PDA

View Full Version : SuperSSpeed S301 Hyper Gold SLC - Fast enough for the Extreme Section

Highendtoys
06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
This went online about an hour ago.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4790/supersspeed_s301_hyper_slc_120gb_solid_state_drive _review/index.html

It's really that fast.

Zaxx
06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Smokin' incompressibles ...and the 120 only using 8 ICs, bring on the 240! :slobber:

Actually the 60's are amazing...2 in raid and I'd be set for an OS array until my next upgrade (and well beyond prolly).

The 60 and 120 are compared side by side here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?280689-Review-SuperSSpeed-HYPER-SLC-%28Sandforce-SF-2281-Intel-SLC-25nm%29

It'd be interesting to see what an equivalent Intel could do with their fw and high binned slc nand. Can only imagine a SF2282 w/ 16 Intel cherry picked slc chips would be amazing...

Computurd
06-25-2012, 10:07 PM
we are going to have some in for enterprise testing as well.. with the price point this might shake things up quite a bit for certain segments :)

Gilgamesh
06-26-2012, 12:42 AM
For me, 2x 60GB now, and an other 2 next year for Lynx Point :D

Zaxx
06-26-2012, 01:49 AM
we are going to have some in for enterprise testing as well.. with the price point this might shake things up quite a bit for certain segments :)

Won't be long and I bet LSI comes out with guns-a-blazin'...gunning for FusionIO I bet.

I've always went with the 'poor man's raid'...first the Apex (Internally raided), then the 4 V2 50's added one at a time...when the new 25nm 64Gb dies took over I thought that was the end for decent small SSDs...and I wept...then bought a 120GB 520. lol

If Intel 25nm SLC prices are coming down like it seems...the upcoming 20nm MLC/SLC must be showing some promising yields.

Anvil
06-26-2012, 01:59 AM
It's still looking very good!
I never thought that SLC would make such a huge difference on the SF controller.

I'm just waiting for a place to order :)

Zaxx
06-26-2012, 05:14 AM
I'm gonna have to wait for some competition to pop up...you know it's gotta be coming esp to counter the upcoming LAMD controller (Cosair's Neutron). It'll be interesting assuming Corsair's typical premium pricing. But if Intel makes one...I'm sold on the spot. :P A '6xx' series would be a nice fit right under their 7xx enterprise drives. 20nm MLC has been in mass production for over 6 months now and is just around the corner...I wonder how Intel's 20nm SLC is doing? :evil grin:

Looks like this may be the beginning of affordable and fast SLC boot drives for the enthusiast/prosumer market...bring it.

Highendtoys
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
I never understood why people want what they've never seen before. The only public LAMD stuff is just a show, a parade of numbers with the OS on the drive. Fill testing is whats important and you can only know the performance of a drive after you've filled it to half capacity and tested it.

I'm just ranting a bit and can't say one way or another if I've seen, tested or have a LAMD drive sitting on my desk :)....just saying dog and pony show numbers don't mean :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

Zaxx
06-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Don't know what to make of lamd either yet...;)

Highendtoys
06-26-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm trying to be able to tell my story about two new controllers but they have my mouth taped shut right now. I'll get to spew soon but not yet.

eva2000
06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
wow SLC that is affordable... can't wait to see this pricing trend on SLC flow into web hosting/database server markets as well :D

Zaxx
06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
NDAs are bitter-sweet like that eh?

Man I hope intel builds one of these SF SLCs...no one could optimize the SF controller FW for Intel's 25nm/20nm SLC better than Intel themselves. Probably wouldn't even need top binned nand.

eva2000
06-26-2012, 09:46 PM
NDAs are bitter-sweet like that eh? Man I hope intel builds one of these...no one could out-optimize the SF controller FW for Intel's 25nm/20nm SLC than Intel themselves. Probably wouldn't even need top binned nand.

yeah Intel 340 SSD series with these SLCs and SF !

A||uSiOn
06-28-2012, 04:14 AM
george I tend to agree

I cannot wait to offer these as a enterprise solution on our dedicated server ranges....wow this will rock the industry big time :) To be able to access 2 x 120GB for Less than $500 in RAID 1 is insane :) The reliability is just worth double the price in most high end DB servers and even affordable for front end webservers now! Oh man...a set of these in RAID 5 with these new badboys http://thessdreview.com/latest-buzz/lsi-releases-pcie-3-0-megaraid-hba-portfolio-4-1gbs-reached-with-new-pcie-gen-3-hba/

No need for RAID 10 anymore seeing these new raid cards so same iops because of the better processing cores on the cards and fastpath for IO help :) Oh i see myself spending $2000 soon as these come out to play with one of those cards.....!

Zaxx
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
yeah Intel 340 SSD series with these SLCs and SF !

Or maybe a 600 series just under their enterprise 700's.

Highendtoys
06-30-2012, 03:29 PM
george I tend to agree

I cannot wait to offer these as a enterprise solution on our dedicated server ranges....wow this will rock the industry big time :) To be able to access 2 x 120GB for Less than $500 in RAID 1 is insane :) The reliability is just worth double the price in most high end DB servers and even affordable for front end webservers now! Oh man...a set of these in RAID 5 with these new badboys http://thessdreview.com/latest-buzz/lsi-releases-pcie-3-0-megaraid-hba-portfolio-4-1gbs-reached-with-new-pcie-gen-3-hba/

No need for RAID 10 anymore seeing these new raid cards so same iops because of the better processing cores on the cards and fastpath for IO help :) Oh i see myself spending $2000 soon as these come out to play with one of those cards.....!

I can tell you without hesitation that you will see three or five drives on the new LSI HBAs and controllers at TweakTown:)

A||uSiOn
07-02-2012, 04:54 AM
love it :) cant wait!