PDA

View Full Version : A loop 4 years on

ryan92084
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Not every loop has to end in disaster. Although that doesn't mean it has to look pretty either .

Coolant: Acme distilled with the pt_nuke pictured added directly to the gallon jug in appropriate measument. All topping off was done from this same original jug. Never completely flushed.
Tubing: 7/16" Masterclear from a petras kit
Fittings: 1/2" fittings of various makes with no clamps (I wouldn't reccomend the dtek style for this). The monsoons are just there from some test fitting.
Uptime: just shy of 24/7 folding/crunching
Other: Dtek Fuzion(no nozzle), Fuzion GFX2, DDC 3.2 with petras top, MCR120.2(not pictured)

a decent portion of that is dust that fell in the bowl /grumble but there was plenty of shimmery white specs before the dust

Looks pretty don't it?

As i took this picture i thought cleaning in there is gonna be a pain (it was) The black cleaned up fine off the sides though.

The smudge is from a light rub with my thumb

There was some "stuff" stuck in the pins of the cpu block but not enough to matter. Other than that just a whole lot of oxidation and plasticizer.

Man that platicizer gets everywhere doesn't it? Fittings clean up easy though

Not only had the tubing gained a brown tinge the plasticizer had too, odd.

Anywy I cleaned up the DDC, the top, the GFX2 and put them all back to work. The Fuzion gets retired because I hated the mounting system and the fittings were all replaced with monsoons. Radiator got a good flushing too and went back into the new system. Everything looked just shy of new except the copper all the ketchup/vinegar/scrubbing couldn't get anything better then a coppery brown color out of that.

RoadconeTuning
07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
wow, my loop looks completely clean i would be scared if i had pulled mine apart and it looked like that... the hoses didnt even look different and i still had 7/16" masterkleer and F1 Acid Green with UV Cold Cathodes.

inside of my GTZ after 3 1/2yrs
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7600840004_82e03b9bca.jpg

theseeker
07-24-2012, 01:44 PM
That is nasty!

ryan92084
07-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I forgot to note that my loop ran fairly warm. It was a phenom 9850 overclocked with a 4870 core only on a single MCR120.2 with some yate loons. In the spring and summer months the whole system was warm to almost hot to the touch. Temperature tends to speed things up so its probably why it looks worse than other loops of a similar age.

@roadcone the color of your gtz is just slightly lighter than the color my blocks were after getting cleaned up. I'll admit the blackness kinda scared me too.

safan80
07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
It looks like to you forget to flush the radiator before putting the loop together.

Durkadurka
07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
My loop is now 5 years old, and still going strong.
I took it apart earlier this year when I installed a new pump and a GTX580, and mine looked nothing like this.
Clean all the way, all I have gotten over the years is some white stuff building up in my reservoir, but I have cleaned this regularly.
The computer has been running more or less 24/7 except for vacations, and the pump has been going at full speed.

musicfan
07-27-2012, 08:36 AM
ryan92084, my Masterkleer tubing also turned brown after about 18 months. Had powdery plasticizer inside the tubing.

ryan92084
07-27-2012, 10:23 AM
It looks like to you forget to flush the radiator before putting the loop together.

Nope, with the exception of what was in the water that is all powdery platicizer my friend. I flush my radiotors for quite a long time with hot water. Alternating between sealing and shaking and tossing a funnel in a port and letting the water flow.

My loop is now 5 years old, and still going strong.
I took it apart earlier this year when I installed a new pump and a GTX580, and mine looked nothing like this.
Clean all the way, all I have gotten over the years is some white stuff building up in my reservoir, but I have cleaned this regularly.
The computer has been running more or less 24/7 except for vacations, and the pump has been going at full speed.

/shrug never said there were any actual porblems with my loop. The copper was just oxidation(normal) and the tubes were just rather typical for old masterklear. I'm sure the excess heat and lack of flushing contributing to some of the discoloration but everything was pretty much what I expected it to look like. This post was more about what can be expected out of an abused loop and to not sweat a little staining like some do.