PDA

View Full Version : Asus Maximus V Formula and Gene pictured - LN2 on next-gen Intel CPU included

Micutzu
03-06-2012, 12:48 AM
We got to meet some of the Asus people last night in Hannover and check out the latest ROG motherboards, the Maximus V Formula and Maximus V Gene. The little Gene wonder looks like a beast, clocking next-gen :) Intel CPU under full-pot LN2 beyond ... a figure we can't disclose yet :). Formula will come later though- around June, as the integrated waterblock delayed production a bit. No word on Extreme version yet, it might not come out if there is no market demand.

Full story: Asus Maximus V Formula @ lab501.ro (http://lab501.ro/stiri/cebit-2012-asus-arata-maximus-v-formula-in-premiera)

http://lab501.ro/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/MG_7167-580x658.jpg

You might know this guy :):
http://lab501.ro/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/MG_7238-580x570.jpg

badbaker`
03-06-2012, 01:00 AM
What is that in the top left of the board, near the 8 pin cpu socket? And why is it sitting on another motherboard?

AMDnord
03-06-2012, 01:03 AM
iits mini pci-e or whatever its called!

they are using the pcb of another mb as benchtable :)

badbaker`
03-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Ah, yeah just read the other post about this board and it explained it. Nifty

K404
03-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Don't want included FET waterblock. Increases cost for tiny purpose. Especially if the waterblock delays production :(

SoF
03-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Omg need to find this guy :D

Micutzu
03-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Michael was there last night :). You need to organise another beer evening SoF, last year was awesome.

Don't want included FET waterblock. Increases cost for tiny purpose. Especially if the waterblock delays production :(

Actually if you want the board for OC purposes you might want the Gene, it's the same where it matters (VRM, BIOS etc) and it's less loaded with useless stuff.

mav2000
03-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Is that WB made of copper or Alu?

Micutzu
03-06-2012, 03:49 AM
Pretty sure it's Al, with one heatpipe and one waterpipe integrated.

El Mano
03-06-2012, 04:04 AM
If it's Al then it's beyond useless, it's plainly stupid, an useless increase in fabrication cost. Asus's IQ has dropped to negative numbers if it's finally made of Al.

l0ud_sil3nc3
03-06-2012, 04:12 AM
I can't wait to see the "undisclosed" numbers:D

Raja@ASUS
03-06-2012, 04:57 AM

Not correct :)

Some of this info should not really be out at this point anyways. Creates a mess for us all round.

paulbagz
03-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Please for the love of God make it out of Cu.

Have you guys learnt nothing from the Striker era of boards?!

-PB

bingo13
03-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Please for the love of God make it out of Cu.

Have you guys learnt nothing from the Striker era of boards?!

-PB

It is copper piping.

El Mano
03-06-2012, 05:37 AM

Some of this info should not really b
e out at this point anyways. Creates a mess for us all round.

Thank you Raja, I couldn't believe ASUS could had made such a mistake.
Micutzu, you shouldn't spread on the forums such statements without confirmation.

M.Beier
03-06-2012, 06:10 AM
The guy on the picture, is the one that has more Apple products with him than ASUS, i-phone i-book (macbook), i-pad, i-hat, right? :)

Michael was there last night :). You need to organise another beer evening SoF, last year was awesome.
If that happens let me know ~24 hr before, I'll def fly in then :p:

Micutzu
03-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Micutzu, you shouldn't spread on the forums such statements without confirmation.

Sorry mate, i touched it and looked at it and it seemed Al, not sure though.

Philip_J_Fry
03-06-2012, 07:01 AM
so that black PCI-E 16x slot at the bottom is PCI-E 2.0? i mean it should do tri SLI/CF X right? wonder what bandwidth it provides for tri SLI though? like x8, x4 x4 @ PCI-E 3.0?

sholvaco
03-06-2012, 08:12 AM
^
Should be 3.0. 8,4,4 split is officially supported on this platform and the wiring suggests it as well (similar to most mid-range and better ATX Z77 boards) .

sin0822
03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
who is the dude?

BTW cool board, so full pot?

The Jesus
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Wait... What in the hell is the difference between Extreme and Formula? Why does Asus have like ten different names for the ROG boards, Maximus, Crosshair, Formula, Extreme, Rampage, and Gene (not including the "-Z" ones, don't know what that difference is either)? Pretty sure the people that are buying these boards can handle knowing what socket they have.

K404
03-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Well.... think about it :)

Gene: Micro

Crosshair: AMD (not performance contenders right now, so only one board)

Maximus: Intel mainstream

Rampage: Intel high-end

Formula: less stuff that normal users don't need

Extreme: Hello LN2.

Hondacity
03-06-2012, 10:32 AM
-77c

ram pot too

sweet setup

The Jesus
03-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Well.... think about it :)

Gene: Micro

Crosshair: AMD (not performance contenders right now, so only one board)

Maximus: Intel mainstream

Rampage: Intel high-end

Formula: less stuff that normal users don't need

Extreme: Hello LN2.

