PDA

View Full Version : SSD for OS and apps only

Salamander 2
06-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I want to use an SSD for my OS and apps, and have all other files on WD HD. I know how to move the libraries (Windows 7) to the non boot drive, but how do I set it up so all the temp files, user profiles, etc are on the non-boot drive?

andressergio
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
That its not a problem mate just be sure u dont have page file or hinernate on the ssd
the rest leave it
u can also make ur own version of W7 using rt7lite

cheers
Sergio

canthearu
06-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Wait up there. Do put the pagefile/libraries on the SSD as they do very well on SSD.

Temp files should also be on the SSD as well, because that will improve responsiveness as well.

Don't worry about write endurance .... the other thread in this forum shows how even bad drives are perfectly fine to for desktop loads.

itznfb
06-09-2012, 06:45 PM
This should be in the regular storage forum: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?62-Storage

But yeah... get a drive like the Samsung 830 that is already earning a great rep for endurance and don't worry about it. As a primary OS and Apps drive it isn't going to sustain too many writes/year so it should have a long life.

Computurd
06-09-2012, 08:01 PM
i would agree with the samsung or the M4 because the price is so good on the M4. very cheap, durable and a solid SSD with a good rep.

Zaxx
06-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Off-loading writes from an SSD is the old gen1 way of thinking...before trim and when wear leveling was a bit of an unknown. I remember folks even running ram drives to help limit writes. That's all in the past...no need with modern drives.

Salamander 2
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
You have all convinced me to get a larger SSD and put everything on it except my videos and photos.

Zaxx
06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
You have all convinced me to get a larger SSD and put everything on it except my videos and photos.

Perfect. :D

If you find you have lots of extra space, you can always treat the drive to a little extra over-provisioning space...esp with SF drives.