PDA

View Full Version : Samsung S3 due out tomorrow at T-mobile

iboomalot
06-20-2012, 06:20 PM
No links but talked with T-moble guy at store and confirmed it at T-moble customer care just now

Samsung S3 will release tomorrow the 21st

Hope the prices aren't too high.

zanzabar
06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
it is supposed to be $279 on tmobile, there is a price memo on xda.

STEvil
06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Wish that was the price here... f'n retarded in canada. Either $700+ outright or probably $199 on a 3 year.

edit

Not that it matters, only Europe gets the quadcore version.

-=DVS=-
06-20-2012, 07:25 PM
AT&T is shipping early preorders today , got my tracking number :p:

zanzabar
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Wish that was the price here... f'n retarded in canada. Either $700+ outright or probably $199 on a 3 year.

edit

why is it it a 3 year contract and still $200, att and sprint are $200 here and 2 year. considering smart phone rarely get over a year of support that is ridiculous.

also in cpu tasks the s4 a15 dual benches higher than the quad core samsung or tegra, the only thing worse is that the gpu is much slower in the qualcom parts. the power consumption per cpu task is even almost half on the s4 compared to the tegra3 with the htc one x on a given cpu operation. then the engadget bench showed the att s3 to be faster on the cpu than the samsung quad but then the benches are normally qualcom sided more than apps are.

STEvil
06-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Because we have poor competition and even worse anti-competition laws.

SubZero.it
06-21-2012, 02:44 AM
Hell no..pentile amoled screen.
And I don't want to do flaming or whatever you call, but I'm always in doubt about quality of the Samsung's products.
Like the painting removing easily from the cover http://www.nexus-lab.com/2012/06/17/samsung-galaxy-s3-la-cover-si-crepa-e-si-rompe/
http://static.nexus-lab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/samsung-galaxy-s3-rotto.jpeg
Or exploding...http://www.androidiani.com/problematiche/samsung-la-storia-si-ripete-un-galaxy-s-iii-prende-fuoco-ed-esplode-115033#more-115033
http://www.androidiani.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/801262e9.jpeg
These are just my personal suggestions

iTravis
06-21-2012, 02:44 AM
I talked to a Tmo store rep and he said the price will be $229.99 after $50 MIR. Compare to the leaked price, Tmo probably reconsiders since its phone is the only version without LTE so it doesn't make any sense to charge more than other carriers. I'm gonna go to Costco though since they have a better deal, $249 with no rebate and free accessories, plus they don't charge tax off the MSRP price like Tmo does.

iboomalot
06-21-2012, 04:35 AM
WHOOOHOOO got mine coming tomorrow can't wait

WeaponX
06-21-2012, 04:40 AM
Man, Verizon, so late to the party as usual.

Chickenfeed
06-21-2012, 06:43 AM
I sold my S2X 2 days ago expecting I'd recieve my S3, which I had preordered June 6th, yesterday... spacing the fact Samsung delayed the Canadian launch another week due to so called "supply issues" Pretty sure this is PR talk for we gave priority to American providers, screw you Canada. Quite annoying given this is my main line...

As far as pentile vs RGB, I've used an HTC One X for a while and while its a great phone, the lack of upgradable memory and a removeable battery are big show stoppers for me, not to mentiuon most of the North American carriers only have the 16GB version which sucks. Given the choice I'd take a quality IPS over a pentile AMOLED "but' without a reasonable alternative on the market, the S3 is still a better product where flexibility is concerned. The build quality on the One X is quite nice but I just can't overlook the lack of added storage ( and don't use the dropbox argument as thats a joke in the land of limited data ) Theres just no way I could limit myself to 16GB as I largely use my phone as a multimedia device. Bought the 32 S3 and a 64 class 10. Go big or go home!

Just wondering, does $250 get you the 16 or the 32 stateside?

Lanek
06-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Hell no..pentile amoled screen.
And I don't want to do flaming or whatever you call, but I'm always in doubt about quality of the Samsung's products.
Like the painting removing easily from the cover http://www.nexus-lab.com/2012/06/17/samsung-galaxy-s3-la-cover-si-crepa-e-si-rompe/

Or exploding...http://www.androidiani.com/problematiche/samsung-la-storia-si-ripete-un-galaxy-s-iii-prende-fuoco-ed-esplode-115033#more-115033

These are just my personal suggestions

I will be honest, each release of Iphone or Samsung products, we see 1-2 case like that ( in general some days after the release ), what is allways strange is then we never heard about more case.. we can imagine if a product get a serious defect like that ( whatever it is an Apple or Samsung, or HTC product ), we will heard about hundred of case around the world... Hard to know if thoses guys have been unlucky as hell, or if the condition was particular ( wire the phone to a charger in the car who is not suited for this product ? damage the phone 1-2hour before ). On the screen the burn zone is exactly where is the connector for charge the battery, connect the phone ( HDMI, USB etc ).. too bad we dont have a photo with the cache removed ( the little one with the 3 screws ).

SubZero.it
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Or simply not everyone takes the pictures and just give it back for warranty. Just wondering.
Though when I hear something like this in a product (an high end product to be precise) I'll avoid buying.
Considering the price you should have gold in hands. Not something that scratches/explodes this way.

