PDA

View Full Version : EK Supremacy

Beriphent
06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
At EK's store (http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/), there is a new block listed under CPU Blocks called Supremacy. Eddy or Tibor or anyone who knows can comment on this? Supreme HF CPU Blocks seem to be in low supply at places like PPCs and EK's own store, so could this be the successor... or is it an old model?

Edit: Okay, this is a really new block after all.

Image:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6530/eksupremacynpfront8001.jpg

Link:
http://www.ekwb.com/news/217/19/EK-Supremacy---the-new-flagship-water-block/

Utnorris
06-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Not finding it.

Liam_G
06-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Its on the home page, hover over the "Blocks" drop down tab and then go to cpu blocks, it has a space reserved for the Supremacy, but no actual block or info. Kind of useless to know this unless EK confirms they are working on or are ready to release a new block.

scamps
06-04-2012, 06:19 AM
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/ek-supremacy-nickel.html

st0ned
06-04-2012, 06:28 AM
New goodies ! Yeah! when will they be avaible :P ?

lowfat
06-04-2012, 07:05 AM
I just bought another Supreme HF yesterday. But I do not like the look of this block, so I don't feel bad.

EDIT: It seems they have added this retro styling to all their blocks. I really hope they are going to continue offering the original styling for upcoming blocks. There is no way I'd ever put something like this anywhere near my computer.

ximius
06-04-2012, 07:47 AM
It seems they have added this retro styling to all their blocks. I really hole they are going to continue offering the original styling up upcoming blocks. There is no way I'd ever put something like this anywhere near my computer.

I believe there's a word for that.. what is it again? Oh yes- "FUGLY!"

Marcusk
06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
If it was a completely flat top i would definitely get this one, but those rings look really ugly imo. The same as some of their newer GPU blocks with lines all over them, i think they should try to keep it simple and stylish instead.

And the fact that the plexi ones are frosted to, i prefer the original polished top.

They have changed RAM, CPU, GPU- blocks and even their reservoirs to this new design!

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/b/a/bay-spin-res-ap_side_800.jpghttp://www.ekwb.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/b/a/bay-spin-res-ap_side_800.jpg

Erklat
06-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Seems to me their design department has seen better days. Not sleek at all.

V I P E R
06-04-2012, 08:09 AM
I've got the new catalog of EK. You can check it here: http://www.ultimate.bg/EK-Catalogue-CSQ-Design.pdf

P.S. I've uploaded the catalog to my server, because there is a size limitation for the attachments on XS. I hope it's not against the rules.

CrazyNutz
06-04-2012, 08:28 AM
WTF? Seems like they are deliberately trying to destroy their own company. The circles make me nauseous:down:

kroks
06-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Ugly :(
I prefer polished plexi

stren
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Looks like the supremacy is the supreme HF with the new fugly cover. Anyone know if there's actually a difference beyond the top? Looks like it's the same shape through the plexi.

The only thing I saw was that "EK-Supremacy is also the first CPU water block on the market which has been optimized for every modern CPU platform independently with the use of different type of jet plates to ensure the best contact with the CPU integrated heat spreader (IHS). These jet plates of different shape and thickness are enclosed with the product."

So it seems like after settling on JP1, then making JP6, that now they're back to shipping multiple jetplates lol

Evantaur
06-04-2012, 11:57 AM

caveman_2
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I've been holding off getting a 670 as I was waiting for the EK blocks to be released. Then I saw this on their website today............

I'm still hoping this is all a big unused April fools joke that a random employee of EK drunkly found over the weekend and thought it would be hilarious for Eddy and team to wake up to monday morning.

c'mon, Opaque plexi thats been stamped by a penny moulding press, you've not even bothered to shape it to the block, thats quite possible the ugliest waterblock I've ever seen, It even worse than the really old koolance blocks with the orange tinted plexi.

ryan92084
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Having just bought a new ek supreme 2 weeks ago i was upset untill i saw the picture. I don't mind the new metal badge but the rest... ugh.

gejmer
06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I do not like.:down:

zalbard
06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Seems like a nice high performance block. Might actually beat everything else on the market if their claims are true. I definitely want a different top, though, these circles are a big No-No.

tiborrr
06-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Official news:
http://www.ekwb.com/news/217/19/EK-Supremacy---the-new-flagship-water-block/

tiborrr
06-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Looks like the supremacy is the supreme HF with the new fugly cover. Anyone know if there's actually a difference beyond the top? Looks like it's the same shape through the plexi.

The only thing I saw was that "EK-Supremacy is also the first CPU water block on the market which has been optimized for every modern CPU platform independently with the use of different type of jet plates to ensure the best contact with the CPU integrated heat spreader (IHS). These jet plates of different shape and thickness are enclosed with the product."

So it seems like after settling on JP1, then making JP6, that now they're back to shipping multiple jetplates lol
Please do bother to read the text carefully. The base is completely redesigned. Also we have shipping jet plate of different shapes and thicknesses, a way to optimize the bow on each platform. We've spent a whole lot of time getting the right mount on each block.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy.html

Systemlord
06-05-2012, 02:02 AM
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but the visual design is not appealing in the least. The plexi version is blurry so the surface of the block is not easily seen, why hide the nickel plating? That is why I bought the Nickel plexi for my GTX 480, confused! Even the plexi doesn't appear the blend in with the block itself, looks cheap. My 2 cents

Church
06-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Better performance = good. Round ornaments on all of the new EK blocks = bad. Interesting to see note about optimisation via different jetplates for different CPU platforms (i'm guessing it might mean not just shape/width of cuts in jetplate, but maybe also thickness (thus different bow) - some more feedback/info on this detail from vendor needed (tiborr?).
Pitty that now one needs to choose to go for performance or for looks (thus competitor blocks), and not both in same block. Seeing these rounded ornaments also on new full covers and SLI/CF water bridges that seems "new EK design language", that very probably will be there for very least a year (if negative enough feedback from community recieved), or to stay if neutral (i somehow fail to see chance of positive feedback, or only as minor exception. Imho those round cuts only looked good in backplates at most). Oh why they didn't ask for some feedback from community first before doing such design choices? Bye bye clean lines/shapes of EK, that many liked.
Tiborr: please consider also making of some replacement tops with no rounded cuts, just EK's logo like in HF.

stren
06-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Please do bother to read the text carefully. The base is completely redesigned. Also we have shipping jet plate of different shapes and thicknesses, a way to optimize the bow on each platform. We've spent a whole lot of time getting the right mount on each block.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy.html

seems like you guys updated the page since I posted that. Now it has some more useful info/claims:

"- better hydraulic performance: due to improved design up to 20% higher flow compared to EK-Supreme HF
- better cooling performance: up to 2°C lower CPU temperatures compared to EK-Supreme HF"

Guess I'll have to buy one to throw it in my upcoming test with both of DT's blocks and the supreme HF, raystorm and rasa.

