PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Monitor cleaning solutions? Which are the best?

OCX600RR
08-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I've got a Dell Ultrasharp 23" IPS and haven't cleaned it since I got it (I know, shame on me). What do you guys do to clean your precious monitors? I definitely don't want to end up scratching the screen. Would buying a normal LCD monitor cleaning kit work or are there better ways to go about it?

Zaxx
08-11-2012, 01:50 PM
I've seen advice that says never use cleaning products...said instead use a damp paper towel and wipe dry with a fresh one. Also have seen posts that say that glass cleaner WITHOUT ammonia is ok...those w/o ammonia tend to use vinegar instead. Personally I use Glass Plus which is ammonia free but doesn't use vinegar either...and I only clean the screen when it's noticeably dirty, no 'white glove test'..lol. I have a 'regular' panel Asus monitor and I have no idea if things are different for IPS panels. To be safe I'd use the damp towel method until I knew for sure.

OCX600RR
08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Well I'm glad you said that thanks! I imagine using a microfiber cloth would be best for lowest chances of scratching up the monitor? I've got a bunch of em.

zanzabar
08-11-2012, 09:28 PM
slightly damp microfiber is the best. never use a screen cleaner as they are ether water, or will strip the coating from the screen.

OCX600RR
08-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I will get some distilled water tonight and clean it for the first time. It's such a great monitor and I can't believe I've let it get this dirty. When it's off, you can just see the entire screen is covered in dust. It'll look brand new tonight hoperfully!

WangChung
08-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Slightly damp washcloth. That's all.

TheNexxuvas
10-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Slightly damp washcloth. That's all.

I go one further, as even a washcloth can trap smaller particles that can scratch.

Take an unscented baby wipe, completely washed out so it is nothing but water(ring out several times), wipe half the screen and wash out again.

I have a polyester/polyamide cloth, think the same kind of cloth they give you with prescription glasses, only much much larger...I use this to dry each half area after wiping with the clean baby wipe.

Comes out crystal clear, no streaks, and niether cloth will harm the monitor with chemicals, or abrasive surfaces. Niether will accidentally pick up wood chips or particles (unlike the washcloth, which most people sit in a wooden closet where wood dust particles can hide and harm/scratch).