDs, had to lower mine to operate to SATA2, otherwise my mobo would lower it to SATA 1.5 like canthearu said...

slim142
08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I am only reporting what I have found... by all means, I would rather lose TRIM, that using it on IDE... and I've always had problems with nForce and SATA3 SSDs, had to lower mine to operate to SATA2, otherwise my mobo would lower it to SATA 1.5 like canthearu said...

Well, no nForce chipset supports SATA 6Gbs so the best it will work is at SATA 3Gbs regardless.

Also, eVGA forums report that nForce chipsets do not support AHCI, only IDE mode.

I think Im ready for this. Will let you know guys how it goes.