If the performance lives up to the hype, maybe people will stomach it's outward appearance ;)

Marcusk
06-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Will you discontinue the "old" sleek blocks without circles on them? You should keep selling them, i think alot of people would prefer a clean looking block over something filled with circles from the 80's.

tiborrr
06-05-2012, 02:18 AM
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but the visual design is not appealing in the least. The plexi version is blurry so the surface of the block is not easily seen, why hide the nickel plating? That is why I bought the Nickel plexi for my GTX 480, confused! Even the plexi doesn't appear the blend in with the block itself, looks cheap. My 2 cents
I like your tone on these forums much better than what you type on others. ;) Civil and argumented, just like it should be.

@churchy: Beauty is in the eyes of beholder. I see no point in arguing about the looks with anyone.

Full EK CSQ build (EVGA X79 Classy, 7970 crossfire, Corsair Dominator):
http://file.si/pfiles/243853/Supercomp_08_1200.jpg

Church
06-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Oh, now there is written about different thickness of jet plates, nice. Imho much needed for IB with it's narrow core and bad thermal contact of core & IHS. Still, tiborr: how about making alternative block versions (or at very least - replacement tops) with "old" looks?

fr0wn3r
06-05-2012, 04:31 AM
I don't mind the looks. It's not great looking but if it gets us more flow and lower temps I'll buy it. However, 2 months ago I got the Supreme HF so I will stick with it for a while. Though, I must admit that I've never been the guy that gives a damn about looks/performance ratio - functionality usually drives my mind.

I do like that metal logo detail on the top. Also, those rings on plexi top could be an interesting detail when illuminated with LEDs.

Anyway, waiting for the upcoming reviews.

Slave1974
06-05-2012, 04:56 AM
People will be arguing with their wallets. These blocks are ugly. So many people saying it should matter. If the product is awesome, but no one buys it, will you keep your doors open?

Marcusk
06-05-2012, 05:03 AM
People will be arguing with their wallets. These blocks are ugly. So many people saying it should matter. If the product is awesome, but no one buys it, will you keep your doors open?

And one problem is people will still buy it because of the supposed better performance, and since they may need a new block and the old ones aren't sold anymore, so it might look like people like the new looks on his salesnumbers even if they prefer the old blocks look.

zalbard
06-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Beauty is in the eyes of beholder. I see no point in arguing about the looks with anyone.
Would you perhaps like to put up a poll on these forums to see if people like the new design and want to have alternative 'plain' tops available?

muppenz
06-05-2012, 05:39 AM
I really love all of EK products and their quality, but the design with these circles are just honestly quite bad. I wish we'd been told sooner of coming changes to the design. How I wish they'd release the waterblock for asus gtx 680 DCII top with the old design :( I'm guessing that's out of the picture now.

DarthBeavis
06-05-2012, 06:48 AM
@churchy: Beauty is in the eyes of beholder. I see no point in arguing about the looks with anyone.
then you should be fired if you work for EK. Customers have a right to give feedback on product design. Saying you do not care what customers think is spitting in our faces. How pathetic. You guys used to do it right. Even with your missteps with quality you still had the chance to improve things. This attitude indicates we should COMPLETELY write you off.

prava
06-05-2012, 06:59 AM
I like your tone on these forums much better than what you type on others. ;) Civil and argumented, just like it should be.

Full EK CSQ build (EVGA X79 Classy, 7970 crossfire, Corsair Dominator):

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Not when your job is to sell a product. Just look at the potential customers that are complaining over the aesthetic changes, and then compare to the ones who aren't. See the trent?

then you should be fired if you work for EK. Customers have a right to give feedback on product design. Saying you do not care what customers think is spitting in our faces. How pathetic. You guys used to do it right. Even with your missteps with quality you still had the chance to improve things. This attitude indicates we should COMPLETELY write you off.

Specially when so many people complained about that issue... and, also, because of the fact that EK products have also been clean looking. We should be given, at least, the opportunity to choose between this new look and the one we had forever..and we actually liked.

AmuseMe
06-05-2012, 07:24 AM
When you're too stiff to slow down your milling process to eliminate rough milling marks - simply implement the design into the rest of the product!

DarthBeavis
06-05-2012, 07:28 AM
When you're too stiff to slow down your milling process to eliminate rough milling marks - simply implement the design into the rest of the product!

LOL - looks like Andy Warhol designs to me . . .their new spokesman should be
http://foxallaccess.blogs.fox.com/files/2011/08/122.jpg

Edited
06-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Hmm.. I don't know about this. For my own part, as a loyal EK customer for years, I will probably jump over to AquaComputer or Heatkiller the next time I am about to upgrade. The reason for that, as other has mentioned, is because the horrible circle-design quite frankly disturbs me. It looks cheap and is very little aesthetic at all. The metal imprint thingy, the new font location and technique is although not so bad, but needs to be refined.

EK Supreme Rev 1 was fantastic
EK Supreme Rev 2 with the jetplates was fantastic
EK Supreme Rev 3 with the enlarged EK logo was also good looking
EK Supreme LTX/Lite all look good also.
Now, EK Supreme Cu-versions are my favourites - will the design be put on theese also?

Look, EK - I am a big fan, hands DOWN, but I just wont put this in my computer, i think it looks horrific. I call a poll regarding the community opinions for the new design. Not just the CPU block, ofc, but the whole circle-thingy.

Best regards!

ohms
06-05-2012, 04:14 PM
My god they are absolutely horrid. I hope that the Geforce 680 blocks aren't like this. Who was the insane madman who thought that circles covering the entire block would look good?

I shall use these 2 emotes to describe the blocks :gay: :slapass:

caveman_2
06-05-2012, 05:22 PM
the xfire/sli birdge looks like its wrapped in christmas paper

mcleotg
06-06-2012, 01:49 AM
@churchy: Beauty is in the eyes of beholder.
We are a good representation of beholders (beholder: a person who becomes aware (of things or events) through the senses.) of your product and we think it looks terrible. Please go and change it.

paulbagz
06-06-2012, 02:28 AM
I'll take a block that's 2 degrees hotter if it looks better.

-PB

st0ned
06-06-2012, 02:57 AM
I'll take a block that's 2 degrees hotter if it looks better.

-PB

I definitely wouldn't. Performance >>> Looks. I think this can be seen both ways and isn't a consensual opinion in LC community.

paulbagz
06-06-2012, 04:07 AM
2 degrees though?

I wouldn't mind seeing the opionions of highly sponsored builders where looks are everything more so then performance.

Each to their own, but I would choose an older EK block for the same card over a newer circle/square block that had just that smidge better peformance.