Kessian
06-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love it. Then again i was upgrading from my 3gs...

blindbox
06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Regarding the Pentile AMOLED hate, is there anyone who actually made a review of Pentile vs non-pentile (in terms of image quality, graininess, whatever) at equal screen area? Most probably a reviewer has to step up and write an app that does just that (i.e. show a photo at only 4 inch by 3 inch area) for a very equivalent review. I for one have a Pentile phone (Galaxy Note) and the photos I've taken all look darn fantastic on my phone (I don't use a screen protector either).

Pentile is designed to increase the resolution without increasing screen size for a cheap cost. Why not? I haven't seen a single visible difference. Oh and, microscopic screenshots that show each pixels doesn't count. I want to see real-world difference.

zanzabar
06-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Regarding the Pentile AMOLED hate, is there anyone who actually made a review of Pentile vs non-pentile (in terms of image quality, graininess, whatever) at equal screen area? Most probably a reviewer has to step up and write an app that does just that (i.e. show a photo at only 4 inch by 3 inch area) for a very equivalent review. I for one have a Pentile phone (Galaxy Note) and the photos I've taken all look darn fantastic on my phone (I don't use a screen protector either).

Pentile is designed to increase the resolution without increasing screen size for a cheap cost. Why not? I haven't seen a single visible difference. Oh and, microscopic screenshots that show each pixels doesn't count. I want to see real-world difference.

engadget has a screen comparison on their review, it dose not really show much since video is such lower rez but in the past with the galaxy S it was noticeable on what was amoled and what was super lcd.

engadget review for att and sprint http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-shootout-atandt-vs-sprint/

blindbox
06-21-2012, 08:38 PM
engadget has a screen comparison on their review, it dose not really show much since video is such lower rez but in the past with the galaxy S it was noticeable on what was amoled and what was super lcd.

engadget review for att and sprint http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-shootout-atandt-vs-sprint/

Still no comparison with other technology on that site. HTC One X and Galaxy S3 has similar screen size (though One X is a bit smaller) so the comparison between them should be good. We need pictures though. Videos doesn't cut it.

EDIT: While they didn't put out any pictures, at least they wrote on it.

From Engadget:
"Both are amazing screens, and we think you'd be content to sit and stare at either of them for hours on end. The use of PenTile on the GS III isn't noticeable unless you're going out of your way to prove that the jagged edges are evident at that resolution. (As a footnote, this extra 0.1 inch is mainly vertical, so despite its larger size, the GS III is just as comfortable to hold.)"

Stevethegreat
06-21-2012, 10:57 PM

edit

Actually this time around you -Yanks- get the better version... The S4 krait dualcore is faster than the A9 quadcore both in theory (benchmarks) and in practice (every day use). The quad craze on phones is a gimmick anyhow. Also you get 2 gigs of ram and better battery life because you're not using the cancer called "quad A9", lastly you also get LTE support... what's not to love?

I think I'm getting my phone from the US this time around :p

STEvil
06-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Actually this time around you -Yanks- get the better version... The S4 krait dualcore is faster than the A9 quadcore both in theory (benchmarks) and in practice (every day use). The quad craze on phones is a gimmick anyhow. Also you get 2 gigs of ram and better battery life because you're not using the cancer called "quad A9", lastly you also get LTE support... what's not to love?

I think I'm getting my phone from the US this time around :p

are those benches single, dual, or quad threaded, though? All the ones i've seen have been single or dual only, not that I bothered looking much since back when the quad was confirmed to kill tegra and manage better battery life..

Stevethegreat
06-21-2012, 11:31 PM
are those benches single, dual, or quad threaded, though? All the ones i've seen have been single or dual only, not that I bothered looking much since back when the quad was confirmed to kill tegra and manage better battery life..

Android itself is single or dual (at most) threaded anyhow. But even in quad core benchmarks the S4 Krait doesn't lag far behind due to its significantly more efficient design. A15 and S4 is the future (be it quad or dual)...

Lanek
07-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Or simply not everyone takes the pictures and just give it back for warranty. Just wondering.
Though when I hear something like this in a product (an high end product to be precise) I'll avoid buying.
Considering the price you should have gold in hands. Not something that scratches/explodes this way.

When i tell we never knows exactly what can have happend ...

Exploding Galaxy S3 was actually Microwaved

A week or two ago we repoerted about a story from a consumer who's Galaxy S3 had exploded. Engadget reports that Samsung said they were looking into it and, along with a third party investigation, have decided it occurred as a result of "external energy" being applied to the device, not anything from within the phone itself. The damage is consistent with the phone going in the microwave.

The original poster dillo2k10 has posted an update on Boards.ie, indicating it was a mistake by someone else in an attempt to recover the phone after it got wet.

The Samsung Tomorrow post linked cites a report from Fire Investigations UK finding that the phone itself was not responsible for generating the heat that caused the damage, so GSIII owners (and the pockets of their skinny jeans) should be able to breathe easier.
http://www.guru3d.com/news/exploding-galaxy-s3-was-actually-microwaved/

zanzabar
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
it is sad that people who think that the microwave can dry things are allowed to have smartphones or reproduce.