PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial for windows settings to extend and help SSD Health

scgt1
06-27-2012, 06:48 PM
A while back I went through a tutorial when setting up my SSD for the first time while installing windows. I just reinstalled windows and would like to go through all the settings again to help maintain the lifespan of my ssd. I have no clue where I found it or anything so maybe there is one here? All I can say I remember it doing was making things that are deleted off the ssd drive automatically disappear vs stay in the recycle bin. I know this can be done by itself but there were other tweaks and such that went along with it.

Conquistador SW
06-28-2012, 01:55 AM
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

I think you mean something like this?

But to be honest, you don't really have to do this for reliability. I can say with confidence that you will never wear out your SSD unless it is a very old model.
Also, some features like superfetch are actually usefull and I don't like to disable them. Maybe some people here have more knowledge about what tweaks are usefull or not.

HuffPCair
06-28-2012, 03:11 AM
agreed with above, also Win7 does a pretty good job out of the box with SSDs. Really no reason to mess with it.

scgt1
06-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks guys.

Computurd
06-28-2012, 06:51 PM
there are only a few tweaks that make any sense. if you are running a modern OS, most are just rubbish. some are aimed at reducing writing as well, which with the testing here at XS we know is not a concern in the slightest.

OS-Wiz
06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
there are only a few tweaks that make any sense. if you are running a modern OS, most are just rubbish. some are aimed at reducing writing as well, which with the testing here at XS we know is not a concern in the slightest.Hey Compu, good to see you again. I over-provisioned my new Samsung 830 256GB SSD by 10%. You feel this still a good recommendation?

Zaxx
06-29-2012, 02:52 AM
10% is a good start...If you're really hard on your drive, you may want to double it. I run at 33% but all my drives are small...larger drives like yours have more breathing room so to speak. Sorry to butt in...just my 2 cents..:)