Because in the end, even with a high OC etc, what's the difference between 47 degrees and 45 degrees under full load? (inb4 "2 degrees" smart arses :p:)

-PB

st0ned
06-06-2012, 04:15 AM
Well I would spend 50€ for 2ºC so yeah, for sure I would go with bad looking. But yeah I'm not one of those builders and I don't care about aestetics

DarthBeavis
06-06-2012, 05:36 AM
2 degrees though?

I wouldn't mind seeing the opionions of highly sponsored builders where looks are everything more so then performance.

Each to their own, but I would choose an older EK block for the same card over a newer circle/square block that had just that smidge better peformance.

Because in the end, even with a high OC etc, what's the difference between 47 degrees and 45 degrees under full load? (inb4 "2 degrees" smart arses :p:)

-PB

I am that highly-sponsored builder. If I was worried about a 2 degree delta then I would go more extreme routes then water-cooling like building in a single stage or cascade phase change system.

musicfan
06-06-2012, 07:09 AM
It is a mistake to assume the 2°C improvement until it can be verified by independent testing. We have heard this from block makers before they were tested by Martin or Skinnee or others. And, there are many CPU blocks with good flow. EK needs to prove this performance is better than what is out there by sending this block out for testing. Until then, water-coolers should feel free to judge by appearance. I am into performance far more than appearance but cannot find anything appealing in this new design. I voted No in the Poll. Sorry EK, you can do better.

CrazyNutz
06-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Beauty is in the eyes of beholder. I see no point in arguing about the looks with anyone.

According to the current poll http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?281375-EK-Circle-Design-POLL you guys (EK) are targeting a small group of beholder's. Just saying:)

xmtsystems
06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
According to the current poll http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?281375-EK-Circle-Design-POLL you guys (EK) are targeting a small group of beholder's. Just saying:)

QFT These new EK Blocks are absolutely hideous. EK's response to their customers "I see no point in arguing about the looks with anyone." shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone anymore. They have proven time and time again that they don't care one iota about their customers, or their quality control.

That quote from tiborrr is enough for me to throw out any consideration I might have of using EK again. It's like Cartman saying "Whatever, I do what I want". Eddy needs to kill that mindset in his company, and take a serious look at how low the public opinion of EK is right now.

Church
06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
xmtsystems: Don't overblow it. They just did mistake (probably very costly one though, if one would calculate potential costs of redoing designs and production lines and also having old round patterned design stock that probably will need price drop to move from the shelves) and now feel confused. They designed blocks this way with thought that it would look cool/different and felt pride in their products. It's not not-caring about customers, just costly mistake. To err is being human, cut some slack.
tyborr: btw, i liked one design bit for new supremacy - their mounting plate straight squared off edges. As for top .. with it's current shape it probably won't look very good/will look too empty with plane square shape. Not much clues as to what would be best way around it. Hmm, maybe some cuts at angle at corners, or as variant - at sides (as subvariant only in middles of the sides)? It might still catch a bit of new design of square forms/lines.

DarthBeavis
06-06-2012, 03:48 PM
xmtsystems: Don't overblow it. They just did mistake (probably very costly one though, if one would calculate potential costs of redoing designs and production lines and also having old round patterned design stock that probably will need price drop to move from the shelves) and now feel confused. They designed blocks this way with thought that it would look cool/different and felt pride in their products. It's not not-caring about customers, just costly mistake. To err is being human, cut some slack.
tyborr: btw, i liked one design bit for new supremacy - their mounting plate straight squared off edges. As for top .. with it's current shape it probably won't look very good/will look too empty with plane square shape. Not much clues as to what would be best way around it. Hmm, maybe some cuts at angle at corners, or as variant - at sides (as subvariant only in middles of the sides)? It might still catch a bit of new design of square forms/lines.

uh, no. read tyborr's response. That says NOT CARING ABOUT CUSTOMERS.

Roadhog
06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Next they will be making aluminum blocks.

defect9
06-06-2012, 08:45 PM
bubble wrap? bubble wrap.

Church
06-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Guys, aren't we taking this a bit too far? Imho XS shouldn't become another RRR flamesite. Yes, most don't like new design, fact. But :banana::banana::banana::banana:ting on vendor to such extreme levels and in three threads simultaneously .. we ought to be a bit more grownups, no?

Avathar77
06-07-2012, 04:50 AM
No!!!

Shteud
06-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Maybe Ek no response, because they office moving. And they can call extra meeting to discuss. Or they don't care :)

francis
06-07-2012, 05:42 AM
... Beauty is in the eyes of beholder. I see no point in arguing about the looks with anyone.

Well, that's a pretty bold statement, to say the least.
I personally think EK did a poor job with this new look, and as you can see, I am not alone; truth is this sort of new style, (pretending to call it "style") would be a failure.

Then there is the EK's attitude, which could be very well summarized as " We don't care of what our customers think !".
Take it o leave it, but in my opinion you should be well aware of the fact that beauty lies in the eye of the buyer.

Anyway, we will see soon enough where the truth lies.:-)

musicfan
06-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Tiborrr, I went to the EK website store, saw the new product, but no longer saw any Supreme HF CPU blocks for sale? Will EK still make/sell any model of Supreme HF CPU blocks in the future? Keeping at least the full copper and clear acrylic in production as Legacy models would make many happy.

Marcusk
06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Guys, aren't we taking this a bit too far? Imho XS shouldn't become another RRR flamesite. Yes, most don't like new design, fact. But :banana::banana::banana::banana:ting on vendor to such extreme levels and in three threads simultaneously .. we ought to be a bit more grownups, no?

If we don't make ourselves heard EK won't change back to the old design.

Waterlogged
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
If we don't make ourselves heard EK won't change back to the old design.

Tiborr has already said that he (as a member of the EK team) doesn't care about what we think about the appearance. EK has also basically blamed users (us) for the nickel plating when it clearly was bad processing (which I said from the very start) and they have repeatedly blamed users (again, us) for many other problems with their products. This mindset EK has didn't start with the plating or the cracking res issues but has been ongoing basically since the inception of the company but the majority of ppl have been willing to over look it until lately.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?267432-EK-Coolstream-revision&p=4869818&highlight=#post4869818

matt220
06-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I think EK has heard what this community has to say.

Just vote on the new design with your wallet, because that's what gets companies to make changes.

DarthBeavis
06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I think EK has heard what this community has to say.

Just vote on the new design with your wallet, because that's what gets companies to make changes.

I think the poll will help quantify our input.

zoson
06-08-2012, 02:27 PM
While there's no accounting for taste, or what people perceive as attractive... There IS such a thing as good taste and bad taste.

Good and bad taste is dictated by society. If you like the same things that the majority likes... You are said to have good taste.

Now, considering that every thread I've seen regarding these blocks is FILLED(we're talking like 90% of all replies) with comments about how the new design is HIDEOUS... there is no way for anyone to miss the point - society has deemed the design on the new EK products to be in bad taste.

