PDA

View Full Version : Can You Benchmark The DPI of a Optical Mouse?

Kunaak
01-30-2004, 09:41 PM
weird question-but a legit question....

I need a good high DPI mouse for games, and I wanna see what my current mice can do so I can aim higher for more quality.
not all mice are listed with thier DPI and this is very frustrating cause for all I know I can spend $75 on a good optical mouse, that has a DPI of 250.

my current mice are always a problem in very sensitive games, like in sniper portions of a game or where the mouse controls the perspective.
I have 2 mice here and both do this.
both are plain old $20-30 dollar mice, with nothing all that fancy about them.

but now that I am gonna be playing more games for awhile, I want a good high DPI mouse to go with it.
thing is, I can't find many mice with thier DPI listed, and the few that do list them, are brands I don't want, like kensington-it just feels like junk, but it had a 800 DPI rating.

the mice I like don't list the DPI-like MS and logitech...

is there anything to benchmark a mouse?

its not a huge thing to do, the computer already reads how many pulses the optical mouse does, when you move it...
I just need something that will tell me, what it already knows.

Garrett
01-31-2004, 08:01 AM
I don't know much about DPI for mice but I'm really precise when it comes to the mouse "keeping up" with very fast movements, and in that area the Logitech MX500 does it all for me, nice to hold and nice to work with :thumbsup:

PS I sent you a PM about my Antec 550 TC... maybe you can help?

Kurupt
02-09-2004, 12:17 PM
If your looking for a gaming mouse get a Logitech Mx500, or a boomslang. Those r like the only 2 mouses that r legit for gaming.

Death ++
02-16-2004, 11:33 PM
These (http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2102&cat=34&page=1) boomslang things look awsome. 2100 DPI. anyone know where i can get one cheaper? i wouldnt mind trying one out

Kunaak
02-17-2004, 01:24 AM
whoa...

nice mice, wish I could find them at newegg :(

sandman
02-18-2004, 08:22 PM
I hear it has quite a learning curve, as it's much more precise than normal mice, so it's different as far as controlling it goes......

or so I've heard.

sinn
03-04-2004, 10:19 PM
mx700 is most responsive mouse ive ever used, wireless optical

wimpie007
03-06-2004, 08:16 AM
the 'little' brother mx500 has an even lower latency, due to the fact the signal doesn't have be alternated into radio waves and again to digital signal

Peckers
03-06-2004, 08:28 AM
get the mx510, should be great for gaming, getting one myself soon.

sky
03-06-2004, 10:56 AM
just a note.
never ever use a wireless mouse. NEVER!

i had one logitech - dunno which one anyway.. cordless optical. well it worked ok but it chewed up batteries like nothing. once i was p!ssed of enough of it wasting huge amounts in one-way batteries, i got myself a recharger + 2 sets of special rechargeables. back when they were new they lasted for a few weeks. but a year down they were wasted after 4 days (!) of normal working. so i bought the mx500 and love it. it's got cable, sure but i'd do it again any darn time. never again cordless. NEVER.
just my 2ct

Peckers
03-06-2004, 01:13 PM
you can't really blame the mouse if you buy crappy batteries. Quality 2100mAh+ NIMH's is good for around 1000 charges. I don't understand why cordless sell so well though, I mean it's only practical if you surf via TV from your sofa for example.

X-Ecutioner
03-06-2004, 02:18 PM
i like my mouse man dual optical (logitech)

2 lasers ....yeah :P

perfect for gaming imo ...

X

Kunaak
06-23-2004, 11:21 AM
heres a mouse benchmark finally.
it's not perfect, cause it's easy to trip it up by simply opening other programs at the same time you can make it look like your sampling rate is much higher then it really is.
but it's the closest anything comes to benchmarking a mouse.

http://tscherwitschke.de/download.html