PDA

View Full Version : PCI-e lanes dead?

Chainlink
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
So I just replaced my two aging 4890s with 7970s and installed everything on a new banchetto test bench. I have a gb 990fx ud5, and now the second x16 pci-e slot is not working, neither is the x8 slot (they are the same lanes technically). But, the x4 slot works fine, windows detects both cards. I pulled the second 7970 out and tested it in another PC, it's good. Put one of the 4890s that I JUST pulled out of the x16 slot and it fails to be detected. The slots are clean. I tried 3 sets of drivers (12.3, 12.6, 12.7beta) and the chipset drivers, no luck. Tried resetting CMOS, changing bios settings, going back to stock, nothing changes. Any ideas?

Now, if the mobo is borked, what do you think about leaving the second gpu in the x4 slot? I don't really want to buy another 990fx mobo, I'd rather wait until the next line comes out.

andressergio
08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
So I just replaced my two aging 4890s with 7970s and installed everything on a new banchetto test bench. I have a gb 990fx ud5, and now the second x16 pci-e slot is not working, neither is the x8 slot (they are the same lanes technically). But, the x4 slot works fine, windows detects both cards. I pulled the second 7970 out and tested it in another PC, it's good. Put one of the 4890s that I JUST pulled out of the x16 slot and it fails to be detected. The slots are clean. I tried 3 sets of drivers (12.3, 12.6, 12.7beta) and the chipset drivers, no luck. Tried resetting CMOS, changing bios settings, going back to stock, nothing changes. Any ideas?

Now, if the mobo is borked, what do you think about leaving the second gpu in the x4 slot? I don't really want to buy another 990fx mobo, I'd rather wait until the next line comes out.

did you inspect the socket for dust, rest of paste, hair or bent pins ???

EniGmA1987
08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
or look in some of the advanced area and you will most likely find a config options for how the PCI-E slots are configured. If you dont see it, I think Gigabyte hides advanced options with ctrl+f1 or something like that.

BeepBeep2
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
If fiddling with BIOS settings fails, you know these boards have a warranty, right?