Anything less than a manufacturer response offering new designs for voting... Is just poor business, and a denial of the facts. If there is no response, you can bet that I will never buy another EK product again. It's obvious they don't give a flying f*ck about their customers, other than how deep their pocketbooks are.

In short: EK, you may think the design looks good... But you all apparently have bad taste. In fact, it is not a good looking design when public opinion is taken into account.

That said... I certainly would not switch off my EK Supreme HF FG to this block regardless of any performance improvement. It's just that unattractive to me.

Buckeye
06-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Ok great, another thread on this EK design thing
After reviewing the latest set of reported posts and checking out this thread and anothers this is getting to be a bit over the top on this EK design thing.

I am going to say this and its imo only, who cares, if you don't like the new design don't buy it. There are other brands that would love to get your business.

I just don't get why the WC section has to be so over the top about every little thing that goes on and it reflexs badly on this section.

This thread will stay open... for now. But this has really gone on long enough and spanned several threads so lets play nice here or this one will be locked up also.

Keep cool everyone, its not the end of the world here with this design.

DarthBeavis
06-10-2012, 01:02 PM
So we cannot have a poll to get a consensus? This smells like protecting EK to me.

Buckeye
06-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I think by now EK has seen all the posts here DB, lets drop this witch hunt please., no one is protecting EK here.

DarthBeavis
06-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I think by now EK has seen all the posts here DB, lets drop this witch hunt please., no one is protecting EK here.

Will you issues bans for people saying they do not like the new design?

defect9
06-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I think it's just silly that we have 3 threads that have turned to EK bashing. I can't speak for anyone else, but that seems like overkill, moreso considering that EK is free to make their blocks look like whatever they want because it's their company and their bottom line, not ours. They've seen the threads, at least one of them, and have made their statement.

We know what EK thinks, and since they're not a government superpower controlling regulations on our lives I don't think we need to treat this like they're taking away our right to eat cheese or drive monster SUVs. If we've learned anything from business and politics over the last few years it should be that money means more than words when it comes to influence. If you're not controlling the money, you're not likely to be heard. Now is when you vote with your wallets.

Can we combine the threads, or simply agree to only post our dislike of the designs to a single thread?

*edit* nvm, I didn't see that the other two threads got locked. guess this is it

BeepBeep2
06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Well, by the time we vote with our wallets, I don't think EK will be doing so well...

DarthBeavis
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I think even a simple poll with NO comments would probably be better.

NKrader
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I think even a simple poll with NO comments would probably be better.

poll doesn't matter, doesn't matter what we think. you haven't seen this? ek only cares what they think.

no point in pushing more. they will see that we are right, or they wont. what ever.

i needed a reason to go swiftech anyways right?

iboomalot
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I think 12 for 206 against say it all

JoanchimMartin
06-10-2012, 02:20 PM
New EK block with better performance is my choice, circle theme: just design your own sticker and cover whole block --> problem solved (Swiftech does it with KOMODO-HD7900)
http://www.zazzle.com/custom/stickers

Sparky
06-10-2012, 02:20 PM
So we cannot have a poll to get a consensus? This smells like protecting EK to me.

Will you issues bans for people saying they do not like the new design?

Seriously? :wth:

We had a poll, we got a consensus that the vast majority of us don't like it (myself included). But some people - such as yourself - don't know when to quit. Bash bash bash bash bash WE GET IT ALREADY.

Buckeye is right, you are acting like you are on a witch hunt. Please stop filling up multiple threads about it. Enough already.

meanmoe
06-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I agree.
I don't particularly like the new aesthetics but EK is one of only 1-2 vendors that has consistently produced specific board blocks that I wanted. Of course I bought the copper versions.
There is a point in which the opinion of "the community" doesn't matter because "the community" is full of shills.
End the crusade please.

converge
06-11-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm actually pretty surprised by the widespread negative opinions on the look of EKs new design. Personally, I love them. I only saw them today but as soon as I did I wanted them. I like their simplicity and I find them quite architectural.

Anyone know if they will be making CSQ 7970 blocks?

Alexandr0s
06-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Guys, from what I've seen, most people that are raging aren't raging about the design itself, but about the statement by tiborrr and the lack of response from EK about not listening to their customers. What they're doing is in pretty bad taste, just like with the nickel plating fiasco.

Erklat
06-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Guys, from what I've seen, most people that are raging aren't raging about the design itself, but about the statement by tiborrr and the lack of response from EK about not listening to their customers. What they're doing is in pretty bad taste, just like with the nickel plating fiasco.

Not exactly. When nickel plating fiasco happened a lot of people were actually damaged by it so the rage was justified.
Their design change is their decision and whether they are good or bad will be shown to them in their statistical reports at the end of the quarter or the business year.
So, this is not the case of doing any material damage to anyone here except themselves probably, but instead a thing of damaged egos here, to which I implied on a few occasions, but some don't know when is time to pull the plug.
Been there, done that. Raged too, linked forum administration with various conspiracy theories, and let me tell you - it's usually last bus stop before permaban.
Neither any graphics manufacturer asks you about their fan sticker design, nor does Apple asks you for design of their new iSomething. You Americans of all have plenty to choose from.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

muppenz
06-11-2012, 01:53 PM
It's a shame with the new looks. I was eagerly awaiting their DCII block, only to see it with the new design and also not even a copper version of it (not going to touch any of their nickel products). I cancelled my Asus DCII and ordered a regular Asus GTX 680, alongside a HeatKiller for it. Thanks EK, but I will not support your design choices and choices of material in regards to your new product lines.

AVulgarPicture
06-12-2012, 08:47 PM
man. i cant believe no one has noticed that the new full cover blocks can only be plumbed from below unless you buy an adaptor (which is more money)

the only thing i approve of is that they dont have that gigantic fu.cking EK taking up the entire acetel section like on the ram blocks.

Evantaur
06-12-2012, 09:08 PM
man. i cant believe no one has noticed that the new full cover blocks can only be plumbed from below unless you buy an adaptor (which is more money).

It's only DC2 blocks, i believe it has been like that for a while now.

Mobsters
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
It seems to be all new gtx 680 "CSQ" blocks that have this one side only holes...

lennox
06-12-2012, 11:35 PM
I just saw these blocks on PPCs and was wondering what the hell are they thinking with the circles?? It makes them look cheap

ohms
06-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Perhaps it is a "witch hunt" because of actions displayed by EK before with the Nickel plating issues,cracked reservoirs and now this like many people have already stated.

EK is in serious need of a PR person to do damage control and to deal with the forum masses in a better manner other then "I see no point in arguing about the looks with anyone.".