Why are they using LN2 on the Formula then? :P

Also, what's the "-Z" on some boards? I'm thinking just to denote Z68, but not sure. The whole Rampage/Maximus is kind of unnecessary, just change the Roman numeral, lol.

Thanks for summing it up though :up:

Hondacity
03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
its ln2 on the gene board.

El Mano
03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Sorry mate, i touched it and looked at it and it seemed Al, not sure though.
:) No problem, it's just that I was so upset that I freaked out.
I actually envy you, you looked at it and touched it, the rest of the mortals will have to wait for June.

sin0822
03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
yea the name setup seems pretty good to me, makes sense. I know K404 got it perfectly correct with the naming!

matose
03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
who is the dude?

AndreYang

BTW cool board, so full pot?

Almost, -170 to -180 should be ok for high clocks

Hondacity
03-07-2012, 12:03 AM
wtf oh yeah :D

sin0822
03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
AndreYang

Almost, -170 to -180 should be ok for high clocks

gratsi :) I didn't know what he looked like.

Micutzu
03-09-2012, 01:52 AM

Some of this info should not really be out at this point anyways. Creates a mess for us all round.

On the official page it says copper waterpipe and anodised aluminium heatsink, wich doesn't contradict my statement like your post does, it looks really bad for you as a company official to play with disinformation like that.

Raja@ASUS
03-09-2012, 02:11 AM
On the official page it says copper waterpipe and anodised aluminium heatsink, wich doesn't contradict my statement like your post does, it looks really bad for you as a company official to play with disinformation like that.

Is that WB made of copper or Alu?

And this is what then followed:

If it's Al then it's beyond useless, it's plainly stupid, an useless increase in fabrication cost. Asus's IQ has dropped to negative numbers if it's finally made of Al.

The initial question asked about the waterblock/pipe to which you responded it being Alu and made no mention that you were refering to the heatsink only. That was not correct, the pipe is Cu. Not to mention the other stuff that had to be edited ;)

The water makes no contact with the heatsink, the question was made relative to the chances of the water passing through an Alu chamber.

The article information was not up at the time these posts were made, so if there were any doubts you should have contacted your local TPR and asked him before posting a "guess". The rest is just semantics, so let's not try to paint it as anything else.

Micutzu
03-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Exactly what I was saying, you shouldn't play with words and leave people to understand something not true, when you are a company official. My statement was true but incomplete, you said only a that it's "not correct", a clear statement wich indirectly led people to understand it's all copper, not true.

As far as editing goes, I don't think anyone edited my posts, the only thing that happened is I edited my own post out of my own will, if you are implying companies are applying censorship on these forums you are again playing with words and damaging your company's image.

Raja@ASUS
03-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Exactly what I was saying, you shouldn't play with words and leave people to understand something not true, when you are a company official. My statement was true but incomplete, you said only a that it's "not correct", a clear statement wich indirectly led people to understand it's all copper, not true.

As far as editing goes, I don't think anyone edited my posts, the only thing that happened is I edited my own post out of my own will, if you are implying companies are applying censorship on these forums you are again playing with words and damaging your company's image.

I was talking about your article. ;) Nobody was under the impression the whole sink was copper, they were however under the impression the waterpipe was made of Alu as evidenced above. I am not going to get into semantics.

I will finish off here with this: Had that incomplete post not have been made I would not have had to step in. Please, next time contact your TPR if you are unsure of anything before discussing specifications & NDA information. I think we can both agree that it is a good idea to do so :)

Otis11
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I was talking about your article. ;) Nobody was under the impression the whole sink was copper, they were however under the impression the waterpipe was made of Alu as evidenced above. I am not going to get into semantics.

I will finish off here with this: Had that incomplete post not have been made I would not have had to step in. Please, next time contact your TPR if you are unsure of anything before discussing specifications & NDA information. I think we can both agree that it is a good idea to do so :)

After reading your comment I was under that impression.

Sorry but I've gotta side with Micutzu here. He made it clear that he was not sure, but he thought it was Al. If he's wrong, that's fine. (Whether or not he was wrong depends on how far into semantics you want to go, but by saying he touched it and it felt like Al, it's clear he's talking about the HS)

Your comment that he was wrong and your comment in this (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?279502-Maximus-V-GENE-and-Maximus-V-Formula-preview-info-amp-media-roundup&p=5064509&highlight=#post5064509)thread:

It's Cu. :)

With no context other than the comments above (which discuss the heatsink, heat pipe AND the WB) is clearly misleading.

It is nice to have official representatives on the forum, but as a representative you are held to a higher standard - If you say something in fact it must be true and it cannot be misleading.

Not meaning to jump on you, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when people with company affiliations mislead consumers.