Yeah, well guess what Tiborrr and Eddy? When your consumer base ultimately makes or breaks your (EKs) success you should discuss/argue on such topics or at least give some reasons as to why it was done or perhaps answer simple questions that the community/consumer base is inquiring into.

And I apologize ahead of time for this.

This smells like protecting EK to me.

I do agree with DB here.

Buckeye
06-13-2012, 05:25 AM
I can agree with you 100% that EK needs some serious PR. If it was me I would not do it here tho, you guys are all to hostile twards EK and I have no idea what it will take to clear that up.

There is nothing wrong with what ever design they come up with and I think what tiborr is saying is its a matter of taste, some like it, some don't. It's actually a rather trivial mater to discus over and over and over until our eyes bleed.

When Gigabyte came out with those Sniper Motherboards with the fake gun, ammo clip etc I think many did not like that, I know I didn't. Did it matter to them ? no as they still make them in all kinds of versions and people buy them all over the place, I would not tho.

I had other problems with that same motherboard company, boards dying, network ports going out, RMAing dead GPUs that were a month old and getting back the exact same GPU, still dead after waiting for weeks. I had customers to deal with so I did what I had to and switch brands and have never been happier.

The point I am trying to make is, if you don't like the design, then don't buy them, move to other brands that you do like.

I think the people who have agenda's here are the ones who keep posting over and over about this issue because this is like thread number 4 that just goes on and on about this design.

CrazyNutz
06-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Buckeye, the frustrating part is, I like EK I have from the beginning. When the plating fiasco surfaced, I did not drop a single comment. Why? Because I was never effected by it. Even though there were claims they made that I thought were very bogus, I remained silent.

I just want you to know I created the Poll to get opinions, particularly from EK customers. So that EK could see that %5 like it, and a whopping %95 dislike it, and in hindsight It should have been a poll with comments disabled. I apologize if it caused you any grief :)

Buckeye
06-13-2012, 05:56 AM
CrazyNutz the poll was not a problem, its cool man don't worry about it.

DarthBeavis
06-13-2012, 06:50 AM
I can agree with you 100% that EK needs some serious PR. If it was me I would not do it here tho, you guys are all to hostile twards EK and I have no idea what it will take to clear that up.

There is nothing wrong with what ever design they come up with and I think what tiborr is saying is its a matter of taste, some like it, some don't. It's actually a rather trivial mater to discus over and over and over until our eyes bleed.

When Gigabyte came out with those Sniper Motherboards with the fake gun, ammo clip etc I think many did not like that, I know I didn't. Did it matter to them ? no as they still make them in all kinds of versions and people buy them all over the place, I would not tho.

I had other problems with that same motherboard company, boards dying, network ports going out, RMAing dead GPUs that were a month old and getting back the exact same GPU, still dead after waiting for weeks. I had customers to deal with so I did what I had to and switch brands and have never been happier.

The point I am trying to make is, if you don't like the design, then don't buy them, move to other brands that you do like.

I think the people who have agenda's here are the ones who keep posting over and over about this issue because this is like thread number 4 that just goes on and on about this design.

BS. Even I would be MORE than willing to hear their side and would praise them if they agreed to offer the older style designs along side their new ones and also if they took responsibility for their quality control problems instead of blaming everyone else under the sun. I would like EK to be what they used to be as much as anyone else as I want to have their offerings as an option.

If I do not like their designs I will SAY something about it. This is a public forum. Are you saying DO NOT SAY you do not like it publicly?

EK made this a bigger problem with their response. I am surprised you cannot comprehend this.

DarthBeavis
06-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Buckeye, the frustrating part is, I like EK I have from the beginning. When the plating fiasco surfaced, I did not drop a single comment. Why? Because I was never effected by it. Even though there were claims they made that I thought were very bogus, I remained silent.

I just want you to know I created the Poll to get opinions, particularly from EK customers. So that EK could see that %5 like it, and a whopping %95 dislike it, and in hindsight It should have been a poll with comments disabled. I apologize if it caused you any grief :)

The poll was a great idea. It only got closed because XS mods thought it was mine. Still trying to figure out why they have not banned me as they have others for commenting. Hopefully I will survive here long enough to make it to the XS party (now that Fugger, Movieman, Vapor, and I are on good terms). That is the one event where all of this drama really becomes interesting.

scamps
06-14-2012, 03:45 AM
It would be great to come back to topic... other threads are closed not without reason.

Does somebody already have this block and some information regarding internals and performance? If not EK itself - perhaps someone else would provide us with selfmade tops for it :p:

st0ned
06-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Well mine should arrive today :) I'll start testing not short after. I'll take some pics of the internals too. I also have to find out what's the best nozzle to use for direct Die cooling on my 3770k. I allready have my EK Supreme -HF full Ni all benched out so I'll be to do some interesting comparations :)

tiborrr
06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I hope you do receive the competitors water blocks. Thank you for all the work you have done so far.

Best Regards,
Niko :up:

Church
06-15-2012, 02:38 AM
tiborrr: i'm curious, if HF's plates can be used on supremacy. As in it imho might be interesting to test with more restrictive plates, to turn lesser pressure drop of new drop in even better temps, with those plates seemingly being obvious option to try..

Hhe, and nice to see storm calming down. :)

tiborrr
06-15-2012, 03:17 AM
No, they can't be used on HF. They will not fit the slot on the HF.

Regards,
N.

scamps
06-15-2012, 06:12 AM

Regards,
N.

without knowing any detail of the internals of Supremacy:
What do you think about those "wave-plates" of the new Phobya? http://www.hardwaremax.net/wasserkuehlung/wasser-kuehler/482-test-phobya-uc-1-lt.html

I really would like to test such a thing in my HF.

Church
06-15-2012, 09:23 PM
scamps: for such waves jetplate needs to be thick enough (weren't HF's rather thin relatively?). Imho you'll get different results not as much from those waves, as rather from different bow/mounting pressure from jetplate's thickness, so for apple to apple comparisons it needs to be compared with jetplate of common cutout but of same thickness.

BeepBeep2
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM

Regards,
N.
You answered the opposite of his question...

scamps
06-15-2012, 11:05 PM
scamps: for such waves jetplate needs to be thick enough (weren't HF's rather thin relatively?). Imho you'll get different results not as much from those waves, as rather from different bow/mounting pressure from jetplate's thickness, so for apple to apple comparisons it needs to be compared with jetplate of common cutout but of same thickness.

You are absolutely right. Checked the HF-jetplates in the meantime once again. No chance I guess.

st0ned
06-16-2012, 01:18 AM
GSL have been joking with me >< I didn't got this block yet...

jogshy
06-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a doubt about the new EK block judging the images....
Can support two 1/2"(13-19mm tube) compression fittings without problems? I think the holes are too close together. I want to avoid what happened to me with this XSPC block ( fittings are too close to operate confortably )

st0ned
06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
You'll have no problem with that I can assure you :up: [ See last pic, those are 19/13 fittings ]

Some pics of the just arrived block, I hope to have some numbers in a couple of days.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/2012-06-16%2018.55.13.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/2012-06-16%2018.59.10.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/2012-06-16%2019.18.24.jpg

scamps
06-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Internal pics?

st0ned
06-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Sure :) the ones I have are cellphone ( SGSII ) taken though :( I'm waiting for my DSLR to charge.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/2012-06-16%2019.08.04.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/2012-06-16%2019.07.37.jpg

Edit: SLR is on the job :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/DSLR/DSC_9959.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/DSLR/DSC_9962.JPG

scamps
06-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Sure :) the ones I have are cellphone ( SGSII ) taken though :( I'm waiting for my DSLR to charge.

Got the same phone, but no DSLR ;)

Great, thanks a lot! And the jetplates? Any difference?

Martinm210
06-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Interesting, looks like they made a special extra deep cut right in the center of the microchannels.

st0ned
06-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Got the same phone, but no DSLR ;)

Great, thanks a lot! And the jetplates? Any difference?

Well I was saving some pics for the review :P But as you guys ask

3 different thicknesses

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/2012-06-16%2019.10.24.jpg

2 different kind of injection forms, the thiner is also the wider

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/2012-06-16%2019.11.18.jpg

The thicker is the one coming by default, though I'll be testing the thiner ( and wider ) one 1st as is the on that gives you less bow as I am testing without IHS, as this was the config suggested by EK.

pokazene_maslo
06-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Could you please post picture with jet plate on base? I'm interested how much of the channels is covered by the jet plate. (how long is water forced to flow through channels). Thanks.

n00b 0f l337
06-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Are these produced via wire EM or a slitting saw? Anyone know the width of the fins/gaps?

EDIT: In the 4 pics above, with the tops and blocks. Did you rotate one of them accidentally? O-ring doesn't look like it matches up on the non-acrylic one. That would make the flow lateral instead of vertical no?

st0ned
06-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Could you please post picture with jet plate on base? I'm interested how much of the channels is covered by the jet plate. (how long is water forced to flow through channels). Thanks.

Well I've the block mounted allready, although I'll leave some pics that may bring some light on that subject.

Are these produced via wire EM or a slitting saw? Anyone know the width of the fins/gaps?

Sorry I can't help with that I don't have the equipment to mesure them. A normal A4 paper edge will fit but barely.

PICS:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/DSLR/DSC_9966.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/DSLR/DSC_9967.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/DSLR/DSC_9977.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/DSLR/DSC_9981.jpg

As for the looks, tbh after having it mounted I don't find it bad at all, but that might be just me.

lowfat
06-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Honestly if they got rid of the circles and offered it in clear acrylic it would be a fantastic looking block.

st0ned
06-16-2012, 03:15 PM
The mounting is not the default offered by EK. I'm using my own mounting system on all blocks I test. Also default EK mounting wouldn't fit because I'm direct die cooling and EK screws have "stoppers".

scamps
06-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Thank you for the details! :up:

Edit:
In the meantime I read the installation manual on EK´s website. It´s also explaining some details. Well done. Very nice package with very nice screwing.

@Eddy/tiborr
Just another Plexi-top now (non-CSQ) and you got me once again ;)

rge
06-17-2012, 05:55 AM

0.3mm width, based on below.

Bitspower new cpu waterblock has 33 0.5mm width channels in same area side by side as EK supremecy would have 55 (actually EK supremecy only has 48 channels but have to add 7 to get exact total width of BP 33 channels. (use DAZMODE review video which has exact side by side of both EK supremecy and bitspower and blow it up). So 33/55 x 0.5m = 0.3mm width channels. That assumes width of channels same size as fins, but 1 fin +1 channel = 0.6mm on EK supremecy, if Bitspower published waterblock specs are correct.

EDIT: I wish all manufacturers published specs, ie width of channels/fins and depth channels/height fins (or pins if crosscut). Just from that alone you can get an idea if the block will compete with the best ones. I was going to buy the bitspower, until I read the 0.5mm channels which isnt going to have the surface area to beat EK suphf or Swiftech HD, though dont know height fins. I bought the DT Sniper instead, and tested here (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710046), but fins again wider and ? not as tall, hence didnt test as well as Suphf on my rig. Though I much prefer the aesthetics of DT Sniper.

I wonder why all manufactures dont use at least same pin/fin surface area (via fin/pin height and fin/pin number) as best performers like Swiftech HD and EK suphf (or maybe now supremecy). I assume issue is cost? To have deeper channels/taller fins requires more copper, but is milling thinner channels more difficult/costly?

If all blocks start out with at least same surface area as best performers (using less isnt going to get you the crown): ie, base size + same height fins/pins + same number channels ie using 0.3mm or smaller, then any block should compete at highest end, and possibly take crown with best jet plate...but seems as though many aiming for bang for buck ie keeping cost down and just being a degree or 2 from leaders.

I wish more would aim for highest end, to allow for more aesthetic choices at higher end.

Systemlord
06-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Honestly if they got rid of the circles and offered it in clear acrylic it would be a fantastic looking block. O and the mounting hardware, still not entirely black.
I agree with removing the circles and having the acrylic perfectly clear, here's to hoping!

Callsign_Vega
06-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Well I've the block mounted allready, although I'll leave some pics that may bring some light on that subject.

Sorry I can't help with that I don't have the equipment to mesure them. A normal A4 paper edge will fit but barely.

As for the looks, tbh after having it mounted I don't find it bad at all, but that might be just me.

I actually like the circle design on the CPU blocks. It's all the interrupted circles on the larger blocks like full cover GPU blocks that tend to look busy. It would be interesting to see many components in person though.

crazyg0od33
06-17-2012, 05:45 PM
how are the temps?

st0ned
06-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Well guys just to say sorry because the review got a bit delayed ( I should have it ready friday the latest ) because I had to change test methadology ( I hope you like the new one better :) ). I've the Supremacy tested allready but I still need to test the Supreme to compare the Supremacy with.

Just to say I'm impressed with the TIM pattern I can take out of this block, impressive !

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/TIM/2012-06-19%2019.05.13.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/Supremacy/TIM/2012-06-19%2020.27.34.jpg

oh and btw if you like what I'm doing pls help me out :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20116032/Review/stoned%20l.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/St0nedReviews)

Vicey
06-20-2012, 05:55 AM
I've been an EK customer for a long time. I'm currently using two EK GPU Blocks and a CPU block. I was quite startled to see these new top designs on all the new blocks. They do not look good at all. I have to admit that I've bought EK in the past mostly because I liked the design. The performance and price has always been very good too but it was the design that was most important to me as most blocks are within a few degrees of each other anyway.

With that said I can't see myself buying any EK block with this circle imprint design. It does not look good at all. I'm a loyal customer and I want to give you my money again so please return back to the EK designs that were classy and minimal.

CrazyNutz
06-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Interesting, looks like they made a special extra deep cut right in the center of the microchannels.

I see that. It looks like it would beneficial to align it with the core on Ivy & sandy

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1924/ivb-thermal-paste.jpg

@Vicey: I feel your pain:shakes:

Edited
06-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Interesting, but I hope they make an all clear acrylic top w/o circles.

Good datas and great pics.

caveman_2
06-22-2012, 08:08 AM
I've been an EK customer for a long time. I'm currently using two EK GPU Blocks and a CPU block. I was quite startled to see these new top designs on all the new blocks. They do not look good at all. I have to admit that I've bought EK in the past mostly because I liked the design. The performance and price has always been very good too but it was the design that was most important to me as most blocks are within a few degrees of each other anyway.

With that said I can't see myself buying any EK block with this circle imprint design. It does not look good at all. I'm a loyal customer and I want to give you my money again so please return back to the EK designs that were classy and minimal.

+1 to that

Kenjiwing
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
god the new EK design is so awful

Church
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Hmm, i wonder what would be best ways to get rid of circles? Probably easiest - slap some sticker on top (circles might show a bit through, as they seem recessed and stickers are flexible thing). Probably hardest - to make whole replacement top - especially if from metal. Hmm, or some milling down surface with circles a bit (but will probably make top even less transparent)? Or some thin metallic plate instead of sticker?
If there were custom plexi color tops or custom plated HFs by few shops, maybe something from above can be done by them for Supreme as well, if EK is not willing to make replacement top by itself out of principle?

CrazyNutz
06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Step 1). Mill it down
Step 2). Use different grits of sandpaper (i.e. 400 to 2000 grit)
Step 3) Polish with polishing compound, or flame polish

Church
06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
I tend more to thin metallic plate on top of top - as it's hard to judge how deep those decorative circles are and if milling down won't lessen rigidity of top - thus maybe worsen a bit pressure from top>jetplate>base || thermal contact quality with cpu IHS. Also seems as easy and cheaply to make / easy & not time consuming to use/mount (compared to long & tedious polishing after milling down). Heck, that plate might be even made to have etched in EK's logo in HF fashion :)

Vetalar
06-25-2012, 01:33 AM
IMHO there is no problem with circles on CPU block... slap on couple 3/4 od compressions, tubing, put this into case and one never see that circles... but one will always remember 'bout it :)

Church
07-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Noticed images of new full copper and full nickel supremacies. Unfortunately out of luck - these will come with circles too.:(

Tyborrr: is there any chance for you guys to make optional for extra price (at least acetal) replacement top without those to not have to think out ways to mill circles off by ourselves? Or masking plate as in my previous post? Imho that should make good enough compromise among customer wishes and interests of EK.
P.S.
Are new EK full gpu covers compatible with old SLI bridges?

Vetalar
07-23-2012, 12:06 AM
thinking 'bout start producing 0.5mm thick black pvc plates to hide those circles on blocks... $4.99 each :)

Church
07-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Hmm, if no incentive/response from EK, then i'm guessing it's matter of pride for them, as it might subjectively mean admitting fault/wrong decision, like for MS admitting that at least for administering servers scriptability and automating power CLI is required/important enough to implement it as well alongside GUI wizards and stuff (and it took decades for them to do so with powershell and alikes :/).

So it looks like most probably i'll have to buy block and try realizing some of DYI ideas of mine to fix looks. I wonder what shape would fit best new angular shape of block and mounting plate. Plain blank square imho will be a bit too plain :)

penguins
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't think the new design looks too bad on the CPU block, Minus the ek logo in the corner. and the fact there is a circle in a hole, but then the other hole is between two circles?

Once blown up to the gfx cards it is ... just too much. is this Dulci EK? Louis Vitton EK? GUCCI!

edit: I do like the glazed look of the acrylic though. I would pay for a block that was this new one with just glazed acrylic and ek logo somewhere.

Durkadurka
07-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Well, just to chime in, I've been using EK blocks so far and has been very pleased with them.
However, these new blocks are just too ugly, so I will go for XSPC on my IB build, much better looking and from what I have seen about the same or better performance.

BringerOdeath
07-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Personally I really like the circles(I always like being in the minority, I guess). I really like anything that is modern contemporary looking....:P. I am thinking about painting the circles in white on my gpu blocks I have on the way....

Durkadurka
07-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Personally I really like the circles(I always like being in the minority, I guess). I really like anything that is modern contemporary looking....:P. I am thinking about painting the circles in white on my gpu blocks I have on the way....

James May? :p:

mpower1001
07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Thank god I purchased my ek supreme hf nickle with plexi when I did :up:

Anyone want to buy it for $400.00...j/k :D

scamps
07-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Could have been a great block without CSQ. Now it is only a great performing block. Temps on par with Aquacomputer´s Kryos, flow a lot of better.

http://www.abload.de/img/120727001rui4g.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=120727001rui4g.jpg)

Evantaur
07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
win win would be just to sell both, classic and CSQ versions, everyone would be happy

lowfat
07-27-2012, 12:26 PM
win win would be just to sell both, classic and CSQ versions, everyone would be happy

Agreed.

jomama22
07-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm torn between understanding why ek wanted to differentiate themselves (most blocks do have that same "industrial" look just in a slightly different way) and who would cover an entire block in damn circles lol but being as I am all about performance, I will stick with ek. But we all know heat killer has the sexiest blocks.

Church
07-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Just design wise i like most CPU-360, DT Sniper, AC Kryos, EK HF, in this order. HK somehow looked ugly to me. HF gained extra in looks if was used with other EK stuff like gpu full covers/SLI bridges. For supremacy other components with circles on it won't help much, one ugly component is easier to hide.

D749
08-01-2012, 05:02 PM
It looks like this block is designed to be run with the two ports in a horizontal orientation. Can this block be rotated so that the ports are aligned vertically? I was thinking of using this with a Asus RE4 and 3930k.

Thanks.

stren
08-01-2012, 05:59 PM
It looks like this block is designed to be run with the two ports in a horizontal orientation. Can this block be rotated so that the ports are aligned vertically? I was thinking of using this with a Asus RE4 and 3930k.

Thanks.

Yes you could, nearly every block can be rotated on socket 2011 - however it may not perform quite as well because the channels/fins won't be aligned with the die as well. I haven't tested to see if the latter is the case though, chances are the difference will be small.

scamps
08-04-2012, 12:59 PM
My personal statement regarding CSQ :D

http://www.abload.de/img/120804051jlu1v.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=120804051jlu1v.jpg)

st0ned
08-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Sand paper ?

Evantaur
08-04-2012, 03:08 PM

http://www.abload.de/img/120804051jlu1v.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=120804051jlu1v.jpg)

i love this new desig...oh wait. :rofl:

scamps
08-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Sand paper ?

belt grinder - sand paper (280 -> 1200) - polishing felt ;)

@Evantaur
back to simplicity :D

Regarding block orientation: there seem to be differences in machining of the blocks

st0ned

Mine
http://www.abload.de/img/120805004e7eo9.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=120805004e7eo9.jpg)

And on my 3770K I have better performance in vertical orientation. But the approx. 0,5° is not worth thinking about.

Zeus
08-05-2012, 03:38 AM

Now egrave the old EK logo and you're set. :D

Church
08-05-2012, 06:20 AM
scamps: what do you think of setting up some service that resells "fixed" supremacies? Somehow i predict potential demand for such :)

scamps
08-05-2012, 11:21 AM
scamps: what do you think of setting up some service that resells "fixed" supremacies? Somehow i predict potential demand for such :)

I would really like to find someone who has the right machines for that. Really don´t understand that EK is not willing to offer replacements ...
I was a Supreme HF supporter for a long time now, but I will never invest such big effort to make a block look better as it is again ... next time I will buy me another one - if EK sticks to CSQ clearly of another brand.

lowfat
08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Even a small etched ek logo in the corner. Then polish it up. That would look fantastic IMO.

rge
08-05-2012, 02:09 PM

:up::up: Much better than the circles!

And yeah, I bet Ek would sell many more if they offered alternative tops. But at this point doesnt sound like they are interested in customer input.

Church
08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
scamps: imho 20$ replacement tops would be really hot items made by EK themselves .. and indirect sign admitting wrong on design decision, +also will reopen flaming/whining along the lines - "you made such for supremacy, why not for <insert other blocks/sli bridges/pump tops>" thus probably won't be, despite very probable high potential demand by customers. It would be pitty for supremacy to win performance wise (but i somewhat expect it) in stren's roundup, as again users would have to choose performance OR looks, but not both in same block.

Zeus
08-05-2012, 10:43 PM
If they're smart they'd make a version with and without the hideous circles so the buyer can choose. I bet they'll stop making the circled ones seeing the difference in sales after a few weeks though.

Vetalar
08-05-2012, 10:53 PM
interesting how deep those circles are? when we sand down 'em it will shorten thread a bit - won't it cause problem with long-threaded fittings?

scamps
08-06-2012, 07:07 AM
it is less than 1 mm, no problem at all. And really long-threaded fittings shouldn´t be used with this block anyway (just count the threads).

Edit:

http://www.abload.de/img/120806007a7suo.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=120806007a7suo.jpg)

D749
11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
How the hell are you suppose to get the circular o-ring to sit in the non-circular slot when replacing the base plate? This is ridiculous. :shakes:

Zeus
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I s'pose you have never opened up a fullcover GPU block? :D The Supremacy was pretty easy actually, the Supreme was a lot harder to get the O-ring back in place.

D749
11-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I s'pose you have never opened up a fullcover GPU block? :D The Supremacy was pretty easy actually, the Supreme was a lot harder to get the O-ring back in place.

No. I finally got it on. Trying to get it to sit in the damn channel is impossible as far as I'm concerned. So I instead positioned in the interior of black mounting bracket (which has a larger diameter) and then sandwiched everything together that way. No leaks. :D

EK sent me this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M9V-n9if2U&feature=share&list=UUKEr-LOB8PwKcuGoKo1uYqg I'd love them to show me assembly video, not sped up, of the Supremacy which has a less circular channel for the o-ring than the Supreme. ;)

TJ Tom
11-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Wow. I am shocked.

I was finally considering buying a new graphics card because the HD5850 I have now was starting to show it's age. I once bought a graphics card (4850) before buying the waterblock which turned out to be a big hassle because I was forced to buy a Swiftech universal block when I really wanted a Full Cover EK block.

For my next card, the 5850, I bought the EK block first (Nickel/Plexi) and then tried to find a reference 5850 to fit it onto. Now I was thinking about a 7970 so I started looking for a nice block first. First stop: EKWB

I saw the design with the stripes before and I didn't really approve but I would've gone with it anyway, then I saw the circle design and my mind just blew up. I couldn't even try to like it. Ugly in every aspect. It even makes the stripe design look like DA BOMB as Jessy would have said.

I decided to give XS another visit to see what the others thought of it and no surprises there either, everyone hates it. Then I read on to find this:

From someone who works at EK?

I only buy EK products because (normally) they are the best looking blocks with the highest build quality. But this post made me puke in my mouth and swallow it after, only to puke again and destroy my keyboard.

WTF? As a company you should learn from your mistakes, listen to feedback instead of saying you don't discuss looks. Let me enlighten you here, EK has always been about looks.

So...What the ****. This is my last purchase (untill you make another stunning looking block) but I am disgusted by your comment.

Evantaur
11-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Wow. I am shocked.

I was finally considering buying a new graphics card because the HD5850 I have now was starting to show it's age. I once bought a graphics card (4850) before buying the waterblock which turned out to be a big hassle because I was forced to buy a Swiftech universal block when I really wanted a Full Cover EK block.

For my next card, the 5850, I bought the EK block first (Nickel/Plexi) and then tried to find a reference 5850 to fit it onto. Now I was thinking about a 7970 so I started looking for a nice block first. First stop: EKWB

I saw the design with the stripes before and I didn't really approve but I would've gone with it anyway, then I saw the circle design and my mind just blew up. I couldn't even try to like it. Ugly in every aspect. It even makes the stripe design look like DA BOMB as Jessy would have said.

I decided to give XS another visit to see what the others thought of it and no surprises there either, everyone hates it. Then I read on to find this:

From someone who works at EK?

I only buy EK products because (normally) they are the best looking blocks with the highest build quality. But this post made me puke in my mouth and swallow it after, only to puke again and destroy my keyboard.

WTF? As a company you should learn from your mistakes, listen to feedback instead of saying you don't discuss looks. Let me enlighten you here, EK has always been about looks.

So...What the ****. This is my last purchase (untill you make another stunning looking block) but I am disgusted by your comment.

Ekshop has some of those older design 7970 waterblocks left

c.ruel
11-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I bought my EK LTX cpu block because I wanted something with a nice clean look. I adored all the old EKWB black acetal designs, easily the most understated waterbloocks out there in a sea of bling chrome ones. They have now totally ruined that with this CSQ stuff.

Stealth42o
11-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Nominating this as the most ridiculous, petty thread of the year. Seriously guys? :shrug:

Vetalar
11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
most of the time i understand that it's only EK business to invent and use designs. and they don't have to ask us: do we like it or not... and performance still very good... but sometimes i ask myself - why there was such drastic design change?
/OT